Menu

Veritas Woes...

Honey Bee

I was really excited about using VP Bible and History this year with Scholars, but it has turned into juggling lesson plans, cards, worksheets, and reading seems like an afterthought. We are reading much less than I though we would be. I want books at the center. My kids and I love to read. Will this change as the program goes on, i.e, more reading? We are on week 6 in OTAE. I want books and lots of them! My kids are young and we need to be reading, "filling their heads with stories!" Good ones too! I love VP book selections, we just aren't doing enough reading out loud, and for my son on his own.

I've done the Scholars faithfully for 5 weeks as written. This week I sat down and started cutting out. I can't seem to figure out what is hugely important to this curriculum, so I I'm kinda fumbling around with all the components.

Any suggestions. Comments. Changes I can make. I know it seems so simple to just drop everything but the song and cards and read more, but I'm having trouble coming up with books that would be appropriate and just right. Then I think...A whole year in Ancient Egypt, yikes! Ahhhrhhrr! I am so frustrated with myself.

I'm ready for curriculum to be a true tool to MY ends and not just a fun ride I take. I also went back and re-read WTM this weekend on Grammar and Logic Writing/History (BTW isn't it great!), but I just can't do that YET. I still need some hand holding with the booklist. Just as a note, we really enjoyed Beautiful Feet Early American last year, all the books were a hit. Wish I could have something like that, but big picture so *I* could read too (I have enjoyed reading, so far, the older selections in VP). And some fun activities to do or not.

I'll stop rambling now.

I'd love to know if you have suggestions.

:001_smile: Thank you for listening.

I, too, have been intrigued by the VP curricula along with many of the other whole language arts/curricula sets but after trying a few things out (thank goodness I bought used) I find myself coming back to SotW w/ AG for my youngest (3rd grade) and History Odyssey level 2 for my 6th grader.

I line the content up myself so we are covering similar topics and have them listen in to each other, my younger does narrations and my older does outlining and notebooking.

The AG gives fun activities and suggests books to get from the library or order, HO also suggests books (and can be had in various levels for different ages). Just a thought, History Odyssey offers a free six week download of their program if you just want to check it out in depth.

I have looked through other booklists and chosen additional books for my older son to read that fit into the time of history we are studying and he does that for his literature study, I'm reading most of them before he does so we can talk about them.

Finding the right fit for history/bible/literature seems to be the most difficult thing for homeschoolers becuase there are so many different options - good luck with finding your fit!

I was really excited about using VP Bible and History this year with Scholars, but it has turned into juggling lesson plans, cards, worksheets, and reading seems like an afterthought. We are reading much less than I though we would be. I want books at the center. My kids and I love to read. Will this change as the program goes on, i.e, more reading? We are on week 6 in OTAE. I want books and lots of them! My kids are young and we need to be reading, "filling their heads with stories!" Good ones too! I love VP book selections, we just aren't doing enough reading out loud, and for my son on his own.

I've done the Scholars faithfully for 5 weeks as written. This week I sat down and started cutting out. I can't seem to figure out what is hugely important to this curriculum, so I I'm kinda fumbling around with all the components.

Any suggestions. Comments. Changes I can make. I know it seems so simple to just drop everything but the song and cards and read more, but I'm having trouble coming up with books that would be appropriate and just right. Then I think...A whole year in Ancient Egypt, yikes! Ahhhrhhrr! I am so frustrated with myself.

I'm ready for curriculum to be a true tool to MY ends and not just a fun ride I take. I also went back and re-read WTM this weekend on Grammar and Logic Writing/History (BTW isn't it great!), but I just can't do that YET. I still need some hand holding with the booklist. Just as a note, we really enjoyed Beautiful Feet Early American last year, all the books were a hit. Wish I could have something like that, but big picture so *I* could read too (I have enjoyed reading, so far, the older selections in VP). And some fun activities to do or not.

I'll stop rambling now.

