Menu

Spanish for a kindergartener?

Ellyndria

DS said he wants to do Spanish. While I did take Spanish for four years in high school, and can pronounce everything, I really can't speak it, because I've lost most of the vocab. So while it is familiar, I really don't want to put a whole lot of effort into it myself, at the time. I currently have Flip Flop Spanish, but am not using it, because right now it feels like too much effort, and it's just a workbook. :tongue_smilie: I'd like something with a video he can watch, maybe some online games (are there any?), and a few worksheets would be ok, but not a lot.

For a while last year I had him watch a few Salsa videos, but then finding them became a pain, and then downloading and figuring out what order they were in became a pain, and some were missing, and some were really tiny on my computer screen.

So, any suggestions?

I think the easiest way to start that young is to pick a couple phrases and add them to you day. When those are comfortable add a couple more.

I usually pick things I am saying all the time anyway.

Cepillarse tus dientes.

Que hora es?

Vamanos.

Donde esta tu ______? (even if you add the thing in english)

Quireres________? (again even in english)

Or pick some things that you will say in spanish, pick things you talk about a lot.

los zapatos

la leche

el libro

tus ropas

and so on

We also think it is fun to watch movies in Spanish, so many of the DVD's we own and the kids have seen 100 times already can be changed to spanish.

We have been using Elementary Spanish through Discovery Streaming. It has video lessons with a teacher, some cute songs, etc. He could probably start the 1st-2nd grade level, not much writing, there are some cut and paste type activities in the teacher manual. I think you can do a 30 day trial to Discovery Streaming to check it out.

We use elementary Spanish on discovery streaming, and get the "Let's Find Out" K magazine from Scholastic in Spanish, plus the worksheets from the website, which helps give her vocabulary and reading practice in Spanish. If you go to the scholastic magazines site you can read their magazines online (the digital whiteboard edition), but I think having the print version is worth the $7 or so a year it costs for homeschoolers.

Online: Jump Start Spanish

Workbook: McGraw Hill's Complete Book of Spanish

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Spanish-English/dp/0769634265

Spanish programming with a very colorful book, games, songs, and audio CD: McGraw Hill's Learning Spanish with Children (I got mine from Barnes and Noble years ago). It came in a case....

We use elementary Spanish on discovery streaming, and get the "Let's Find Out" K magazine from Scholastic in Spanish, plus the worksheets from the website, which helps give her vocabulary and reading practice in Spanish. If you go to the scholastic magazines site you can read their magazines online (the digital whiteboard edition), but I think having the print version is worth the $7 or so a year it costs for homeschoolers.

dmmetler, Would you mind sharing the link or adress to the online Spanish magazine? I've been browsing the website but I can't find it. I'd love to be able to use it! Thank you so much!

Never mind, I think I found it... Is this it?

http://es.maryglasgowplus.com/

Edited by Mabelen