Menu

Does anyone use homemade eye cream?

Yes. I do. Right now, I'm making all my creams with my next step being lotions.

I think it depends on what you want out of a cream and is it just for night or day-time use as well.

For day-time, I use plain old Grape Seed Oil. Just a dab will do ya, kwim? Actually, I use it for my facial moisturizer for day-time, but it's really great for the eye area.

For a night eye cream, I melted unrefined shea butter and organic coconut oil in a double-boiler (NEVER melt over direct heat). After removing from the heat, I continued to stir until room temp but still liquid, and then added jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, aloe vera, and lavender and peppermint essential oils, shook well, then poured it into a small glass container with a lid. I store it in the frig. It firms up, but isn't hard; more cream texture.

This makes a terrific lip balm as well, I've discoverd :001_smile: and I like it so much, I just use it as my night-time facial moisturizer......and for a night-time foot moisturizer worn with cotton socks. Also great on elbows.

I didn't measure exactly, but I can give you approximates if you'd like.

I'm now making all my skin care and personal care products and, wow, can I tell the change in my skin! Why didn't I discover this before I turned 50????

I'm new at all of this and live in a backwoods, super small town to boot (where nothing is available), so with that in mind, I have to purchase everything from the internet.

I go onto amazon and read reviews. I started with just essential oils, found some I liked, and went from there. I like essential oils from Plantlife. I like products from NOW foods (unrefined Shea butter, grape seed oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, stuff like that) and I think the organic coconut oil is Nutriva.

The idea for even trying to make my own creams came from the book The Complete Guide to Essential Oils that I found at our library. It was amazing! So using that as inspiration, and looking at the ingredient labels for many, many natural products that cost an arm and a leg, I've made things like spray-on, leave-in hair conditioner, deodorant spritzers, tooth-powder, facial masks and facial scrubs, bath salts/soaks, deodorant, and gotten ideas for many more things. Then, I went online and researched making lotions, so that is my next goal, but it also gave me ideas to improve my other creations.

Yes, I think I save money, but there is an initial up-front investment. The oils, both essential and others, will last for a long, long time as just a bit is used each time. The Shea butter goes a little faster, but it really isn't all that expensive. The biggest cost at first was finding jars to put my creations into. I ended up going to the store and buying a product.....for example a bottle of spray-on/leave-in hair conditioner and then dumping it down the drain, cleaning the bottle out, sterilizing it, and then refilling it with my creation. I did this so I wouldn't have to re-label the bottle; I know that it is what the bottle says it is, LOL. I did the same thing with my night cream and my eye cream and my lip cream. In the long run, it will save me money because I can re-use the bottles/pots for years. And, luckily, my mom used to buy a zillion small Tupperware containers with lids that I inherited....so I've put them to use.

But, when you look at the cost of buying already-made natural products....the cost is astounding. Even Burt's Bees is very expensive compared to what I can make the 'same' product for, and they are a low-end (price-wise) company. I understand that these smaller companies are trying to make a profit by offering these natural products that aren't available in the general market, so I don't begrudge them their pricing; but when I can make the same or better product for waaayyyy cheaper on my own....I'll just do that.

I've heard there is a company called Mountain something where you can buy a lot of these types of things. I read about it in another thread and I saw it on one of the homemade lotions sites I read today and it sounds like a reputable company to purchase from. Maybe Mountain Rose Herbs? You could check them out.

I'm also making all my own cleaning products and using all natural shampoos and laundry detergent in an effort to rid our home from as many chemicals as possible. It's amazing how clean and fresh everything feels now; my body, my clothing, my dishes, my floors, my carpets....who knew?

Any recipes for moisturizer? I am having trouble with dry skin and everything I buy makes me break out. I never thought of making my own...

Beth

hi beth,

try a honey mask. you can also crush up an aspirin and mix it in, which is great for break-outs. for moisturizer, try virgin coconut oil (apply in the morning and night). it will go on greasy, but quickly is absorbed into your skin.

i have very sensitive skin, and the honey mask and coconut oil work wonderfully. i've been doing this for months now, with no issues. previously, i used olay complete for sensitive skin. i discovered these tips from other mamas at another forum i frequent, and many of them do the same regime (some add yogurt & banana to their honey mask too, but i don't). hth.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've already started making my own laundry detergent, but I do use the Method brand dryer sheets. I'm just so tired of paying out the whazoo for non-chemically infused stuff for my face. There just has to be a better way!

I'll check out that site and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again!

I use olive oil morning & night on my whole face (eyelids too). I have been doing it for almost a year. It has been amazing for my skin. It has taken away the crows feet around my eyes. It does not make me break out- which I was afraid it would. I just keep it in a dropper bottle on the bathroom counter.

castor oil is wonderful. helps with dark circles, lines, and helps eyelashes grow. it's the total package IMO.

What?! Tell me more!

Are you talking about, "I didn't sleep well last night" dark circles or these horrible, all around the eye, blue and brown, not even $150 cream will make them budge dark circles?

What?! Tell me more!

Are you talking about, "I didn't sleep well last night" dark circles or these horrible, all around the eye, blue and brown, not even $150 cream will make them budge dark circles?

i've always had darkish eyes, when i was young everyone said it was due to allergies...well, they are better since i started using castor oil than they ever have been. :)

What?! Tell me more!

Crissy, have you tried taking vitamin K? It's supposed to help with dark circles.

• 1 month later...