Menu

Are these complete sentences?

curlygirlzx2

Blend in the dark.

Print at the desk.

According to AAS 2, the above are complete sentences. I'm not a grammar expert by any means but they look like fragments to me. Can someone help me out please? Thank you!

They are complete because they are imperative sentences with an understood subject of [you].

If I said to my daughter, "Clean your room", there would be an understood subject of "you." (Imperative/command) If you diagrammed the simple subject and verb, it would be diagrammed as:

[you]|clean

I'll be the nay-sayer. I do believe that AAS probably intends them to be commands with understood 'you' for a subject. But to me they are fragments. Sentences must make sense. 'Blend in the dark' doesn't make any sense at all unless you believe you must turn the lights off to make margaritas. This command makes so little sense that I'd say it is a fragment. I think it's definitely ambiguous enough that it shouldn't be used to teach commands.

Heather

I'll be the nay-sayer. I do believe that AAS probably intends them to be commands with understood 'you' for a subject. But to me they are fragments. Sentences must make sense. 'Blend in the dark' doesn't make any sense at all unless you believe you must turn the lights off to make margaritas. This command makes so little sense that I'd say it is a fragment. I think it's definitely ambiguous enough that it shouldn't be used to teach commands.

Heather

If you look at a pp, it was actually, "Blend the drink," which makes sense; though "Blend in the dark," is much funnier. :D