Menu

Anybody use a flat screen TV as a computer monitor?

Dh and I are thinking of putting up a flat screen (probably around 45") above our fireplace and hooking it up to a Mac Mini (or similar PC w/disc drive). That way, the kids would have access to a DVD player to watch movies, but they could also have computer usage that is in plain view (so I can see what they're doing). They don't do much on the computer now- mostly Webkinz, watch BrainPop videos, Reading Eggs or Critical Thinking Co. software.- but they'd be able to watch Discovery Streaming should we decide to go ahead with a subscription. I have a small desk and chair that I could set up in front of the TV when needed so there's no reason they wouldn't be able to use it to type up compositions or other school stuff, it would just be a bit bigger than normal.

I like that this set-up wouldn't require a lot of space (we'd need a space for a computer for them) and that it would also double as a TV when we need it to.

Has anybody done this? What would be the cons to this sort of set-up? FWIW, dh and I have our own computers so we would not need to use the big screen for all to see (although we have nothing to hide, but who needs to see the WTM boards or our budget that big? :001_huh:).

Guest Cindie2dds

Yep. That's what we have. We bought both of our flat screens two years ago when we were looking into an Apple screen for dh's work monitor. He wanted to change from the CRT to a flat screen. The Apple 22" was outrageously priced, so we bought the two Sharp screens we currently have (1080 P) for less than one Apple was back then.

Since we don't watch "TV" we use Netflix streaming and DVDs. We have one setup in our bedroom/dh's office and one in the living room which is the family computer/movie viewing device. My dh has a 32" for his setup because the 42" was too big to look at all day long as a work monitor. The 42" is great for the living room.