Menu

Algebra I and Geometry all in one year?

My dd15 began Algebra I her freshman year, which was last year, and struggled with it from day one. We were using Teaching Textbooks and she hated it. By the time December rolled around, I knew we had to switch and try something different. I ordered Chalkdust. Mistake again! She still struggled with it and disliked it as well.

By that time, it was around the end of March. I did some more research and decided to give BJU Algebra I a try and made the plunge and ordered the DVD program. Although by this time she dreaded and hated Algebra, she was at least understanding it and making good grades on her tests.

She started the BJU program around the middle of April and is about 3/4 of the way finished. My dilemma now is that instead of starting Geometry back in August for her sophomore year like she should have, she is still working on Algebra I. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem if we were going to continue homeschooling but it looks like she'll be going to ps for her junior and senior year. I don't want her to be behind especially when it comes time to take her ACT. Not to mention the fact that she'll have to have that credit in order to fulfill the amount needed to enter ps as a junior.

Do you think it would be too much to go ahead and start Geometry while she's finishing up with Algebra I? Would it be too much? I'm hoping someone can help me decide because I really don't want to load her down with too much math.

Sorry for this post being so long! Thanks everyone! :)

We didn't use any of the programs you listed, but younger DS who struggles with abstract math (algebra) went thru Jacobs Algebra 1 in 9th grade, didn't really "get" it, so I had him do Algebra again in 10th grade, and he went through all of Math-U-See Algebra 1 in the first semester, and then all of Math-U-See Geometry (first time exposure to geometry) in the 2nd semester of 10th grade without any pressure.

We are now struggling through MUS Algebra 2 this year in 11th grade. I have a feeling we'll be reviewing it again next year while doing Consumer Math... BEST of luck in your abstract math struggles! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thanks Lori for that encouragement! She gets it honest, I was exactly the same way in high school. I also struggled with the abstractness of it as well but now as an adult I somehow understand it so much more but definitely not so skilled in it that I can teach it.

I do hate to see her struggle though.

How did your son do with Geometry? Did he struggle with it as well or did he do okay? Just curious.

The decision is ultimately yours, however, I do think it is possible to do both subjects at the same time especially since she already is partially through Algebra. Just make sure you allot a double amount of time for math. If Algebra takes one hour per day, then she should have an additional hour to work on Geometry too.

Regards,

Kareni

One option would be to finish Algebra I at a faster rate and then do Geometry at a faster rate.

I do think a few things in Algebra I will help with Geometry, so I'd make sure she is solid with simple algebra equations and maybe that she's been introduced to graphing equations? It depends on the scope & sequence of the particular geometry program...

If you're using the same publisher for both, then you might contact them for advice, too.

Julie

My daughter is doing both now, simultaneously. She is under a deadline to finish both by December 4 (SAT).

She has already been through Algebra 1 TWICE in the p/s system and Geometry, also. She then went on to Alg 2....she became ill and has had no math for nine months.

So we started Alg 1 and Geometry all over again. An hour a day of each. I put her Chemistry course on "temporary hold" until she finishes at last one of her math classes.

I purchased Math-U-See for both subjects. There are approximately 35 lessons in each workbook. I am having D do a lesson-a-day in each topic. Some she will be able to cover quickly and others she will have to slow down on, but for the most part, it should average out to one lesson per day.

I especially like the MUS textbook because each Lesson has an explanation and examples of only a page or two in length. Therefore it takes just a few minutes of reading to grasp the concept. Also, the worksheets in the workbook offer some cumulative review which you can choose to utilize, if you wish.

What I am doing is circling problems on the worksheet to do. If D can do them quickly and breeze right through with little effort, then I bump on to the next topic. If she needs additional explanation then there is always the video to watch (and even the video explanations are just a few minutes long).

