Menu

computer geeks- why have graphics disappeared?

Ok, my son couldn't take his statistics test online because the graphics didn't show up. On my google homepage, there is just an x for the graphic. (That is what the test did.) But here on this board, the Well Trained mind graphics are there at the top of the page. I've cleared cookies and restarted and this has been going on for awhile now. Any ideas?

Christine

Not sure what you mean? The internet? Microsoft?? I didn't know there was more than one. Internet Explorer.

Christine

The internet is all the webpages and stuff out there that there is to see.

The browser is the program you use to view the internet.

Internet Explorer is one such browser. There are other browsers, such as Firefox and Google Chrome. Some websites work better in one or the other. You could download another browser and see if that works. Sometimes the red X means you have a bad or slow connection so the pictures won't load, or that a link is broken on the website you're trying to view.

It is just te google home pagethat you put it. Normally there is some picture that changes daily to fit the theme. I remember one timet was a pinball machine. It is just recently that I have this x. I guess I can talk to dh about loading another browser... I just don't understand why it just quit working last week.

Christine

Internet Explorer is the default browser for Windows. The default for Macs is Safari. Firefox is another very popular browser, and google chrome is still fairly new.

There was some phasing out of certain versions of certain browsers a little while ago. It could be that you need to simply update your current browser to a newer version. It could also be that the pages themselves that you were looking at before have not been updated. If that is the case, there isn't anything you can really do about that.

Internet Explorer 8

Have all of your graphics disappeared or is it only on certain pages? Can you see the graphics at the top of the forums, for example? The google header is a png graphic, there are some known compatibility issues with internet explorer (even 8). I would definitely give firefox a try and see how it goes, keeping in mind you'll need to install the java and flash plug-ins.

If *that* doesn't work, then it may be a spyware or netnanny type program blocking your graphics. If that's the problem, then you need to track down what is blocking them and adjust security settings.