Melissa,

It's good to hear your voice :D. I will be of no help as we are still finding our way too . . . I second what you've said about reading and snuggling. That is what I LOVE at these ages . . . My answer is Sonlight. :D:D I love love love it and my kids LOVE it so much. It's by far their favorite! Anyway, we're not doing any particular Core but we read a lot a la Sonlight ( we have used P 3/4, P 4/5, some of K and all of Core 1). Sometimes I think I might just use Sonlight these early years because it has wide ranging kid appeal.

But, if you want and love the history cycle as SWB lays it out then SL doesn't fit that bill. I'm not interested in following 3 history cycles but rather ONE main one in logic stage and then again in high school. We're just having fun these early years . . . The ages my kids are right now (almost identical to yours) fit beautifully into Core K. In fact, I was reading a missionary story from P 4/5 last night and they were all captivated (we've read this story numerous times by the way).

Anyway, I realize I have given you no practical help. I feel your pain though. For me, I feel that VP is advanced and VERY scholarly :D. My kiddos aren't ready for that. And I also have felt that a lot of the literature for the ancients is dark . . . at first I didn't mind but as time has gone on it has REALLY bothered me.

Does Beautiful Feet have a logical progression that you can follow? What comes after their American history for primary ages/grades?

I wish you well!! It's tough to mesh all of these things together.

Okay here's my VP opinion:

I use the cards for Bible and I have the history cards for additional reference. We stopped doing the written bible work at week 11 or 12 I think, IMO it's for much older children and is busy work. I am all for memorizing, but at this stage I want the bible to speak to her, the stories to fill her. I felt like bible was a "subject" and I just didn't want that at this age.

Here's what we do:

Pull out the bible card and read it with a suggested reading every day. We listen to SOTW and do the mas and coloring and some activities. We read the VP History card and read books suggested and ones I've collected on the subject. We occasionally watch a DVD related to the time period. I do not test my 2nd grader. I will test her for 3rd grade, BUT my ultimate goal is to get her to love reading, history, God's word.

I thought about the lessons plans and decided against them, just too constricting. My advice is to do what you and your kids want and at this age make sure you cover the basics well.

I am in a similar boat using scholars lesson plans for the middle ages for ds7 (2nd grader).

I too have found the bible portion too much to do together with the history but I do like it and will try to get back to it for once a week. We will read the card and the extra reading and perhaps the worksheet orally.

The history portion is done on one day a week but I have decided that I don't want to get ds to memorise the material parrot fashion for the rest of the week-I'd rather do something else. I like the scholars plans and think that they do help me teach history better but only on day 1. The other days are often repeating the material and I don't really want to do that as it bores ds.

I agree with you and found myself in the exact same position-I wanted to just read to ds.

So, what I decided to do was to read SOTW alongside scholars plus.......I just bought the SL2 IG! I really missed the reading when we did with SL before and although I love VP scholars and I'm glad I have it I felt something was missing-probably because I'm using it with a 2nd grader and a young one at that.

So my suggestion to you is to perhaps consider adding SOTW-even the AG if you like and /or look at the SL books for ideas.

Stephanie

When my kids were in 1st and 3rd grade, we used the New Testament, Greece, and Rome Scholars Lesson Plans. Although were were not without our own struggles, we had a very productive year! Like you, I remember feeling overwhelmed by the worksheets that were part of the History and Bible plans. Like you, I began to feel like it was sometimes difficult to keep my head above water and hold the interest of my young children.

Veritas Press Scholars is a wonderful program, but you need to be sure that you use the lesson plans as a tool to help you with your homeschool. Don't be a slave to the lesson plans! :)

It sounds like you have sound goals: to expose your children to history, Bible, and lots of great literature while mastering the basics in reading, writing, and math. Use the history worksheets and Bible worksheets as a "compreshension guide" of sorts. Do not feel as if your kids have to write out the answer to every last question on those pages.

