Menu

Singapore 3A -- CLE equivalent?

fastforward

I would like to occasionally use a supplement to Singapore 3A, and after some cursory reading, I think CLE would be a good choice for what I would like. However, I'm unsure which CLE LightUnits would match up to where my daughter is in Singapore Math.

Does anyone use both of these programs together? I know they don't line up exactly, but does anyone know the LUs that correspond the best with SM?

Thanks!

Oh duh, I should have thought to ask this on the CLE yahoo group since I've been a member there for a while. I suppose I thought it might be taboo to ask how another curriculum matches up.

I don't want to use the entire CLE curriculum with my daughter, just use a few LUs here and there to review and/or cement certain topics. For example, I don't feel that Singapore 3A has enough review of multiplication, plus I feel like some other topics like money are being put on the back burner for now. By giving her a few CLE LUs, she could review these topics relatively independently.

I'm just looking for the CLE LUs that might best (not perfectly) match up with SM 3A.

Due to the spiral nature of CLE, I think it may be hard to supplement by using only a few light units. Each lesson in the light unit has only a few problems on a particular topic and they build gradually.

I have used CLE to supplement but we do all the light units about a level behind. Because we use it as review, it only takes my ds about 15 minutes to complete a lesson. Definitely use the diagnostic test for initial placement.

Due to the spiral nature of CLE, I think it may be hard to supplement by using only a few light units. Each lesson in the light unit has only a few problems on a particular topic and they build gradually.

:iagree: I was about to post the same thing. Have you looked at Math Mammoth? You can buy topical (blue series) books for $3-5 to give her extra practice.

I'm just looking for the CLE LUs that might best (not perfectly) match up with SM 3A.

Since CLE is spiral/incremental, it would be hard to try to pick LU's that match up by topic. Any given lesson might have some multiplication problems, addition/subtraction problems, drawing lines/rays/line segments, money problems, measurements, etc.

If you are looking to work on specific topics, then I've heard that Math Mammoth is good for that.

CLE is a great math program, but I really can't see using it as a supplement to something else if you are trying to match up certain topics, unless you are wanting to buy a whole set of LU's and just pick and choose problems to do (which I know would make me feel as though I were wasting money).

ETA: I guess several of us were posting at the same time!!!