Menu

Grammar question

I am reposting this under another heading, as the answer needn't be specific to ILL - I am just hoping for some input on a simple grammar supplement. Here is my original question:

I am using Intermediate Language Lessons with my two ds10 (4th grade), and I like the approach very much - love the type of writing and thinking it produces. However, I feel the need to supplement with grammar instruction both for standardized testing and to lay the ground for future grammar instruction. I have used a variety of materials for ds12 who finished ILL last year, but never found one that was "just right." :confused: We have used Easy Grammar, Evan Moore Grammar and Punctuation (nice, but light) and Wordsmith Apprentice (writing with some grammar).

I would much appreciate suggestions for a grammar program that is:

- simple, straightforward in its approach.

- doesn't include anything other than grammar - we have plenty of LA instruction in ILL and have our other bases covered in terms of spelling, vocab, etc.

- inexpensive - I have used most of my budget for this year and need to squeeze this in.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give!

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 7-20; 2 in college, schooling grades 2, 4, 4 and 7

I am reposting this under another heading, as the answer needn't be specific to ILL - I am just hoping for some input on a simple grammar supplement. Here is my original question:

I am using Intermediate Language Lessons with my two ds10 (4th grade), and I like the approach very much - love the type of writing and thinking it produces. However, I feel the need to supplement with grammar instruction both for standardized testing and to lay the ground for future grammar instruction. I have used a variety of materials for ds12 who finished ILL last year, but never found one that was "just right." :confused: We have used Easy Grammar, Evan Moore Grammar and Punctuation (nice, but light) and Wordsmith Apprentice (writing with some grammar).

I would much appreciate suggestions for a grammar program that is:

- simple, straightforward in its approach.

- doesn't include anything other than grammar - we have plenty of LA instruction in ILL and have our other bases covered in terms of spelling, vocab, etc.

- inexpensive - I have used most of my budget for this year and need to squeeze this in.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give!

Blessings,

Aimee

Rod & Staff is my favorite grammar. It does have some writing instruction, but it is so easy to leave the writing assignments out. It's non-consumable, too, so your kids could share a textbook if needed.

Thank you for the suggestions. Re: Gumdrops and Daily Language practice, I hadn't thought of using those because I was under the impression (perhaps mistaken?) that they were for practice of topics already introduced. I need to find something to teach the topics first. Do these resources include instruction, or are they just review?

Thanks again,

Aimee

Rod & Staff is my favorite grammar. It does have some writing instruction, but it is so easy to leave the writing assignments out. It's non-consumable, too, so your kids could share a textbook if needed.

Would you start the kids on grade level? They have had basic grammar instruction but not indepth. I have considered R&S without the writing, but wondered if I should start at grade 3 rather than 4 - any opinion? Thanks!

Aimee

Would you start the kids on grade level? They have had basic grammar instruction but not indepth. I have considered R&S without the writing, but wondered if I should start at grade 3 rather than 4 - any opinion? Thanks!

Aimee

I think you'd be fine to start them on grade level.

I suggest Growing with Grammar if you can find it used. New it is kind of pricey, but it teaches grammar in a more thorough manner.

Also, at Rainbow Resource they have a Straight Forward English series

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1288732894-664400&subject=7&category=1789

The All-In-One English book covers all of the topics like punctuation, nouns, verbs, etc and is a really good value at $10.95 or if you would rather focus on one topic at a time they have the books on each topic for $3.95 each. (There is currently a bargain copy of the verb book)

I have not looked at it in person, but this one looks interesting:

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Grammar+by+the+Book/029747/1288732894-664400

If you just need a book to teach from:

-The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Only+Grammar+Book+You%92ll+Ever+Need/010215/1288732894-66440

-Painless Junior Grammar

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Painless+Junior%3A+Grammar/038508/1288732894-664400

or Painless Grammar

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Painless+Grammar/018702/1288732894-664400

There is also Step-By-Step Grammar:

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1288732894-664400&subject=7&category=1761

(looks like there is a bargain copy of volume 1)

Thinking Through Grammar (Whimbey) for grades 5-6 is currently on Amazon for $15.59 new or $8-10 used.

http://www.bgfperformance.com/books.html

Besides the Daily Grammar http://www.dailygrammar.com/ website someone suggested, try the Guide to Grammar and Writing website http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/

Thank you for the suggestions. Re: Gumdrops and Daily Language practice, I hadn't thought of using those because I was under the impression (perhaps mistaken?) that they were for practice of topics already introduced. I need to find something to teach the topics first. Do these resources include instruction, or are they just review?

Thanks again,

Aimee

I don't think Daily Language Practice includes instruction, but since I never wound up using it. I'm not sure. It did seem fairly straight forward though so that's why I thought to use it. If you look on the Evan Moor website, I think there are samples to view. It does seem very geared to standardized tests.

I did think of Growing With Grammar as someone else suggested. I just didn't feel like forking out the money. I may try it next year.

We did try the old Voyages in English 3 because I had it on the shelf, but there wasn't really anything new for dd who did over half of PLL last year. Since she wasn't enjoying Voyages, I decided to drop it. This experience showed me that PLL is solid, despite how light it seems, and makes me think you might be okay with something like Daily Language Practice or Daily Grams even though they don't include much instruction. If your dc have been using PLL or ILL, they just might need to learn some basic terms and simply apply them to the knowledge they've already acquired. :confused:

Edited by NJKelli

We did try the old Voyages in English 3 because I had it on the shelf, but there wasn't really anything new for dd who did over half of PLL last year. Since she wasn't enjoying Voyages, I decided to drop it. This experience showed me that PLL is solid, despite how light it seems, and makes me think you might be okay with something like Daily Language Practice or Daily Grams even though they don't include much instruction. If your dc have been using PLL or ILL, they just might need to learn some basic terms and simply apply them to the knowledge they've already acquired. :confused:

I do agree, and that's why I can't ditch either PLL or ILL - the kids learn to write beautifully, and are exposed to lovely poetry and art. It does work - they just need to know what to call those parts of speech they're learning to use so nicely, LOL. My ds 13 is using Applications of Grammar this year and he says he wishes he had started to do more serious grammar before now. However, I was hesitant to overload him, it didn't fit with my philosophy of education, and he has scored PHS on SAT's for years. The Evan Moore books worked to that end, but I have been wondering if there's something "between" a R&S sort of intensity and the EM books. I don't want to do something at the expense of ILL, either.

Thanks for the great input,

Aimee

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I am so appreciating them! The links show some great resources. I'm interested in seeing more of Painless Jr Grammar, and I've put The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need on my wishlist at Amazon. I'm hoping maybe I can find a local schooler with a copy of R&S either 3rd or 4th grade I can take a peek at. GWG sounds wonderful but maybe not in the budget this year? KISS I keep looking at and haven't quite figured out yet. Maybe I need to take a longer time!

Blessings,

Aimee

Edited by Evergreen Academy