Menu

Is "Christ-centered" a euphemism for creationist science only?

All the active homeschooling groups in my area appear to be Christian. Information posted on the web about one of the groups indicates that all homeschool families are welcome but also indicates that the group is "Christ-centered." I do not want to offend the members of the group by asking questions about what to them may be obvious.

No. It means that they are not going to apologize for praying at the start of the meeting. :001_smile:

Seriously, it really will vary from group to group what specifically will be included in "Christ-centered." For some, it will mean creationism, for others it might mean skirts only, for another it might mean that only Christians can join, for others it will mean open to all but founded upon Christianity.

All the active homeschooling groups in my area appear to be Christian. Information posted on the web about one of the groups indicates that all homeschool families are welcome but also indicates that the group is "Christ-centered." I do not want to offend the members of the group by asking questions about what to them may be obvious.

Maybe you can make a visit to the group before joining to see if it is a good fit or not. If they are offended by you asking a question than they are too easily offended. They probably won't be offended. It seems that just about any term used can have a different meaning and way of being applied by different people.

I was in a group that was "forthrightly Christian". In practice, it meant that board members signed a statement of faith (sorry, I no longer have a copy so I can't say if it would have excuded some like Catholics), that there were prayers before many meetings, and that they tended to have an overlap with several chapel and off base church groups.

I don't think you would have a problem if you said something like you did in your post. Christ center does tend to raise different expectations in different places.

I don't think that it has to restrict your science curriculum, but then I'm a Christian who doesn't feel that I have to shy away from science (even though I may put an asterix on some statements). I do think that a creation science person would expect at least not to be mocked if not that they would be in the majority. But it could be that Christ centered is how group members are trying to indicate that they use Christian books only and are whole heartedly creationist.