When we were using the program in full (I still use and LOVE the VP Cards, their literature recommendations & IEW program.), I implemented a variety of things in History Literature, and Bible:

• After reading the VP History Card, I would ask my boys some of the questions on the Review Worksheet. Then, I would write a few sentences for them to copy. This doubled as their handwriting AND provided a nice reinforcement of the history material.
  • I eliminated the Test Worksheets completely. One of the best things that I did at the end of each week was to conduct a little "SHOUT OUT" with the History card. By the end of the week the kids had heard the card quite a few times. I would leave out key words and they would shout out the answeres. For example: In the Beginning _________ Created the ___________.
  • We listened to the Bible song every morning and then began with the Bible Story/Study. I eliminated the worksheets and completely opted for a nice cozy time with my kids and the Bible. We did however, do many of the activities from the TM and lesson plans. These are the things my kids remember with fondness!
  • My oldest son began to DREAD reading because he knew he would have to fill out yet another comprehension worksheet. Again, I began using these as a tool to discuss the book with my son. A couple of times a week, I'd pick a few questions to check comprehension orally and to springboard quick discussions. On occasion we'd complete an activitiy from the literature guide.
  • I used the first favorites lit. guides with my youngest. These were delightful! I picked activities/assignments that would enhance his enjoyment of literature and skipped most other things. Although, I did often use the copywork pages.
  • My youngest made a literature notebook. He'd draw/color a picture of many of the books he read and then I'd ask him to copy special sentences from the book to go with the picture. It is a beautiful keepsake!
  • I used ALL of the historical literature as read alouds--not assigned reading for the kids.

Another thing you could do is go to the library every week or two and fill a bag full of books that relate to the things you're studying at home. Get lots of picture books and enjoy them! FYI--the VP Catalog has lots of great recommendations. The little numbers next to the book descriptions represent the VP Card that ties-in with the book.

Best wishes!

Edited by Pylegang

When my kids were in 1st and 3rd grade, we used the New Testament, Greece, and Rome Scholars Lesson Plans. Although were were not without our own struggles, we had a very productive year! Like you, I remember feeling overwhelmed by the worksheets that were part of the History and Bible plans. Like you, I began to feel like it was sometimes difficult to keep my head above water and hold the interest of my young children.

Veritas Press Scholars is a wonderful program, but you need to be sure that you use the lesson plans as a tool to help you with your homeschool. Don't be a slave to the lesson plans! :)

It sounds like you have sound goals: to expose your children to history, Bible, and lots of great literature while mastering the basics in reading, writing, and math. Use the history worksheets and Bible worksheets as a "compreshension guide" of sorts. Do not feel as if your kids have to write out the answer to every last question on those pages.

When we were using the program in full (I still use and LOVE the VP Cards, their literature recommendations & IEW program.), I implemented a variety of things in History and Bible:

• After reading the VP History Card, I would ask my boys some of the questions on the Review Worksheet. Then, I would write a few sentences for them to copy. This doubled as their handwriting AND provided a nice reinforcement of the history material.

• I eliminated the Test Worksheets completely. One of the best things that I did at the end of each week was to conduct a little "SHOUT OUT" with the History card. By the end of the week the kids had heard the card quite a few times. I would leave out key words and they would shout out the answeres. For example: In the Beginning _________ Created the ___________.

• We listened to the Bible song every morning and then began with the Bible Story/Study. I eliminated the worksheets and completely opted for a nice cozy time with my kids and the Bible. We did however, do many of the activities from the TM and lesson plans. These are the things my kids remember with fondness!

• My oldest son began to DREAD reading because he knew he would have to fill out yet another comprehension worksheet. Again, I began using these as a tool to discuss the book with my son. A couple of times a week, I'd pick a few questions to check comprehension and to springboard quick discussions. On occasion we'd complete an activitiy from the literature guide.

• I used the first favorites lit. guides with my youngest. These were delightful! I picked activities/assignments that would enhance his enjoyment of literature and skipped most other things. Althought, I did often use the copywork pages.

• My youngest made a literature notebook. He'd draw/color a picture of many of the books he read and then I'd ask him to copy special sentences from the book to go with the picture. It is a beautiful keepsake!

• I used ALL of the historical literature as read alouds--not assigned reading for the kids.

Another thing you could do is go to the library every week or two and fill a bag full of books that relate to the things you're studying at home. Get lots of picture books and enjoy them! FYI--the VP Catalog has lots of great recommendations. The little numbers next to the book descriptions represent the VP Card that ties-in with the book.

