Menu

Early Reader Books With Strong Girls?

Saille

Poor Posy! She's tagging along after her brother in her reading. They both love high fantasy, and she's getting really sick of the few adventurous girls afforded to her being adjunct characters. She burst into tears this morning because she realized that a primary Warriors character she'd been assuming was a girl was actually a boy (hard to tell with cats, and she's reading through the graphic novel, so there are not a lot of gendered pronouns).

I'm doing my best, but a lot of the books I can think of are chapter books more advanced than my 7 y.o. can handle. And I'm finding a lot of realistic fiction when what she wants is fantasy. The only fantasy books I've so far pulled from my own shelves are:

The Light Princess, by George MacDonald

The Ordinary Princess, by M.M. Kaye

Tatterhood and Other Tales, by Ethel Johnston Phelps

And two of those would have to be read-alouds.

I have loads of picture books with strong female protagonists, but as far as picture/early chapter books that are fantasy AND have strong female leads...um, help?

These might be too much for her at the moment, but:

Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Nerilka's Story by Anne McCaffrey

the Blue Sword and the Sword & the Crown by Robin McKinley (stay away from Deersong, disturbing content)

Dealing With Dragons (and subsequent novels) by Patricia Wrede

What about series Secrets of the Droon? The reading level is about the same as Magic Tree House, so maybe about first grade/second grade. It's more fluff than Magic Tree House because the reader is not learning about historical figures or about real countries. It's along the same vein as Harry Potter where there are 3 main characters, one of whom is a girl. My daughter loves fantasy too but she doesn't seem to mind whether the main character is a girl or boy, so in that sense, it's easier to find books to please her. Chronicles of Narnia has Lucy and Susan, but the reading level is more difficult.

Oooh, Droon might work. Hadn't thought of that.

Bill, are you advocating...twaddle?!? (We do read them, though. She likes them.)

Punchy, most of those are books I like, but they're all too high at the moment. I agree that Deerskin is disturbing...The Hero and the Crown has implied adult situations, as I recall, but nothing like Deerskin. And I'll hook her up with Beauty, Rose Daughter, and Spindle's End when she's ready, along with a host of others. But for now, they need to be somewhere between The Paper Bag Princess and *about* Magic Tree House's level of difficulty.

Bill, are you advocating...twaddle?!? (We do read them, though. She likes them.)

Do people consider Magic Tree House books "twaddle" for emerging readers? I don't think I do. I'm all :bigear: for suggestions of non-twaddle for 6-7 year olds if someone had a better idea.

Oh, Jane Yolen (sp?) has a book titled something like Not a Damsel in Distress that features the sorts of stories you seem to be looking for.

Bill

We're doing the Warriors books as read-alouds, and my DD is quite pleased about how both male and female cats are warriors, the Thunderclan leader is a warrior, etc. We also like the Redwall books (still read-aloud at this point) for having some (not enough, but some) pretty strong female characters.

Okay, fantasy, girl, early chapter books...

Um... you've stumped me. There's those horrible Pet Fairies books, but please don't give her those. And, as others said, there's Warriors and Droon. Honestly, the Magic Treehouse may be the best option with those limitations. I agree with Bill strongly that they're NOT twaddle. They aren't high literature either, but some of the things that put adult readers off (the repetitive phrasing and plots, for example) are specifically teaching early readers how to read longer books.

One more thought is Spiderwick Chronicles. The reading level is only a couple notches up from Magic Treehouse. Like Magic Treehouse, there's a sort of balance between the male and females voices. It's definitely fantasy and leans closer to that high fantasy style. It's a little scary, but not as spooky as the Victorianesque art makes it look.

Okay, and there is a nice manga (comics) for kids version of all the Miyazaki movies (Kiki's Delivery Serivce, My Neighbor Totoro...) Each one is 4 volumes, IIRC. If you don't know these movies, they're very sweet fantasies and most of them are girl-centric. Not high fantasy, but great stuff. Not twaddle... unless you're the sort of person who thinks all comic books are automatically twaddle.

Of course, there are lots of other girl series books - Judy Moody, Clementine, etc. - but not fantasy. I'm all ears though if anyone else has ideas.

Just thought of another one - The Night Fairy by Laura Schlitz (here). DD enjoyed this immensely and the main character is obviously a girl - intelligent and brave.

ETA: This is not an early chapter book, the words are small, and it's maybe a 2nd/3rd grade level book, but it's a very quick read-aloud.

