Menu

After 20+ years, I am now officially back in college!

Me too! Congrats - Nursing School?

That's the current thought. I won't really be free to take all the daily nursing classes until year after next, but I am going to knock out those other classes while I can. My college transcript (business degree) bought me bunches of hours off the two-year RN curriculum, but I have to retake all the sciences (those must be no more than 5 years old) plus the nursing. So this semester A&P, then I'll need Chemistry with a lab and an upper level psych. Hope to apply January 2012 to start fall 2012.

Are you in nursing school now?

Hey, congratulations!!! I'm in college this fall; 20 years since I've sat in a classroom. :001_smile: It is absolutely one of the best decisions I've ever made. I love that I'm finally doing something that I've wanted a long time. (I hope this doesn't sound selfish, but,) I'm happy to be doing something that is just for me.

Hey, congratulations!!! I'm in college this fall; 20 years since I've sat in a classroom. :001_smile: It is absolutely one of the best decisions I've ever made. I love that I'm finally doing something that I've wanted a long time. (I hope this doesn't sound selfish, but,) I'm happy to be doing something that is just for me.

Oh friend, I HEAR you!

I will never doubt the choice to be a homeschooling mom, and I won't whine about it... but it is nothing if not sacrificial...

:hurray: Good for you!

I was going to register this fall, but chickened out. I decided to to wait until the kids are a few years older.

Have fun! A&P was one of my favorite courses.

Sparrow, one day your time will be right! You'll just *know* it when it is.

That's the current thought. I won't really be free to take all the daily nursing classes until year after next, but I am going to knock out those other classes while I can. My college transcript (business degree) bought me bunches of hours off the two-year RN curriculum, but I have to retake all the sciences (those must be no more than 5 years old) plus the nursing. So this semester A&P, then I'll need Chemistry with a lab and an upper level psych. Hope to apply January 2012 to start fall 2012.

Are you in nursing school now?

I am officially (money deposited for my spot) as of yesterday in nursing school 2 year ADN program. The wait list is nearly 2 YEARS before the nurse clinical stuff starts. My latest start date is Fall 2012 though there may be the chance to start in Jan of 12. So I am taking all the non clinical classes between now and then. I had to redo the sciences too. I'm also planning on going to an online RN to BSN transition program (one year) so I am taking additional courses to cover that as well. It's worked out that I will only have to take 3 biologies, 2 chemistries, higher level psych and possibly speech, intro to computers, and FL (waiting for the final say on transfer credits). So not a bad deal since my previous degree was only an associates. In my area, the 2 year program is better known for their nursing abilities than the four year. And the online Rn to BSN program is also highly sought. So that's why I went that route. Good luck ! Maybe we should start an online study group for A&P LOL! What book are you using`?

Sounds like fun! I could've made a career out of going to college - I love taking classes, taking tests, writing papers, etc. It doesn't pay well though.

Are you going to work with cadavers?

My lab partner in Biology 101 was an older lady getting recertified in nursing. She saved me from having to poke around in that cute little pig. I just don't have the stomach for that sort of thing. I'm always awed by folks that aren't bothered by blood and such.

Sounds like fun! I could've made a career out of going to college - I love taking classes, taking tests, writing papers, etc. It doesn't pay well though.

Are you going to work with cadavers?

My lab partner in Biology 101 was an older lady getting recertified in nursing. She saved me from having to poke around in that cute little pig. I just don't have the stomach for that sort of thing. I'm always awed by folks that aren't bothered by blood and such.

It is a lab that includes dissections, and I know for sure there's a cat. I am waiting for the teacher to post a full syllabus. Furries are harder than frogs, to be sure, but after all these years of diapering and cleaning up after sick kids, I'm not sure there's much that can phase me anymore... we'll see!

Guest LisaB62

Congratulations! I went back to a college as a single mom of three children Jan 2007. I graduated with my AA degree in May of 2009 and am now a full-time student at University of Arkansas. I take 15 credits each semester. I commute 100 miles a day for school. My 12 year old son comes with me and we have a blast! This semester I have been coming to school 5 days a week. Next semester I have managed to schedule my classes for 3 days a week. So, Tues and Thurs will be our "hands-on" homeschooling days...such as science experiments, etc.

I would love to be pen-pals with anyone else in the same situation!

Lisa

Auntie M, if you already have a 4 yr degree you can go into the 4 yr degree to masters programs at some schools. I know all the main unis around here have this. I'm not sure what it entails though.

I would love it if that were an affordable option. Right now I plan to use our (local, very highly regarded) CC's RN program. Once I am orking and making some money, and have a plan in place for helping my kids with tuition expenses, I hope to go one to one of our local universities for further studies. BSN, NP or perhaps legal nursing.

If money weren't an option I'd go straight for a four year uni, but the out of pocket cost difference for the two year program to RN is a good $8-10K. If the CC program were less highly regarded I'd not go there, but it is, and with the discounts associated with being a county resident... well, that's what makes it possible for me to even get started now.

Thanks to all for all your encouraging replies! Thanks for sharing my excitement!

Guest LisaB62

Auntie M,

Have you applied for Pell Grant? You need to fill out a FAFSA form. I get a grant every year that pays my tuition and books. I also have two scholarships. Talk to your financial aid advisor. They are very helpful!

Good luck! Lisa

Auntie M,

Have you applied for Pell Grant? You need to fill out a FAFSA form. I get a grant every year that pays my tuition and books. I also have two scholarships. Talk to your financial aid advisor. They are very helpful!

Good luck! Lisa

Just curious about that. I did get a pell grant (10 credit hours not full time) but they won't pay for books. I'm having to work out a loan to pay for those. Does it vary by degree or credits or something?

The good news is, is that many university hospitals will pay for 100-50% for future education, so once you get a job, you can advance for free or at least a discount. Nursing is a very enjoyable job in my opinion, and is very rewarding regardless of your degree level.

I have heard this and yes, it is my hope to have a future employer help fundmy professional development! I am glad to hear that you have found it rewarding. I expect I will, too.