Menu

Your Favorite Simple "Company" Meal?

My sister and her new boyfriend are coming for dinner Tuesday night. I need to prepare something that's pretty easy and doesn't take a long time (I do have to work all day Tuesday), but that can also be easily modified to meet my current dietary requirement of no sugar, starch (so pasta is out for at least my part of the meal) or oil.

I was thinking a chicken piccatta, but the way I make it is full of heavy cream (which I know is not normal but it's mine).

Help me! I'm really at a loss for what to do here and I don't know why I'm making this so difficult.

I think your chicken piccata dish sounds perfectly lovely!

Fish is something that cooks up fairly quickly, if you have a good recipe. One of my little secrets is to get some inexpensive salmon fillets (up here in the Pacific NW there are usually at least 3 different varieties of salmon you can buy at the meat counter), spread pesto over the top and broil it in the oven. I set my broil to 450 degrees so that I can be sure the pesto doesn't burn before the salmon is cooked through.

I have folks over most Sundays. Last week was cold and rainy, so it was roast chicken, roasted potatoes, salad, baked acorn squash. My dds made pumpkin pie. Today was gorgeous so I grilled beef (hamburgers, hot dogs, steak) outside, and served with rice pilaf, corn, potato salad, zucchini, and a green salad, The kids made oatmeal cookies. It depends on who is coming over.

Edited by LibraryLover

I'd love the chicken recipe with heavy cream! :D

I'd be happy to share except I don't really have a recipe. It goes something like this...

I use chicken cutlets and soak them in a mixture of milk or cream, salt, pepper, ton of garlic and a ton of parmasean cheese for...a while. As long as I have. Sometimes 10 minutes and sometimes overnight.

When I'm ready to cook them I dip them in Italian breadcrumbs and pan fry them in a little olive oil. When I take them out I deglaze the pan with some white wine, and then I start adding "stuff." A little lemon juice, heavy cream, capers, garlic, oregano, basil, a little salt and white pepper. If I have them, I'll add artichoke hearts.

I put the chicken on some pasta (I prefer angel hair) and pour the sauce over the top. It's really good, if I do say so myself. AND has also been quite a contributor to my weight gain over the last few years!

When company is coming- we go with a baked chicken dish or salmon. Salmon is the kids' favorite.....I buy the frozen ones at Costco- they even have one now that is marinated. VERY easy. You can avoid the pasta and just saute a bunch of vegies and serve sliced fruit. Add bread on the side for those who can have the carbs.

I have folks over most Sundays. Last week was cold and rainy, so it was roast chicken, roasted potatoes, salad, baked acorn squash. My dds made pumpkin pie. Today was gorgeous so I grilled beef (hamburgers, hot dogs, steak) outside, and served with rice pilaf, corn, potato salad, zucchini, and a green salad, The kids made oatmeal cookies. It depends on who is coming over.

I've always had a suspicion, but now I know for sure... I would like to be your friend!!

When company is coming- we go with a baked chicken dish or salmon. Salmon is the kids' favorite.....I buy the frozen ones at Costco- they even have one now that is marinated. VERY easy. You can avoid the pasta and just saute a bunch of vegies and serve sliced fruit. Add bread on the side for those who can have the carbs.

This is a great idea! This may be just the right thing.

Thank you!