Edited by crazyforlatin

2nd, 3rd grade reading level? Gah.

Igraine the Brave (will probably be a read aloud) and A Princess, a Pirate, and One Wild Brother by Funke (who also has some wonderful princess themes picture books)

DD the Elder really liked a British series starting with Pirate Princess: Portia by Judy Brown

Araminta Spookie series by Angie Sage

The Araminta Spookie books also occurred to me... but they're spooky, not high fantasy.
I know, but there is just so little fantasy available with strong girls at that reading level. By about Gr. 4 that situation changes dramatically. Again not high fantasy, but DD the Elder also enjoyed Franny K. Stein.

I have loads of picture books with strong female protagonists, but as far as picture/early chapter books that are fantasy AND have strong female leads...um, help?

They're complete twaddle, but what about the Flower Fairy Books? or the Disney Fairy short chapter books. They all have female protagonists and a fairly simple reading level for chapter books. My 7 year old DD adores these books. One of the Disney Fairy books is actually by the Gail Carson Levine (Ella Enchanted) and isn't too bad.

Even more twaddle, but very easy to read early chapter books with strong female protagonists and fantasy are the chapter book versions of all those Barbie movies. I can barely stand them and hide them when I can, but DD also adores them.

My DD also loved "The Spiderwick Chronicles," and "Igraine the Brave," as mentioned by others. Some of the "Mrs. Piggle - Wiggle" books have elements of fantasy, and the ratio of boys and girls is pretty balanced.

The books in the Beast Quest series are about 2nd grade level and more scary than Droon. The main characters, a boy and a girl, fight monsters and an evil wizard. I'm not sure if the girl gets as much of the limelight as the boy however, but again, DD read through them all and commented that some of the beasts reminded her of the monsters in Greek myths.

the magic finger by roald dahl, my dd loves this book.

dd also has been reading the usborne book of greek myths and the sam mcbratney celtic myths book- lots of males but some strong females.

she likes the american girl books but these don't sound like your dd would like them much. if she does want to give them a try dd says the mysteries are better than the regular series.

magic school bus chapter books are great. a little more difficult than a magic treehouse but short fast paced chapters.

i think the quality of writing in the disney fairies books is a little better than the rainbow fairies but the rainbow fairies books have more action and less interpersonal relationship drama.

unicorn chronicles are said to be good fantasy writing. dd has one but hasn't started it yet.

A few more book title ideas for you of fantasy, and/or girl protagonist, plus a few past threads with even more ideas. I've tried to mark some as (G) girl protagonist, or (+) for books with both a strong girl and boy protagonist. Happy reading! Warmly, Lori D.

MYTH

- The Blind Men and the Elephant (Backstein/Mitra)

- Sim-Chung and the River Dragon (Schecter) (G)

- The Warrior Maiden (Schecter) (G)

- A Grain of Rice (Pittman)

FAIRYTALE

- Aladdin (Mistry)

- Mermaid Tales from Around the World (Osborne) (G)

- Beauty and the Beast (Osborne) (G)

- Tenggren's Golden Tales from the Arabian Nights (Tenggren) (+)

- Tales from the Ballet (Barber) (+)

- Tales from the Ballet (Untermeyer) -- out of print (+)

- The Golden Fairytale Book (Sequr) -- more of a 3rd/4th grade level (+)

- The World's Best Fairy Tales (Sideman) -- a Reader's Digest Anthology (+)

HOLIDAY

- The Tall Book of Christmas (Smith) (+)

- Jan Brett's Christmas Treasury (Brett) (+)

FANTASY

2nd grade reading level

- Catwings series (LeGuin) (+) -- several of the main winged cats are female

- Magic Tree House series (Osborne) (+)

- Toots and the Upside Down House (Hughes) (G)

- Moongobble and Me series (Coville)

- Dragonslayer Academy series (McMullan)

- The Littles series (Peterson) -- about a family

3rd grade reading level

- Magic Rainbow Fairy series (Meadows) (G)

- Flower Fairies Friends series (Barker) (G)

- Fairy Realm books by Rodda (G)

- The Unicorn's Secret series (Duey)

- Pippi Longstockings; Pippi in the South Seas (Astrid) (G)

- The Borrowers (series) (Norton) -- about a family with a daughter

- My Father's Dragon (Gannett)

4th grade reading level

- Enchanted Forest Chronicles (Wrede) (+)

