Menu

Our newest new favorite - pomegranate

I have a great trick for getting the seeds out that I'd love to share! Cut the pomegranate in half (yes, I know, it sounds horribly messy). Hold the cut side down, in your palm, with your hand in a smaller sized mixing bowl. Beat the top of the pomegranate with a wooden or soup spoon. It will loosen the seeds and they will begin to fall out into the palm of your hand. You can drop them into the bowl. Repeat with the other half. You can then rinse the seeds in water to rid them of any of the white stuff that is so bitter.

After years of picking seeds out, I found this tip online two years ago. I will never pick another pomegranate seed again!

One pomegranate lasts about 5 minutes here. But occasionally I'll buy a whole bunch, remove the seeds, put them in a plastic container and stick in the freezer.

They're much easier to seed when immersed in water, in case you haven't found that out yet.

I have another method for seeding pomegranates.

Fill a large bowl with water. Cut the top off the pomegranate and score into 8ths. Under water peel it apart. Gently start rubbing off the seeds. They sink to the bottom of the bowl and all the white pith floats to the top. Skim off the white stuff and then drain the seeds. Voila. I did 10 of those things today. Thankfully, my daughter helps out. I love the under water method because you don't get red juice all over the place.

I just keep them in a tupperware or glass container in the fridge. I have about 4 cups of seeds in there right now and they'll keep 4-5 days.

They grow here so they are cheap, cheap, cheap this time of year.

I have another method for seeding pomegranates.

Fill a large bowl with water. Cut the top off the pomegranate and score into 8ths. Under water peel it apart. Gently start rubbing off the seeds. They sink to the bottom of the bowl and all the white pith floats to the top. Skim off the white stuff and then drain the seeds. Voila. I did 10 of those things today. Thankfully, my daughter helps out. I love the under water method because you don't get red juice all over the place.

I just keep them in a tupperware or glass container in the fridge. I have about 4 cups of seeds in there right now and they'll keep 4-5 days.

They grow here so they are cheap, cheap, cheap this time of year.

That is the way we get into them. I'm going to try the beating with a spoon method on the next one.

I bought three this time and have two left in the fruit bowl. I've still got some of that hand-to-mouth habit. I found I gained 17 pounds since quitting smoking last December. I've got hyperthyroidism so in order for me to gain weight I've got to be eating a lot.

Nope, we don't eat the whole seed.

put them in a plastic container and stick in the freezer.

Perry, do you thaw them first or just eat them frozen? How long will they last in the freezer?

Perry, do you thaw them first or just eat them frozen? How long will they last in the freezer?

I haven't done this in awhile so forgot to mention a step. After the seeds are removed, I pat them dry then lay them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. I put that in the freezer for a couple hours, then put the seeds into the plastic containers.

They are supposed to last 6 months, but the kids devour them so they don't last that long here. They thaw really fast (just a few minutes) once you take them out of the freezer, but my kids eat them straight from the freezer.

I've read that you can freeze the whole pomegranate but I've never done that.

I haven't done this in awhile so forgot to mention a step. After the seeds are removed, I pat them dry then lay them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. I put that in the freezer for a couple hours, then put the seeds into the plastic containers.

They are supposed to last 6 months, but the kids devour them so they don't last that long here. They thaw really fast (just a few minutes) once you take them out of the freezer, but my kids eat them straight from the freezer.

I've read that you can freeze the whole pomegranate but I've never done that.

Thanks! I'm going to get a bunch more on Saturday if the store still has any.

we have a tree, and all the neighborhood kids sit on the edge of the street, so cute picking out the seeds, some eat, some spit the extra...they all look like they have chicken pox at the end of the day. I keep a garbage for the mess and they are pretty darn good at keeping it clean.

We send bags home with the families!! I love to sit and watch the sunset and eat one, slowly and enjoy the end of the day. Red fingers and all!