Best wishes!

:001_smile: What fantastic, practical counsel!!!!!!

I, too, have been intrigued by the VP curricula along with many of the other whole language arts/curricula sets but after trying a few things out (thank goodness I bought used) I find myself coming back to SotW w/ AG for my youngest (3rd grade) and History Odyssey level 2 for my 6th grader.

I line the content up myself so we are covering similar topics and have them listen in to each other, my younger does narrations and my older does outlining and notebooking.

The AG gives fun activities and suggests books to get from the library or order, HO also suggests books (and can be had in various levels for different ages). Just a thought, History Odyssey offers a free six week download of their program if you just want to check it out in depth.

I have looked through other booklists and chosen additional books for my older son to read that fit into the time of history we are studying and he does that for his literature study, I'm reading most of them before he does so we can talk about them.

Finding the right fit for history/bible/literature seems to be the most difficult thing for homeschoolers becuase there are so many different options - good luck with finding your fit!

I keep forgetting I have SOTW on my shelf. This summer, I lined up the SOTW with my veritas cards. Your right the AG does have more suggestions. Thank you for giving me a practical way to go from here. I'll take a look at HO also. I too like to read through my kids books before I hand them off. I should have known by now that no curriculum could be the golden key, there are so many great options out their for our kids, it can be soo hard to wade through them, especially when your learning about yourself and your kids and what best fits our families. Thanks again for your advice, its very useful!

Okay here's my VP opinion:

I use the cards for Bible and I have the history cards for additional reference. We stopped doing the written bible work at week 11 or 12 I think, IMO it's for much older children and is busy work. I keep wondering about all the written work too, I have my son do the test this week, He only writes every other one, then tells me what to write on the others. We have split that up over this week. I am all for memorizing, but at this stage I want the bible to speak to her, the stories to fill her. I felt like bible was a "subject" and I just didn't want that at this age. Yes, Yes, Yes. I find myself not looking forward to the either Bible or History after we have done the first one for the day. I feel like I'm doing the same thing twice, at least in routine and it drives me batty.

Here's what we do:

Pull out the bible card and read it with a suggested reading every day. We listen to SOTW and do the mas and coloring and some activities. We read the VP History card and read books suggested and ones I've collected on the subject. We occasionally watch a DVD related to the time period. I do not test my 2nd grader. I will test her for 3rd grade, BUT my ultimate goal is to get her to love reading, history, God's word.

I thought about the lessons plans and decided against them, just too constricting. My advice is to do what you and your kids want and at this age make sure you cover the basics well.

Thanks for your practical advise, it looks like this is the direction I need to go with VP. This week I looked at the plans and started cutting out the things. I too feel they are too constricting. And yes, I do need to focus on reading and writing and math! Thats why this is so aggravating!

Veritas Press Scholars is a wonderful program, but you need to be sure that you use the lesson plans as a tool to help you with your homeschool. Don't be a slave to the lesson plans! :)Agreed! Agreed!

It sounds like you have sound goals: to expose your children to history, Bible, and lots of great literature while mastering the basics in reading, writing, and math. Use the history worksheets and Bible worksheets as a "compreshension guide" of sorts. Do not feel as if your kids have to write out the answer to every last question on those pages.Thats a really good idea. Filling out the worksheets can be a good tool if it is age appropriate and leans more towards narration, for me anyway. Right now what is appropriate for my son is only about half of the sheet. I know as time goes on he could handle more. But then I don't want that to be something he dreads. I want him to love history and bible.

When we were using the program in full (I still use and LOVE the VP Cards, their literature recommendations & IEW program.), I implemented a variety of things in History Literature, and Bible:

• My oldest son began to DREAD reading because he knew he would have to fill out yet another comprehension worksheet. Again, I began using these as a tool to discuss the book with my son. A couple of times a week, I'd pick a few questions to check comprehension orally and to springboard quick discussions. On occasion we'd complete an activitiy from the literature guide.

• I used the first favorites lit. guides with my youngest. These were delightful! I picked activities/assignments that would enhance his enjoyment of literature and skipped most other things. Although, I did often use the copywork pages.