- Sisters Grimm series (G)

- Charlotte's Web (White) (G)

- Trumpet of the Swan (White)

- The Mouse and the Motorcycle; Runaway Ralph (McCleary)

- The Rescuers, Miss Bianca, Miss Bianca in the Orient (Sharpe) (+) -- strong female

- Land of Oz; Ozma of Oz (Baum) -- lively sequels; skip Wizard of Oz (dull/long) (+)

- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series (Betty MacDonald) (+)

- The Princess School series (Mason) (G)

5th grade reading level

- Mary Poppins series

- Hitty, Her First Hundred Years (Field) (G) -- a doll's adventures over 100 years, 3 continents, and several owners

- Chronicles of Narnia (Lewis) (+) -- girl and boy siblings

- Half Magic; Magic by the Lake, Knight's Castle; Time Garden (Eager) (+) -- girl and boy siblings

- The Book of ... series (Ruth Manning-Sanders; illustrated by Brian Jacques) (+)

(Wizards, Mermaids, Princes & Princesses, Giants, Dwarves, Dragons, Goblins, Witches, etc)

GIRL PROTAGONIST

2nd grade level

- Pocahontas and the Strangers (Bulla) (G)

- Phoebe the Spy (Griffin) (G)

- The Little Riders (Shemin) (G)

- Helen Keller (Davidson) (G)

- Helen Keller's Teacher (Davidson) (G)

- Cam Jensen mystery series (Adler) (G)

- Clementine series (Pennypacker) (G)

- Hannah (Whelan) -- blind pioneer girl (G)

- Olivia Sharpe series (Sharmat) (G)

3rd grade level

- B is for Betsy (Heywood) (G)

- Betsy and Tacy series (Lovelace) (G)

- Understood Betsy (Fisher) (G)

- The Courage of Sarah Noble (Dalgliesh) (G)

- Grandma's Attic series (Richardson)

- House on Rocky Ridge (Macbride) -- series following Laura Ingalls Wilder's descendants (G)

- Silver (Whelan) -- daughter of an Alaskan "musher" gets a sled dog puppy (G)

- Pioneer Cat (Hooks) -- pioneer girl and her cat travel west in a wagon train (G)

- Sarah Plain and Tall (MacLachlan) -- US - pioneer times (G)

- The Cabin Faced West (Fritz) -- pioneer times US (G)

- Buttons for General Washington (Roop) -- Revolutionary War (G)

- Toliver's Secret (Brady) -- Revolutionary War (G)

- Mercy Watson series (G)

- Sarah Whitcher's Story -- Colonial US (G)

4th grade level

- Baby Island (Brink) (G)

- Naya Nuki: The Shoshone Girl Who Ran (Thomasa) -- friend of Sacajewea (G)

- Behind Rebel Lines (Reit) -- teen girl disguised as a boy / Union spy in Civil War (G)

- Daughter of the Mountains (Rankin)-- Tibetan girl tries to recover her dog (G)

- Little House on the Prairie series (Wilder) (G)

- Caddie Woodlawn (G)

- American Girl series (G)

- The Roman Mysteries series (Lawrence) - ancient Roman girl solves mysteries with help of boy/girl friends

- Elizabeth Enright books (+) -- usually girl and boy siblings

- Moffats series (Estes) (+) -- girl and boy siblings

- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (Konigsburg) (+)

2nd/3rd grade STEPPED READERS of famous females

- Joan of Arc (Corey)

- The Big Balloon Race (Coerr)

- Pocahontas: An American Princess (Milton)

- The True Story of Pocahontas (Penner)

- Sybil Ludington's Midnight Ride (Amstel)

- The Secret Soldier: The Story Of Deborah Sampson (McGovern)

- The Daring Escape of Ellen Craft (Moore)

- Escape North! Story of Harriet Tubman (Kulling)

- Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (Roop)

- The Josefina Story Quilt (Coerr)

- Helen Keller: Courage in the Dark (Hurwitz)

- Little Sure Shot: Annie Oakley (Spinner)

- The Girl Who Struck Out Babe Ruth (Patrick)

- Flying Ace: Story of Amelia Earhart (Bull)

- Vanished! Mysterious Disappearance of Amelia Earhart (Kulling)

- Great Women Atletes (Bailer)

... Recommended fairy tale compilation

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193921&highlight=fairy

Beginning chapter books for girls?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196319&highlight=girl+chapter+books

