Menu

My stress levels are rising with my indecisiveness

plain jane

I know it's no reason to stress, but I am. :001_huh:

I really don't know what to choose for a writing program for 5th grade. I had initially thought I'd do CW Homer and then move on to LTOW but I'm not sure that's what I want to do anymore. I'm surrounded by people who use and love IEW and while we've used the program, I don't have the same level of affection for it as others do... perhaps I'm missing something? :confused:

And then there's WriteShop. I like how it's laid out, but 5th is a bit young to start but I think dd may like it better than doing rewrites from Homer all year.

I am 98% sure that I'm going to buy TOG in the spring (was going to buy now but it seemed silly for me to buy it a full 11 months ahead of when I'll actually use it) and I thought we could just use WA and the assignments in TOG (dd would be doing hopefully a lot of dialectic work). Would this be enough writing and provide her with enough instruction to improve her writing skills?

Dd enjoys writing and is currently writing above grade level. I'd like a program to keep those skills going while also introducing her to new concepts and ways to make her writing more concise and interesting.

In all honestly, I'm just stuck. :( I don't know what to choose and while it may seem early to be making a decision, I know I have to get going on one now because dh's business will be really busy in the spring and my spare time will be very limited.

I doubt I'm the only one who's been in this situation and am hoping others could chime in and tell me how they finally made a decision.

Dd enjoys writing and is currently writing above grade level. I'd like a program to keep those skills going while also introducing her to new concepts and ways to make her writing more concise and interesting.

Been in the same exact place. I have an older 4th grader. I tried WA for a couple of months and it worked OK, but I am not a strong english person so teaching writing causes me some anxiety. I don't know how to help ds improve his writing. WA really doesn't help with that. It will teach you how to pull together a decent paper, but if your child (like mine) doesn't naturally write "beautiful" words, and you don't know how to teach it, you're stuck. WA seems to me like an intuitive program where the instructor already writes well and knows how to help a child improve their writing.

Here's what I wound up getting - IEW. I DON'T have an affection toward the program, but it gives me a concrete way to help my ds improve his writing and it gives me direction for the rest of his school years. By the time my other two join up with writing, I should be a pro. I've tossed IEW around for a couple of years and finally threw in the towel because I can't find anything else so concrete that won't make me search for a new program every year (that also co-ordinates with what I'm already doing). So, you don't have to love IEW to do it. I'm living proof.

Beth

I really like BJU English. Grammar is alternated with Writing every two weeks. I like the systematic way that each genre of writing is introduced, with the appropriate graphic organizer right there (no searching to find the right page, etc.). We are using the DVD's and we get to watch Spencer the Rabbit (or Arnie the Anteater in 4th grade) do his writing assignments before my son completes his assignment.

Before BJU, I had tried IEW (my son liked it but it just didn't get done on a regular basis), Rod & Staff (son didn't like it at all), Writing Strands (never got past the 1st one or two lessons, and SL LA (liked it for dictation exercises, but not for writing assignments, except for some helpful lessons from the Diamond Notes). Oh, yes, and I have TOG Writing Aids, too (too overwhelming with the younger grades, at least).

Hope you find something that works for you and your children! I have heard from other home school moms that Writing seems to be one of the harder classes to teach, but don't despair. There are so many choices out there!

Brenda

Hope you find something that works for you and your children! I have heard from other home school moms that Writing seems to be one of the harder classes to teach, but don't despair. There are so many choices out there!

Brenda

I think that's my biggest problem right there. :lol::lol: