Menu

Phonics for older child (3rd grade)?

Nancy Ann

Is there any suggestions for phonics for an older child. It would be nice to have something that would have a placement test so we don't have to start from the very beginning.

I looked at Reading Relflex and I think the pious attitude of the curriculum would drive me nuts. I also want phonics. I know they say phonics doesn't work but I just want to stick to phonics.

Anything out there?

Is there any suggestions for phonics for an older child. It would be nice to have something that would have a placement test so we don't have to start from the very beginning.

I looked at Reading Relflex and I think the pious attitude of the curriculum would drive me nuts. I also want phonics. I know they say phonics doesn't work but I just want to stick to phonics.

Anything out there?

IMHO phonics do work and I think you will find that many here feel the same way:)

Spell to Write and Read sounds perfect for your situation. And it has placement tests as well. However, it is labor intensive for the teacher.

:iagree: Spell to Write and Read gets my vote, too!

(There are several links on SWR in my blog, if you're interested.)

I've heard good things about Saxon Phonics Intervention for older children, although I think 3rd grade is still a great time to do straight phonics. Some great programs are:

The Phonics Road

SWR

The Writing Road to Reading

Abeka Phonics

RS

I hear CLE does mostly phonics, with some site words?

Whoever "they" are...are dead wrong. Phonics works.