Need help with readers for 6 yr old girl

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52129&highlight=girl+chapter+books

Another book suggestion thread (for advanced reading 6yo DD)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200272&highlight=girl+chapter+books

Book Suggestions PLEASE for 6/7yo girl

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36887&highlight=3rd+grade+readers

Independent Chapter/Series Books for DD 7.5yo

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102207

What are your 7/8 yr old DDs reading?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212324&highlight=girl+chapter+books

Recommendations for Books on Animals for DD

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104426&highlight=fantasy

Edited by Lori D.
added more titles and links

Wow! I thought this thread was looking a bit sleepy, and then I skipped a day, and *bam*! Thanks!

Bill, I'm kidding, really. My kids love the Magic Tree House books, but they do come up in twaddle threads a lot.

Some of the books posted are ones we've read or done as audiobooks already (Spiderwick, etc.), but I'm betting that some of them aren't fresh in her memory anymore. Igraine the Brave in particular got my attention. There are also quite a few books listed (Araminta Spooky and others) that I haven't heard of before, and we've never read The Magic Finger, so I'm pulling together a batch on Amazon. Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles was a big "launch" serious for my ds when he was dd's age, so maybe I'll try those, too. For those who are interested, I just saw a steampunkish hardcover by Tony DiTerlizzi, and it looked like it had a female lead, but it also looks a lot longer than your average Spiderwick book.

We've seen the flower fairy books and not been impressed. I think some of the Disney fairy books are written by Gail Carson Levine, who wrote Ella Enchanted, which might account for better writing quality, but I kind of gagged a little when I read that she was doing them. Tinkerbell as an icon has gotten a bit bootylicious for me, and I always kind of hated the girls-fighting-over-Peter-Pan thing anyway, so I've never encouraged Tinkerbell.

We love love LOVE Miyazaki. Have y'all heard that his studio just did a version of the Borrowers? Hurrah for Arriety, strong female character! We have one of the Totoro graphic novels, but I hadn't thought about tracking down some of the others. Castle in the Sky might be a good start, since we haven't seen that one in a while.

Lori D., that is an amazing post! I will be paging through that one for a while...

For those who are interested, I just saw a steampunkish hardcover by Tony DiTerlizzi, and it looked like it had a female lead, but it also looks a lot longer than your average Spiderwick book.

I haven't read it yet (it's on my list for after I finish my friend's first MG novel... plug coming... The Carnival of Lost Souls) - it's longer, but when I thumbed through it, it was also much more heavily illustrated than most MG novels. It was definitely a book that the publishers seemed to make look long, KWIM?

We love love LOVE Miyazaki. Have y'all heard that his studio just did a version of the Borrowers? Hurrah for Arriety, strong female character! We have one of the Totoro graphic novels, but I hadn't thought about tracking down some of the others. Castle in the Sky might be a good start, since we haven't seen that one in a while.

The news about the Borrowers got me excited too! You could also track down the original Diana Wynne Jones novel of Howl's Moving Castle. Though it's not that easy of a read - much more middle grades. But her Crestomanci series isn't too hard... something for the future, maybe? So much good fantasy for the future. There really should be more quality chapter book fantasy.

We've seen the flower fairy books and not been impressed. I think some of the Disney fairy books are written by Gail Carson Levine, who wrote Ella Enchanted, which might account for better writing quality, but I kind of gagged a little when I read that she was doing them. Tinkerbell as an icon has gotten a bit bootylicious for me, and I always kind of hated the girls-fighting-over-Peter-Pan thing anyway, so I've never encouraged Tinkerbell.

Yeah, I despise the Flower Fairy and Disney Fairy books as well, and I did say that they were complete twaddle when I suggested them. ("Suggest" not "recommend") If it weren't for the combination of female lead + fantasy + easy reading level, I wouldn't have brought them up. I cringe when my daughter checks them out from the library. Even DD admits that they are "sugar books." On the other hand, they were the first books that got my DD to realize that she could read a book without a picture on every page.

For what it's worth, there isn't much of Peter Pan (or fighting over boys) in the Disney Fairy books. Gail Carson Levine's Disney Fairy books are no-where near the quality of her other books, but the writing is a bit better than the Flower Fairies.

Igraine the Brave in particular got my attention.

That's a great book. DD loved it. Another good one that DD and I both really liked is "The Birthday Ball" by Lois Lowry.

Edited by Kuovonne