Menu

Has anyone been to see the replica Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria??

From this earlier thread:

"While in port, the general public are invited to visit the ships for a walk aboard a self-guided tour. The prices are $7 for adults, $6 for senior citizens and $5 for students. Children 4 and under are free. The ship will be open everyday from 9am - 6pm. No reservations necessary.

Teachers or organizations wishing to schedule a 30 minute guided tour with a crew member should call 1-787-672-2152. Minimum of 15. $4 per person. No maximum. Visit www.thenina.com for more information."

I second the astonishment at how tiny!!! Personally I thought the price was over rated. It cost our family(5) $29.00 and we only spent about thirty minutes. However, it really did bring a new appreciation for Columbus and his crew. I say go if you get the chance. It might make you appreciative of our comforts and conveniences.

We went last year when they were in St. Augustine. I think those prices are about right, that someone posted.

It was a bit over-priced. One boat had a guy that was barely interactive, and the other boat had a guy who talked to us quite a bit.

It was neat to see, but next time I would probably just walk down the pier for free and not worry about paying to get on the boats.

Once you got on the boat, there's not that much to see.

You don't get to go down in the "holds" (think that is what they are called), as that is where crew lives, so you just are on the deck.

We went to see them last year. Only the Pinta was available to tour; the others had fallen into severe disrepair, and the city, hard-hit by the recession, can't afford to fix them.

It was pretty cool, though; we went in winter, during the week, and we were almost the only people there, so we had the docent for our own. He helpfully answered all the questions the children had.

It was many years ago. My kids loved it. We had a hard time getting my oldest off the boats, she wanted to stay. It is incredible how small the space is. I can't imagine taking that across the Atlantic with that many other people.

We also enjoyed the museum they had there. My oldest was into Pocahontas and just stared at the paintings and statue.