Menu

Moving Beyond the Page?

ShutterBug

I think it's ok for younger gifted kids...I wasn't hugely impressed with it or anything, but it's not bad. It probably wouldn't be my first choice.

It'll also depend on "how" gifted your kids are - I think it's more for the accelerated to mid-range level. If your child is PG or close to it, I wouldn't spend the money on the program. Just my thoughts.

I went to a presentation about it by the author at the local homeschool convention last year. I was not impressed. It seemed to be the homeschool equivalent of the once a week pull out class - basically just enrichment for what they would be doing in a regular ps class. It was not really compatible with the classical rotation.

I have used bits and pieces to supplement and my daughter loved it! However, it is at the level of an average child, so purchase at least one level above what they state. The science and history provide more divergent thinking opportunities than you'll find in your average hs program. You will also find this approach in other units, but during a busy year this saved me time and was loads of fun for my dd when she was 7. It is politically correct so look over the books at the library or bookstore before you buy a unit. The science/social studies pages are not typical workbook and encourage thinking at a conceptual level, but the novel pages were more traditional.