Menu

To keep the Multiplication Tables Chart on the wall, or not to keep?

That is the question!

I've got this "Multiplication Tables" poster/chart thingie hung on the wall over my computer desk.

When my daughter does TT math at the computer, if there's something pertaining to times tables that she doesn't know off hand, I think she just consults the chart.

Like, recently she had to fill in some blanks in a sequence of counting by 12's, and I think she probably just glanced at the chart rather than trying to figure it out.

I thought to myself, "Maybe I should take that down" so she has to figure out answers without potentially "cheating."

But then I thought, "but even if she's looking at it, isn't that still a form of practice/review that might eventually be committed to memory even just by looking at it?

What do you think?

I'd leave it up. She'll most likely absorb it eventually. My son used a chart, and after awhile he didn't need it anymore.

:iagree:

I let my son use a multiplication table through Singapore 6B, if he wanted. I didn't give him one this fall and he hasn't asked for it. I think if it slows her down or causes problems, you may need to step back and drill. But if not, carry on! Computer drill games are good for that too. My son liked Timex attack.

I think there's something important about having to retrieve things like this from memory, both in the form of drill and in the context of solving problems (both in school and in life). I think at some point the chart should be taken down, maybe after you've done some extra multiplication fact studying with her.

Guest CarolineUK

I believe that there's something about recalling maths facts that helps general maths ability. It's a belief, however, that just lurks at the back of my mind with no obvious link to anything I can actually remember reading, so I might be wrong :tongue_smilie:. We're using RightStart and I have DS9 do a practice sheet of random multiplication facts each day for five minutes. We've never had a chart or anything, my two older boys have just learnt multiplication facts by rote. All that to say, I'd ditch the chart.