Menu

List of people willing to grade papers?

This is for subject work - not just English essays...

This should really be on the networking board, but since it doesn't seem to get much action, I thought I could propose the idea here and if it takes off, it could move to the Experts Exchange subboard...

After looking for TC Economics and Anatomy tests and Leanna proposed writing papers, I realized that I would still need someone to grade the paper. She mentioned how her college level dd graded papers sometimes (but not in that subject) and proposed that I see if someone here would have a student in the economics field that could do it...

So what I would like to propose, though I'm not sure of how to exactly take care of the logistics, is that we start lists of people who could grade papers and the fields in which they could do it, price, as well as the curriculum they have experience with, etc. Oh dear, that is sounding more complicated. Then there would need to be some kind of rating system...

It could be college students with a major in that field or a parent who works in or has a degree in that field...or I'm sure there are other possibilities too...

Moderator - is this possible - kind of like the "for sale" boards?

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

This is a great idea.

My daughter, a senior, was in the process of applying to colleges. Two of the colleges wanted samples of graded English essays that had been written within the past 6 months. Unfortunately, my daughter had nothing on hand (her current English professor at the CC has had the students doing only creative writing) and prior to that she had CLEPped the English Comp course. Fortunately, she decided not to apply to either college.

So yes, this would be very helpful.

My dd has graded papers for homeschoolers.

Occasionally, she has graded the essay of a high school student via email. Different parents have approached her and wanted their dc to receive a grade from an outsider. A few high school students have solicited her help on their own (ds included ;)). Some parents just want the perspective for themselves. They usually pay about $10/paper. (Ds gives her a back rub.)

Dd has also done instructive writing/ tutoring with 3 or 4 jr. high level kids. This was done in person while she was still in high school. These students needed basic instruction and the one on one interaction was necessary.

This year dd is grading for a professor so she doesn't have much time. However, college students need $, and I'm sure if anyone needed a college student to grade an essay, it wouldn't take long to find a willing grader.

This is a good idea. I'm not interested in grading a lot of papers right now (it would depend upon how much time I had on my hands), but I certainly would take questions from people studying astronomy. Just a few weeks ago I drove to Des Moines to do an evening program for a group of homeschoolers. They simply could not figure out how the "sun moved further east in the sky" and right ascension.

Thinking about it, I doubt there would be a a huge number of astronomy papers to grade, right? LOL! But I'd definitely answer questions. :001_smile:

I'm just a self-taught amateur astronomer who fell in love with the night sky when my dd was doing an astronomy unit in 3rd grade. I'm not so good at the physics/math side, but in the 13 years that I've been under the night sky, I've gone from night-sky-dummy to president of an astronomy club.

:D

P.S. In case it matters, I do have have a master's degree in English--specialization in linguistics--and taught English as a 2nd language for a number of years. Composition was not my specialty, but I hope I could handle an astronomy paper. :lol:

Edited by Jean in Wisc

I'm glad to see there is some interest and that we have some more subjects covered...:001_smile:

(Ds gives her a back rub.)

This is a friendly idea for siblings - cute.

Here is something I posted on the College board thread x/p about it...

"Logistics wise -just talking about this for others interested in the process... WORD does seem necessary...

then there are number of pages, etc to consider which I would think would effect price -

Rubric - it would be good to have some general grading rubric in place. Any ideas?"

Joan

I'm glad to see there is some interest and that we have some more subjects covered...:001_smile:

This is a friendly idea for siblings - cute.

Here is something I posted on the College board thread x/p about it...

"Logistics wise -just talking about this for others interested in the process... WORD does seem necessary...

then there are number of pages, etc to consider which I would think would effect price -

Rubric - it would be good to have some general grading rubric in place. Any ideas?"

Joan

I just contacted a mama here about doing this for a paper of DD's. The mama is charging hourly for her time and I sent her the assignment as it was explained to DD, expectations, the paper, and then the "rubric" that was given to Ana - what an 'excellent' paper would have vs. a 'good' paper, etc. Ana wrote the paper with a certain criteria in her mind when she wrote it so we felt it was important to include so that she could be evaluated on that criteria. We'll see if that is sufficient information. :)