Menu

Discerning the light at the end of the tunnel.

Dh and I were talking about this last night. I had a REALLY rough night with some serious depression (I think it was a medicine side effect, but not sure.)

I said that I can see the light at end of the tunnel, but I am not completely sure if it is dayllight at the end of the tunnel or the headlights of a truck barreling down on us.:001_huh: Dh says he feels the same way! We've been through so much and it seems that just when we think it is going to get better, it gets pulled out from under us. It's almost if we are primed to expect the worst, now!

So, how do you tell the difference?

Dh and I were talking about this last night. I had a REALLY rough night with some serious depression (I think it was a medicine side effect, but not sure.)

I said that I can see the light at end of the tunnel, but I am not completely sure if it is dayllight at the end of the tunnel or the headlights of a truck barreling down on us.:001_huh: Dh says he feels the same way! We've been through so much and it seems that just when we think it is going to get better, it gets pulled out from under us. It's almost if we are primed to expect the worst, now!

So, how do you tell the difference?

No advice. Just wanted to let you know I know how you feel. We've had a rollercoaster of a ride this year. Things are pretty good right now but I wake up each day expecting the other shoe to drop. The only thing that sustains me is my faith. I pray more than I ever have and immerse myself in scripture. It is my solid ground.

Anyway, I guess one thing I have learned this year is that we do survive those jolts (even though sometimes its with lots of bumps and bruises!). I try and look at the light as hope and not doom even though I am realistic enough to know it could be the opposite.

No advice. Just wanted to let you know I know how you feel. We've had a rollercoaster of a ride this year. Things are pretty good right now but I wake up each day expecting the other shoe to drop. The only thing that sustains me is my faith. I pray more than I ever have and immerse myself in scripture. It is my solid ground.

Anyway, I guess one thing I have learned this year is that we do survive those jolts (even though sometimes its with lots of bumps and bruises!). I try and look at the light as hope and not doom even though I am realistic enough to know it could be the opposite.

For us, the roller coaster started in 2006 when dh and I were both laid off from the same job (we ran a poultry slaughter plant together.) The next year was VERY difficult financially and emotionally. In 2007, when the opportunity to buy our business came up, it seemed like things were getting much, much better. However, it was just another peak followed by a much, much, much worse drop. I think right now we are on the straightaway before the next big peak, but not sure.

And I am most concerned with what is on the otherside of that peak - is it a straightway or another big drop?:glare:

Renee (et al), I certainly hear you. Since New Year's Eve 2006, I have been happy to kick the preceding year to the curb......only to begin a year that rivaled its predecessor for an even harder kick to the curb.

The bumps and jolts (as someone here described them) have been financial, professional, personal. Some have been 'recoverable.' One is not -- it is one of those things where one prays for the strength to overcome the pain and whatever else accompanies the pain.

I see the light in some of the arenas (professional and financial), but I am over any pie in the sky attitudes I ever had about all of it.

You know in the movie THE FUGITIVE when Harrison Ford says to Tommy Lee Jones, 'I didn't kill my wife,' and Tommy Lee Jones responds, "I don't care.' Well, that is ME! I have become Tommy Lee Jones.

I'm off to the doctor this afternoon to see if there is something for that -- I truly cannot stand being like this.:sad:

You know, I am so sorry, Renee. I can't imagine how overwhelmed you must feel. I hope you are not feeling alone. I hope extended family can support you, at least emotionally if not also financially. Are there any other sources of help, like churches or gov't? I bet they're strapped, too, though. These are really hard times.

I really feel for folks who are struggling right now. This could be happening to any one of us.

Even if you feel like you are alone, you really aren't. So many people must be feeling the same way. There's got to be a solution. There must be a light at the end of the tunnel. :grouphug:

You know, I am so sorry, Renee. I can't imagine how overwhelmed you must feel. I hope you are not feeling alone. I hope extended family can support you, at least emotionally if not also financially. Are there any other sources of help, like churches or gov't? I bet they're strapped, too, though. These are really hard times.

I really feel for folks who are struggling right now. This could be happening to any one of us.

Even if you feel like you are alone, you really aren't. So many people must be feeling the same way. There's got to be a solution. There must be a light at the end of the tunnel. :grouphug:

You know, we always get by somehow. We've received help from all kinds of people and relationships and for that we are very thankful. We have also taken frugality to a new level at times. I remember saying to my dh, "We just can't live on this!" a few years ago and here we are living on significantly less!:lol: It seems that the gas always lasts and the toilet paper stretches just enough, KWIM?

We are *very* weary of needing help, though, so we really hope this new journey takes us out of this. We want to be able to help others instead of always being the one in need! We also want to be able to give our dc what they need, too.

Thanks! And :grouphug: to all those who are going through tough times. It really does stink!