Best wishes!

These are so helpful. I really do believe I can turn this thing around. I love all of these ideas you gave. Last night I sat down and wrote out each levels lit selections from VP, MP, and Sonlight. I'll have to add some more to my Paperback Swap, but this will keep him reading. I have about run out of things for him to read. Next I believe I will tackle getting a good week plan for Bible and History. This may take a while to work out, but I now have some great advice to draw from.

I've been on and off attracted to TOG, part of me though I should look again at it, but when I sat down to write what a week looked like TOG vs. Veritas, they pretty much looked the same. Topic, Map, Timeline, Activities, Worksheet, Books. Differences are: with VP, books are enriching and with TOG they are integral. I really like VP's book selections, so its worth staying with. I need to use VP in a way where books are integral and all the rest is enriching.

Thank you so much ladies, you have helped me tremendously!

Melissa,

It's good to hear your voice :D. I will be of no help as we are still finding our way too . . . I second what you've said about reading and snuggling. That is what I LOVE at these ages . . . My answer is Sonlight. :D:D I love love love it and my kids LOVE it so much. It's by far their favorite! Anyway, we're not doing any particular Core but we read a lot a la Sonlight ( we have used P 3/4, P 4/5, some of K and all of Core 1). Sometimes I think I might just use Sonlight these early years because it has wide ranging kid appeal.

But, if you want and love the history cycle as SWB lays it out then SL doesn't fit that bill. I'm not interested in following 3 history cycles but rather ONE main one in logic stage and then again in high school. We're just having fun these early years . . . The ages my kids are right now (almost identical to yours) fit beautifully into Core K. In fact, I was reading a missionary story from P 4/5 last night and they were all captivated (we've read this story numerous times by the way).

Anyway, I realize I have given you no practical help. I feel your pain though. For me, I feel that VP is advanced and VERY scholarly :D. My kiddos aren't ready for that. And I also have felt that a lot of the literature for the ancients is dark . . . at first I didn't mind but as time has gone on it has REALLY bothered me.

Does Beautiful Feet have a logical progression that you can follow? What comes after their American history for primary ages/grades?

I wish you well!! It's tough to mesh all of these things together.

I'll be back to write you in a few!

On a side note about TOG, "Topic, Map, Timeline, Activities, Worksheet, Books" Books are WAY up on the list in TOG. No activities or worksheets can be done without loads of reading. We introduce topic and do the map first because I like them to be able to PICTURE where they're learning about, then it's reading, reading, reading and more reading. Then a worksheet about their reading if that week has one, writing about what they read. It's really no juggling hardly at all with TOG. I'm the least organized person in the world and can make TOG work for us.

Melissa, have you gone through the VP catalog history section and gotten a lot of those books that correspond to what you're studying? VP for us has always been about the books. Do the card, then hand them a pile of books. You read aloud some and the rest they read. If you look at the catalog, the books in each year of the history have little numbers to mark the card they correspond to. I gather books, trying to have options for each card, and then label them with post-it notes for the card number. That way I have them in order, on the shelf, ready to go when we get to that card. You just need to free yourself to take a red pen to a few of the activities in the instructions and add your book basket pile, and you'll probably be where you want to be.

People are all so individual, there is no way they could have made instructions that would suit everyone. You HAVE to customize it and make it fit your plan. I wouldn't buy more curriculum (HO, etc.), simply because it's going to confuse you. I'd learn how to modify what you already have and spend your money adding in those good resources. When my dd was that age, we used the TruthQuest guides a lot to add in books. Many of my dd's favorite titles came from the TQ guides, so I highly recommend them.

I think with VP the heart of their history and Bible is the grammar stage memory work. I think it's meant to make sure they get the grammar stage piece very solidly. That's why we like it. It's solidly classical and very grammar focused.

I like that they leave the reading as an enrichment because it makes it so easy to tailor it to mult. levels/teaching mult. kids. While it can be hard to find your style with it, it really is an easy to use program. You just have to find the way it works for you.

