Menu

Is it possible for a prescription med to be a dud?

I had a ROUGH day yesterday - by last night the depression was so horrible. I couldn't figure out what was going on! I woke up the same way this morning. I was irritable, ready to climb out of my skin, and horribly, horribly depressed. I felt physically bad most of the day as well.

It just dawned on me that I was starving all day yesterday, too. I take a stimulant med daily (which kills my appetite) and I think that yesterday's pill was a dud. By the time my med kicked in this morning, I was back to normal.

Is it possible for that to be true? That a med can lack its active ingredient?

(And if that is true, can I say that this is a SCARY thing?!?! I knew that I couldn't really just *stop* taking it, so maybe this is why!)

Do you remember something in the news maybe 6 months ago about a bunch of prescription meds being ingredients in drywall instead...they had come from China and were being sold as good meds here in the US.

Yes, they can be duds.

But if normal ingredients were in the meds - they do have a shelf life. Maybe a 'sugar' pill got mixed in your script by accident.

Are they a generic brand? I have heard from pharma reps that the generic brands may not be as strong. So if you are taking a generic brand, that could be a culprit as well.

I hope you have a better day.

Do you remember something in the news maybe 6 months ago about a bunch of prescription meds being ingredients in drywall instead...they had come from China and were being sold as good meds here in the US.

Yes, they can be duds.

But if normal ingredients were in the meds - they do have a shelf life. Maybe a 'sugar' pill got mixed in your script by accident.

Are they a generic brand? I have heard from pharma reps that the generic brands may not be as strong. So if you are taking a generic brand, that could be a culprit as well.

I hope you have a better day.

Thanks. My day is already 500% better than yesterday!

As for the other - no, it doesn't have a generic. It's just weird. Hopefully it won't happen again!

I had a ROUGH day yesterday - by last night the depression was so horrible. I couldn't figure out what was going on! I woke up the same way this morning. I was irritable, ready to climb out of my skin, and horribly, horribly depressed. I felt physically bad most of the day as well.

It just dawned on me that I was starving all day yesterday, too. I take a stimulant med daily (which kills my appetite) and I think that yesterday's pill was a dud. By the time my med kicked in this morning, I was back to normal.

Is it possible for that to be true? That a med can lack its active ingredient?

(And if that is true, can I say that this is a SCARY thing?!?! I knew that I couldn't really just *stop* taking it, so maybe this is why!)

No answers but relieved that you are feeling better today.:grouphug:

Thanks. My day is already 500% better than yesterday!

As for the other - no, it doesn't have a generic. It's just weird. Hopefully it won't happen again!

Is it a solid pill or a capsule? I'd wonder if the capsule wasn't as full as it should have been. Or maybe you were just having a weird day with a strong surge in whatever brain chemical is making you have a hard time. Either way, I'm glad you're better today :grouphug:

Is it a solid pill or a capsule? I'd wonder if the capsule wasn't as full as it should have been. Or maybe you were just having a weird day with a strong surge in whatever brain chemical is making you have a hard time. Either way, I'm glad you're better today :grouphug:

It is a capsule and it is very possible it wasn't as full or something. It might very well be the brain chemical issue (I have no idea which one it affects or how.)