Menu

Hm...which book?

We're using Oak Meadow 5 this year and roughly every three weeks it assigns a particular book, which my just-turned-10 y/o daughter and I always read together, and at the end she writes some sort of report or does some sort of writing assignment about it.

So far the books have all correlated with our social studies topics (like we're currently doing "Johnny Tremain" and before that we did "The Witch of Blackbird Pond").

Anyway for this "free reading book" I'm not sure... should I just let her pick whatever book she wants? Should I give her a choice of a few books? Should I just pick the book? Should it continue to be something on the historical side, or should we veer off and do something just for fun? What would YOU read or do?

(Would it be terrible of me to just pick Harry Potter and go with that? LOL- she's never read it and I'd love to RE-read it, with her. :D)

For school reading, I pick books that she wouldn't pick that have "something" to offer. They aren't all historical or "educational." Some are fun books that I want to introduce her to. Based on your description... Go for the Harry Potter.

:iagree: Or give her a choice of a few books you grab from the library - Harry Potter could be among them. But I would think of books that have something to offer but aren't likely to tie into any social studies or other school topics.

Both? :) My youngest & I usually have 3 books going at the same time, and a 4th if she is has an audio book. So, a history book (we take turns reading aloud) a seasonal book that I read aloud (A House With a Clock in it's Wall for Halloween, Or A Christmas Carol, etc or a Harry Potter, which we've finished and she has listend to umpteen times now lol), a library book she or we have picked out that she reads on her own , whatever she chooses as audio, which enjoys as she falls asleep. The audio book is most often familiar; a repeat of a book we have read together, or that she has read on her own.

Edited by LibraryLover

Both? :) My youngest & I usually have 3 books going at the same time, and a 4th if she is has an audio book. So, a history book a seasonal book (A House With a Clock in it's Wall for Halloween, Or A Christmas Carol, etc or a Harry Potter, which we've finished and she has listend to upteen times now lol), a random library book she's picked out, and whatever she chooses as audio.

Ha yeah we already do that, too. We'll be reading whatever the "free reading book" ends up being, we're still reading "On The Banks Of Plum Creek" together for fun (working our way through the series) and she's usually reading 1-2 books on her own, too- right now she's starting "The Adventures Of Pinocchio," and sometimes there's something assigned from her library book club, and sometimes I pick up on one of the optional/supplemental books mentioned in our syllabus and so on. So yeah we've always got a few books going anyway!

There ya go! Harry Potter it is.

My dd also enjoyed The Mysterious Benedict Society books. I meant to metion these earlier.

Ha yeah we already do that, too. We'll be reading whatever the "free reading book" ends up being, we're still reading "On The Banks Of Plum Creek" together for fun (working our way through the series) and she's usually reading 1-2 books on her own, too- right now she's starting "The Adventures Of Pinocchio," and sometimes there's something assigned from her library book club, and sometimes I pick up on one of the optional/supplemental books mentioned in our syllabus and so on. So yeah we've always got a few books going anyway!
Edited by LibraryLover