Menu

learn to ride bike. . .

Guest Barb B

Any suggestions to teach a very reluctant 7 yr old (8 in december) to ride bike without training wheels. He has this tricylce he still rides (it is a pretty big trike so he still fits on it - it actually said it was for 100lbs or less). He has a bike with training wheels. I just got him started riding it (he loves the trike). I guess I tell him that every time he rides the trike he needs to give the bike a turn. He is getting used to riding the bike. Now, how to get him to ride without training wheels. I know - take them off and run with him. That worked for my other 2 - but this kid really doesn't want too - much more fearful I guess. Oh, this is the kid who COULD have potty trained sooner - but didn't until age 4! Yes, kind of set in his ways you might say! SOOO, any suggestions past the take them off and run next to him! Any advice to overcome possible fear, set in ways, and yes pure resistance and stubbornness.

MY 18 yr old says - "isn't it time he learns to ride 2 wheels?" I say - I'll give you $100 if you teach him!"

Barb

edited to add - "m not stressing this or wanting to force him. Just wondering if there are ideas between where he's at now and that time when he wants to ride without training wheels. Like taking the pedals off and letting him coast around that way?

Edited by Barb B

My daughter didn't learn to ride without training wheels until she was 8. My husband and I tried to teach her, but no luck. We were trying to get her to learn to balance, pedal and steer all at the same time, which was apparently ineffective for her.

Finally, two neighborhood kids/friends taught her and within two days, they had her riding like an absolute pro.

What they did was have her keep her feet out (off the pedals, almost touching the ground) for balance and to just focus on steering and balancing that way.

Eventually she got the hang of it enough to add in pedaling, too.

ETA: I do want to add though that she WANTED the training wheels off and WANTED to learn to ride without them. If your son doesn't even want to, you may as well wait a while longer. Maybe in the spring/summer he'll have more of an interest in trying.

Edited by NanceXToo

I think it is easier for someone else to teach them. LOL

Last fall, my daughter and I taught my friend's son and it literally took minutes. He was very resistant with her.

A couple things we did: First, we at least appeared to hold on much longer than we actually did. He was fully decked out in padding which was for safety; but it has the added effect of helping it not hurt when you hit your knees or whatever too. We video taped it and texted the video to mom and big brother.

For my own kids? Well, my daughter took her training wheels off on the day she turned 3. She was easy. My son could have done similarly but he was scared. We raised the training wheels up a tiny bit at a time, every few days. Unfortunately though he wasn't USING the training wheels (as they were like 120 degrees from the ground!), he would freak whenever we tried to take them off. Finally, they got in his way so he did. He was solidly 5 by that time though (and we started at 3).

I taught mine by having them sit on the bikes and walk them around...no peddling yet. I tried to make it fun by getting out a bike that fits me and doing the same and racing up and down the drive with them- no peddling. This taught them to balance, how to put their feet down, how to push off, without the fear of going too fast or falling. It took them less than 2 afternoons to be off and riding with no fear.

My 4yo has the same trike as your ds, I think...he LOVES it and I think we will have issues with giving that one up.

What they did was have her keep her feet out (off the pedals, almost touching the ground) for balance and to just focus on steering and balancing that way.

This. Adults learn to ride bikes this way, no training wheels involved.

My Dad always said training wheels slowed the process down because they taught the rider to lean the wrong way on a curve.

My daughter didn't learn to ride without training wheels until she was 8. My husband and I tried to teach her, but no luck. We were trying to get her to learn to balance, pedal and steer all at the same time, which was apparently ineffective for her.

Finally, two neighborhood kids/friends taught her and within two days, they had her riding like an absolute pro.

Eventually she got the hang of it enough to add in pedaling, too.

ETA: I do want to add though that she WANTED the training wheels off and WANTED to learn to ride without them. If your son doesn't even want to, you may as well wait a while longer. Maybe in the spring/summer he'll have more of an interest in trying.

:iagree: I asked this question a few months ago...a few people told me about the "glide" method and my DD was riding within a day!

If they have access to a Razor type scooter, those are very good for developing precursor balance skills.

When it is time to "ride" get the kid padded up as much as possible, and LOWER THE SEAT.

Having the seat low makes it easy for a child to reach the ground from either side, this helps greatly reduce the fear of falling. It is not "optimal" for riding, but short-term it helps a great deal.

Then they get on, and you run along holding the back of the seat and pushing (as they pedal) to get them enough speed to be stable, and to provide a feeling of security. Gradually you let go a little, then more...soon they are riding all around.

Then the seat starts going up.

Bill

Both of my girls used one of those bikes with no pedals (called a balance bike) as a transition between training wheels and two wheel. There are a couple of companies that sell them. They are terrific for teaching the child to balance. It breaks up the learning into smaller steps that are easily mastered. My younger spent a good part of the spring on hers before deciding she was ready to ride a "real" bike. The transition to pedaling was easy.