I love Geometry and to me it feels nothing like Algebra, which I do not like. IMHO, Geometry feels like a combination of art and arithmetic mixed together. It uses a different part of the brain. Back in ancient Greece I believe they considered Geometry an art form. So I don't think your daughter will have a brain freeze from too much work in Math.

Ereks Mom you wrote:

"Anyone here have their dc do TT Algebra 1 & TT Geometry simultaneously? Please share! I think I remember reading that some people here have done this. I'd love to hear how you schedule this. How would this work with a student who is NOT strong in math?"

I think the difference is that you said that your student wasn't strong in math. I think it's very doable with a student who is strong in math, or at least willing to add another hour or more to their math work each day. Each student is so different.

Probably the best way to find out if it's doable is to try and see how it works out. Worst case scenario, the geometry book gets shelved for a year.

I think the difference is that you said that your student wasn't strong in math. I think it's very doable with a student who is strong in math' date=' or at least willing to add another hour or more to their math work each day. Each student is so different.

[/quote']

Yes, each student is different, and some kids could handle it, I'm sure. But the OP said, "My dd15 began Algebra I her freshman year, which was last year, and struggled with it from day one," which I took to mean that her dd is not a strong math student.

After having researched it, I decided against trying to do Algebra 1 & Geometry simulataneously. Geometry does require a good bit of familiarity with Algebra 1 concepts. If the student can handle it, I think it would be much better to either a) try to complete Algebra 1 in a semester and then do Geometry the next semester, OR b) spend a full year on Algebra 1 and then do Geometry & Algebra 2 in a year, either simultaneously or consecutively.

We did BJU Algebra 1 w/dvds, and then Geometry as well. It is the same teacher. The beginning is easier, you might be able to overlap them. We skipped the chapter on space (I think it was Ch. 10). That will save you time. Also, we came in after a bad time with Chalkdust geometry, so we audited some of Ch. 4, some of Ch. 5, and started with Ch. 6. We didn't even do the first three chapters. You could probably cut a chapter or two off of the end of Algebra 1 (we did it all because dd loves the teacher and how she teaches).

We are doing Algebra 2 with the online version and really like it. You get 18 months of access to the same content as the dvds. Just no dvds! It is $100 less.

Yes, each student is different, and some kids could handle it, I'm sure. But the OP said, "My dd15 began Algebra I her freshman year, which was last year, and struggled with it from day one," which I took to mean that her dd is not a strong math student.

After having researched it, I decided against trying to do Algebra 1 & Geometry simulataneously. Geometry does require a good bit of familiarity with Algebra 1 concepts. If the student can handle it, I think it would be much better to either a) try to complete Algebra 1 in a semester and then do Geometry the next semester, OR b) spend a full year on Algebra 1 and then do Geometry & Algebra 2 in a year, either simultaneously or consecutively.

You're right it could be that she struggled because she's not strong in math, or it could be because the math programs weren't the right ones.

I think it would take an extremely strong math student to do Algebra II and geometry in one year. For us anyway, Algebra II took a lot more time each day than Algebra I did. :tongue_smilie: I hope the OP finds whatever works best for her daughter.

DS did Algebra 1 (Foerster) and Geometry (Jacobs) together in 9th. He had "done" algebra in a school in 8th, but they had not even gotten to the quadratic equation, so I didn't think that qualified as having done algebra.

He understood the concepts, but wasn't a particularly strong math student (because he felt that decimal points, legible handwriting, and +/- signs were optional :glare:).

Geometry is very different from algebra, and some children like it significantly better. I suspect it would be easier on her to do a little of each, than to double up on the algebra and try to finish it in record time so she could then start geometry

My dd15 began Algebra I her freshman year, which was last year, and struggled with it from day one. We were using Teaching Textbooks and she hated it. By the time December rolled around, I knew we had to switch and try something different. I ordered Chalkdust. Mistake again! She still struggled with it and disliked it as well.

