Menu

Help! PLAN or PSAT tomorrow??? What to do?

Okay, here's the story: A couple of months ago, I contacted the local school to register EK for the PSAT for tomorrow. I spoke with the guidance counselor, who asked what grade EK is in. I replied that she is in 10th. The lady gave me the necessary info, and then instructed me to call her on the 12th (today) for more specifics about testing times and room number, etc. When I called back today, the counselor said, "Do you want her to take the PSAT or the PLAN? Our 9th & 11th graders take the PSAT, and our 10th graders take the PLAN." I had no clue that the PLAN was even an option; the last time I checked, none of the schools in our area administered the PLAN, and the counselor didn't even mention it as an option when I called a couple of months ago! So when she asked about it today, that was the FIRST time I knew anything about it! :001_huh: If I had known, I would have had her take the PSAT last year (9th) and the PLAN this year (10th). :glare:

FWIW, EK has been taking practice tests for the PSAT, but has done nothing to prepare for the PLAN. I don't even know if there are practice tests for the PLAN! I do plan for her to take the PSAT next October (as an 11th grader) in hopes of qualifiying for the National Merit Scholarship program. She has not taken the actual PSAT before--only the practice tests in the provided booklet. She will also take the ACT and the SAT in the spring of her 11th grade year, and then she will take one of those again (her choice, but I expect she will choose the ACT) in the fall of her 12th grade year.

So...here is what I've been planning for EK as far as testing goes:

10th grade -- take the PSAT in October as practice for "the real thing"

11th grade -- take the "real" PSAT in October; take the SAT & ACT in the spring as practice

12th grade -- take either the SAT or ACT (her choice--whichever she feels more comfortable with--probably the ACT) in the fall

Anyway... I'm supposed to think about it and call the counselor back to let her know if I want EK to take the PLAN along with the school's 10th graders OR take the PSAT with their 9th & 11th graders. Taking both is not an option, as both tests are administered at the same time on the same day. :confused: What would you do?

I have no idea what a PLAN test it. My dd is taking the PSAT tomorrow as a practice. To me unless the PLAN test prepares you for something else or can get you some kind of admittance, scholarship etc. then take the PSAT since that will help prepare you for the biggest tests down the road.

Heather

Since EK will be taking both the SAT and the ACT, I would love for her to be able to take both of them this year, but that's not an option, so I have to just choose ONE of them.

Because of the NMS next year, I'd do the PSAT as a practice this year. Taking both would have been interesting, but the stakes aren't quite as high on the ACT (because the NMS isn't based on it, and because nothing that is based on it is restricted to a single shot test date with no do-overs), so I'd go with the PSAT.

She won't get another chance at real-world practice for the PSAT, so that would outweigh the other considerations, since the PSAT is THE high stakes test, if you think she is anywhere near contention for NMSQT Finalist status.

The ACT is much more "forgiving" in almost any way of considering it; I wouldn't waset this date on the PLAN. She can do the ACT any time, as many times as she wishes, and only have to report the single score that she desires.

Because of the NMS next year, I'd do the PSAT as a practice this year. Taking both would have been interesting, but the stakes aren't quite as high on the ACT (because the NMS isn't based on it, and because nothing that is based on it is restricted to a single shot test date with no do-overs), so I'd go with the PSAT.

:iagree:

Lisa

We did the PLAN this week, but my ds is only in 9th. I haven't decided yet whether he'll do the PLAN or the PSAT in 10th.

The PLAN has a couple of advantages that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

1. It's prep for the ACT, which is popular with colleges in Minnesota and in most of middle America (including Colorado, where my oldest went to school). I think it's recommended for most colleges that aren't on the east or west coasts.

2. It's often used in Minnesota to qualify for college courses in 11th grade through PSEO.

But you probably can't go wrong with either test.

Julie