Think of the book and lesson plans as more of a buffet lunch than entree. It's not meant to all be done everyday. If you did every project and read every book and did every everything, you would go crazy or drive your kids crazy. We do a lot of reading with it - we do a lot of worksheets orally especially in 2nd grade.

It's a fun program - I agree with making the lesson plans a tool and not your goal. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I love the lesson plans for me to have a better idea of what to do.

I was also told by VP that some cards go faster (less than week) and some take more time (more than a week.)

My kids start with the card. We read it together, discuss, then I pass out the reading and writing assignments from there. They spend far more time on the actual reading than they do on the projects and writing. I read aloud to the younger crew, and the older kids read their own. For resources like the KHE everyone can do something at their own level. My lower grammar stage kids can draw one of the illustrations and give it a caption while I read it to them, while the older ones make a list of facts/simple outline, enter the dates in their timelines, and draw an illustration.

T)

This is very helpful. Did you use SOTW or MOH as spines?

I'll stop rambling now.

This is exactly why I switched from VP to MFW. I love VP and purchased all of the cards and songs, but MFW fit the bill for us much better. That said we learned A LOT the year we did Ancient Egypt!

This is very helpful. Did you use SOTW or MOH as spines?

I do have the full set of SOTW on my shelf. We used to pull it in regularly, but anymore I'm only grabbing it when I'm short on a good read aloud for my grammar stage kids. (We're heavy library users.) We'll use it heavier in spells.

We use VP without the Scholar plans. Flipping it to focus on the literature wouldn't be difficult at all. :) VP is a bit like TOG in that they give you many options and expect you to choose the parts that are best for your situation. Doing everything they offer would be way too much for a 2nd grader. My logic stage kids don't get it all done. I really admire your "homeschool," so you saying this really helps me out. I do agree its too much. My 2nd grader isn't fussing about doing every other question and phrasing the others for me to write for him, so we may continue that on the first day...or until I get some more understanding with WTM and history down.

I'd only use the worksheets and tests as conversation starters with a second grader, to start with. They are a great tool for the older kids, but I didn't actually hand one to my kids until fourth grade or so. I have my logic stage kids fill them in on their own, which doesn't take them long since they've been working on getting their thoughts down on paper for years. Then I call the younger ones to the table and we discuss each question and the answers as a family. Honor, 2nd grade ds, gets the benefit of the discussion here, without having to write anything.

My kids start with the card. We read it together, discuss, then I pass out the reading and writing assignments from there. They spend far more time on the actual reading than they do on the projects and writing. I read aloud to the younger crew, and the older kids read their own. For resources like the KHE everyone can do something at their own level. My lower grammar stage kids can draw one of the illustrations and give it a caption while I read it to them, while the older ones make a list of facts/simple outline, enter the dates in their timelines, and draw an illustration. Well here are some great WTM ideas. I like the way you are organizing this.

There are a LOT of great literature options VP recommends that aren't on the cards. They're listed on their website with the history set, and in the catalog.

Honor, my current 2nd grader, went through OTAE last year as a first grader. I tempered assignments down to his level. At the end of it he had the cards memorized in order, could immediately point each one out on the map, and could tell me something about each and every one. The only thing he did that looked remotely like drill was going over the history cards a couple times a week. Most of the time my kids just told me the title of the cards, but once in awhile we'd sit down together and take turns telling a fact about each card. (I didn't insist they choose the main points.) Honor has a fantastic set of "pegs" hung on his memory wall. He never filled in a single worksheet and didn't do half of the projects. :)

I still think VP is an awesome curriculum, I just had different expectations of the Scholars plans. I'ts important for me to fold in my K and 1st grader in an appropriate level too. I just ordered "All Through the Ages" by christine miller, so I hope that will help me add to our reading schedules.

So when do you start getting your kids to read on their own? My 2nd grader has read some on his own, but we really enjoy reading as a family and I want my younger kiddos to enjoy this too. I think TOG is a great curriculum too, but the memory thing and cards with VP sold me, my 1st grader did a great job of putting the cards in order today, that was encouraging, loving the "pegs."

