Menu

Argh! We're on pins and needles

waiting for the SAT scores online tomorrow :D Ds took the SAT for the first time and hopes he did well.

Me, too...DD has to get a certain score for the scholarships she needs. I would hate for her to miss cut-offs by, say, 10 pts!

I'll join you in holding my breath until 7AM EST. :D

waiting for the SAT scores online tomorrow :D Ds took the SAT for the first time and hopes he did well. He's experienced with the ACT, but the SAT is a bit different and he's nervous about the differences. We'll see tomorrow....

He has solid scores. Nothing stellar but about where I thought he would be. I still have trouble grasping the meaning of SAT compared to ACT but I guess that's just because I am used to the ACTs. He has a comparative ACT of a 31 composite which makes for some nice scholarship money at the univ he will probably attend. For some reason he has suddenly become interested in his scores this past week and is itching to take the tests again to improve. We'll see next month how the ACT went as well.

His writing was his weakest but that has always been the case with my boys :glare: so no surprise there.

His writing was his weakest but that has always been the case with my boys :glare: so no surprise there.

I wasn't tracking the date the scores would be posted, so was surprised to be woken up this morning to the sound of my son ranting and raving.

He took it for a second time and says his written essay score went down 60 points :eek: !!!!

I keep telling him his scores are perfectly fine (even the bad essay score has 93 percentile next to it) but he won't listen to reason. I think maybe there's a bit of sibling rivalry going on here combined with an excessively driven personality type. :tongue_smilie:

In retrospect, I'm really glad that my eldest son took it only once and I think I might encourage my younger kids to do the same.

There is a wide range of "good enough" (I know some very bright people who were excellent students, yet literally booted the SAT, but went on to be very successful) so people shouldn't beat themselves up over their scores, no matter what they are. :)

I wasn't tracking the date the scores would be posted, so was surprised to be woken up this morning to the sound of my son ranting and raving.

He took it for a second time and says his written essay score went down 60 points :eek: !!!!

I keep telling him his scores are perfectly fine (even the bad essay score has 93 percentile next to it) but he won't listen to reason. I think maybe there's a bit of sibling rivalry going on here combined with an excessively driven personality type. :tongue_smilie:

In retrospect, I'm really glad that my eldest son took it only once and I think I might encourage my younger kids to do the same.

There is a wide range of "good enough" (I know some very bright people who were excellent students, yet literally booted the SAT, but went on to be very successful) so people shouldn't beat themselves up over their scores, no matter what they are. :)

Funny thing is that the English subtest on the ACT tends to be ds's best score (33 last April) but the writing section on the SAT was his lowest (600 with 82%). That's just weird, IMO. Obviously the format of the ACT works better for him on English/Writing anyways.

Funny thing is that the English subtest on the ACT tends to be ds's best score (33 last April) but the writing section on the SAT was his lowest (600 with 82%). That's just weird, IMO. Obviously the format of the ACT works better for him on English/Writing anyways.

SAT 600 in writing is very good IMO (don't know how you define stellar, but to me 600 is between solid and stellar - so I define your ds score more then solid!). The sat has a weird sort of "reasoning" aspect to it - but turns out to be like trick questions. For my ds the ACT was much more straight forward on how it asked things. We actually like the ACT over the SAT because of that. I think any SAT in the 600's is actually awsome. We don't care or try for over 700 here - not trying to get into MIT.

Barb