Menu

History "Output" ? - Logic stage, WTM-style

patchfire

If your child(ren) does logic stage history in a style even somewhat vaguely reminiscent of the way SWB lays it out in the WTM, would you share their "output" in a given week? How much reading you require outside the reading in whichever book chosen as a "spine?" Do they do timeline work, map work, read in an atlas about the area?

We're doing history as laid out in WTM for fifth grade, and honestly, I'm not sure if I'm asking for too much written output at this point. I don't have a good handle on how to increase my expectations for future years. I'm also unsure about how much extra reading to require. How are others interpreting this portion of WTM?

If your child(ren) does logic stage history in a style even somewhat vaguely reminiscent of the way SWB lays it out in the WTM, would you share their "output" in a given week? How much reading you require outside the reading in whichever book chosen as a "spine?" Do they do timeline work, map work, read in an atlas about the area?

We're doing history as laid out in WTM for fifth grade, and honestly, I'm not sure if I'm asking for too much written output at this point. I don't have a good handle on how to increase my expectations for future years. I'm also unsure about how much extra reading to require. How are others interpreting this portion of WTM?

We actually cut down on the volume of writing for history when we started the MCT language arts program. Now that we're starting the middle ages, with a greater combination of external reading to go along w/ the spine, I'll be expecting more writing, but not more than 1-2 summaries a week, with larger essays as we finish larger topics.

We no longer do the timeline or map work. We found it tedious and didn't feel it actually helped w/ retention or deeper understanding of the materials. Our additional reading materials are going to be mainly period literary works.

My 11yo, 6th grader.

From Mystery of History (Note, We keep summaries short here. I want no more than a one paragraph summary).

Monday - Summary of lesson, timeline

Tuesday - Copywork from lesson or primary source, timeline

Wednesday - Summary or outline, timeline

Thursday - Mapping activities

Additional reading is assigned in Famous Men of the Middle Ages, library books, chapter books, primary documents, etc.

For example, this week her additional reading are the poems The Lady of Shalot by Tennyson and The Seafarer, and the chapter on Justinian the Great in Famous Men of the Middle Ages. For literature, she is reading The Sword in the Circle by Sutcliff. No written work will be required for these. She just gives me an informal narration.

She also gets to choose between a one page essay on the Feudal System or on how one became a knight (Paige, Squire, Knight). She'll need to research using library books. That is due Friday. I don't assign an essay in history every week.

Oh, and she is using The 100 Most Important Events in Church History to create her own deck of cards. Each card has the event, date, and a one sentence summary. She does this 3-4x a week.

My 3rd grader does this...

From Mystery of History

Monday - Summary of lesson, timeline

Tuesday - Copywork from lesson or primary source, timeline

Wednesday - Summary of lesson dictated, timeline

Thursday - Mapping activities

And reads additional library books and literature books as he shows interest. NO additional written work is required. He has more hands-on projects like model-building, coloring & drawing, acting out the lesson with army men. Whatever.

Edited by Daisy