By that time, it was around the end of March. I did some more research and decided to give BJU Algebra I a try and made the plunge and ordered the DVD program. Although by this time she dreaded and hated Algebra, she was at least understanding it and making good grades on her tests.

She started the BJU program around the middle of April and is about 3/4 of the way finished. My dilemma now is that instead of starting Geometry back in August for her sophomore year like she should have, she is still working on Algebra I. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem if we were going to continue homeschooling but it looks like she'll be going to ps for her junior and senior year. I don't want her to be behind especially when it comes time to take her ACT. Not to mention the fact that she'll have to have that credit in order to fulfill the amount needed to enter ps as a junior.

Do you think it would be too much to go ahead and start Geometry while she's finishing up with Algebra I? Would it be too much? I'm hoping someone can help me decide because I really don't want to load her down with too much math.

Sorry for this post being so long! Thanks everyone! :)

I don't think it would be too much for her to start geometry while finishing up algebra 1. Just make sure she understands the material being explained and it should go pretty well. Try to work at her pace, and if she needs to work on vacations and possibly weekends, then allow her to do it. I had the same struggle and I understand part of algebra 1, but I need to redo it again, while I am still doing geometry. But I can handle this no problem, and now geometry is coming a bit easier for me since I have started.

Just relax and everything will work out! There is no problem with working through things while doing another course. I am also considering going back to ps in my 11th grade year, and working an 1 1/2 a day on algebra and geometry together has been great! I should finish soon.

Best of luck!

Cheyenne

I did both Algebra II and Geometry my sophomore year of high school, because I skipped 8th grade and wanted to be able to get ahead in math.

I wouldn't recommend doubling up maths if it's a problem subject for her, though. Picking up the pace as much as she's able and maybe working through the summer to finish geometry might be the way to go...though she may like geometry a lot better than algebra, you never know.

Wow! Thanks everyone for your posts. I've been out today running errands and am just now getting a chance to look at the replies.

She is doing good with the BJU like I mentioned in my first text. It's been a blessing. She isn't struggling any more. She has come across a few lessons where she had to slow down and take her time but she's gotten it and moved on instead of being stuck like before.

I've taken into consideration everyone's ideas and comments. In my gut, I think she can do both. Like was mentioned, I'll set aside an hour for each which would be no problem. And if it becomes too much, like was also mentioned, we'll just shelve it and wait until she finishes the Algebra I which should be in December sometime and she'll have Geometry to do the remainder of the year plus through the summer.

I'll think I may go with the online version this time though. I was going to when I went to order the Algebra but wasn't for sure if it was all the same content but now that I know it is, I'll probably go with it and save $100.

Thanks so much everyone, you're real blessings!

How did your son do with Geometry? Did he struggle with it as well or did he do okay? Just curious.

Nope. Flew through it. But he is strongly a VSL (visual-spatial learner) and geometry is a very visual 3-D type of math compared to the very abstract, logical-sequential algebra (which is the very type of thinking/processing that a VSL is weak in). However, he would probably have struggled more with the geometry if we had gone with Jacobs, which is very proof heavy compared to MUS, which I think is a "lite" geometry program...

Cheers! Warmly, Lori

That's good to hear. I'm not sure if BJU is proof heavy or not but maybe she'll get through it okay. Sounds like my daughter is a visual-spatial learner as well. Thanks Lori!

The proofs in BJU are well taught and not difficult. The tests break them down line by line, and are the same as what they learned in the chapter, not new ones. It seemed "just right" for us, we learned them but were not killed by them.

I think you can make this plan work. Glad to hear the BJU Algebra is going much better for her.

I hope the BJU Geometry goes well, too. But if you end up in a squeeze, having difficulty and thinking that you may run out of time, keep MUS Geometry in the back of your mind...just in case. Many people consider it a lighter study of Geometry.

We will also be using MUS Geometry concurrently with finishing up Algebra 1 this year, starting in just a couple of weeks, but after giving MUS a good look, I'm confident the plan is very doable.

Susan