Melissa, have you gone through the VP catalog history section and gotten a lot of those books that correspond to what you're studying? Yep. The problem for me has been me waiting for the Lesson Plans to tell me when to read them. :001_huh: VP for us has always been about the books. Do the card, then hand them a pile of books. You read aloud some and the rest they read. Yes, this is where we need to be! If you look at the catalog, the books in each year of the history have little numbers to mark the card they correspond to. I gather books, trying to have options for each card, and then label them with post-it notes for the card number. This is a great idea! That way I have them in order, on the shelf, ready to go when we get to that card. You just need to free yourself to take a red pen to a few of the activities in the instructions and add your book basket pile, and you'll probably be where you want to be. I am taking steps as we speak. Having the forum, sure does help me to work things out, everything is becoming clearer as to what I need to to. More of a WTM history with VP cards is the vision.

People are all so individual, there is no way they could have made instructions that would suit everyone. You HAVE to customize it and make it fit your plan. I wouldn't buy more curriculum (HO, etc.), simply because it's going to confuse you. I'd learn how to modify what you already have and spend your money adding in those good resources. When my dd was that age, we used the TruthQuest guides a lot to add in books. Many of my dd's favorite titles came from the TQ guides, so I highly recommend them.

Good advise, duly noted.

I think with VP the heart of their history and Bible is the grammar stage memory work. I think it's meant to make sure they get the grammar stage piece very solidly. That's why we like it. It's solidly classical and very grammar focused.

I like that they leave the reading as an enrichment because it makes it so easy to tailor it to mult. levels/teaching mult. kids. While it can be hard to find your style with it, it really is an easy to use program. You just have to find the way it works for you.

Think of the book and lesson plans as more of a buffet lunch than entree. It's not meant to all be done everyday. If you did every project and read every book and did every everything, you would go crazy or drive your kids crazy. We do a lot of reading with it - we do a lot of worksheets orally especially in 2nd grade.

It's a fun program - I agree with making the lesson plans a tool and not your goal. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I love the lesson plans for me to have a better idea of what to do.

I was also told by VP that some cards go faster (less than week) and some take more time (more than a week.)

I too love VP and think at this point it was just a difference in expectations. Your right, the memory aspect is great! Its the very reason I went with VP. We are going to crank up our book consumption and focus on the cards and books, everything else enrichment. Thanks for your encouragement!

On a side note about TOG, "Topic, Map, Timeline, Activities, Worksheet, Books" Books are WAY up on the list in TOG. No activities or worksheets can be done without loads of reading. We introduce topic and do the map first because I like them to be able to PICTURE where they're learning about, then it's reading, reading, reading and more reading. Then a worksheet about their reading if that week has one, writing about what they read. It's really no juggling hardly at all with TOG. I'm the least organized person in the world and can make TOG work for us.

Yes, I agree. The sequence I put forth is my view from VP scholar plans. Books are integral to TOG and that's always been attractive to me. TOG looks so well put together, and I LOVE the BOXES for each week, that really speaks to me! :D

But I know why I chose VP and it will get me to where I want to be with my children and I love the memory aspect. Thanks for chiming in. They are both great products!

Melissa, have you gone through the VP catalog history section and gotten a lot of those books that correspond to what you're studying? VP for us has always been about the books. Do the card, then hand them a pile of books. You read aloud some and the rest they read. If you look at the catalog, the books in each year of the history have little numbers to mark the card they correspond to. I gather books, trying to have options for each card, and then label them with post-it notes for the card number. That way I have them in order, on the shelf, ready to go when we get to that card. You just need to free yourself to take a red pen to a few of the activities in the instructions and add your book basket pile, and you'll probably be where you want to be.

This is how we use the history portion. We're doing the last year of history before Omnibus but started with OT/AE in second grade. DD is doing a poster on the life of Abraham Lincoln and reading two of the books listed under the history section in the catalog. We read the card and fill in the worksheet on Monday, briefly review worksheet/ memory song everyday (4 mins?) and then do the reading/projects the rest of the week. Tests on Fridays. I read aloud the material in the TE and she reads the books herself. Love it!