Menu

What LA/Grammar works for your right brainer / Visual spatial learner ?

blessedmom3

We used Ruth Heller's picture books on the different parts of speech and made notebooking pages for each identifying point in the books so that my dd had a nice visual guide to grammar. We also used Montessori grammar boxes. I found the pieces to print out and made up our "boxes" with file folders.

Now we are using Scott Foresman and it seems to be working well. We do downloads a week. Each day we will do 1 part.

Nouns & articles There are more posts like these under language arts on my blog.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

The Michael Clay Thompson books from Royal Fireworks Press give the big picture first, with all the grammar concepts being covered at the beginning of the year, and then followed up with practice throughtout the year. They use four-level analysis rather than diagramming, but you could easily have them diagram instead.

We mainly use GWG. My more visual dd uses it as is; the diagramming makes my less visual dd (and sometimes me) spin in circles and cry, so we use GWG routinely but she does 4-level analysis rather than diagrams. We'll also do practice sentences from MCT now and then.

The Michael Clay Thompson books from Royal Fireworks Press give the big picture first, with all the grammar concepts being covered at the beginning of the year, and then followed up with practice throughtout the year. They use four-level analysis rather than diagramming, but you could easily have them diagram instead.

We mainly use GWG. My more visual dd uses it as is; the diagramming makes my less visual dd (and sometimes me) spin in circles and cry, so we use GWG routinely but she does 4-level analysis rather than diagrams. We'll also do practice sentences from MCT now and then.

:iagree:My 9 year old is a VSL and Grammar Island has been such a wonderful fit for him. He loves it, and retains the information very well. I make a 'word wall' to go help him visualize what we've just talked about by writing the articles or conjuctions on index card and posting them in the dining room where he'll see them many times a day.

for lower &upper elementary?

or what LA/grammar program gives "the big picture" first ?

I strongly agree with MCT recommendations. My very VS kids is thriving using this curriculum. It's also open ended enough to allow us to implement additional writing. I'd highly recommend using the entire curriculum rather than just pieces though if you're going to use it. The pieces tie together in ways that aren't immediately recognizable, but they tend to reinforce each other through the levels.

for lower &upper elementary?

or what LA/grammar program gives "the big picture" first ?

Junior Analytical Grammar and Analytical Grammar work well here. It doesn't have a big picture per say, but it does start with the parts covering one at a time. You continue to build skill upon skill, seeing each pieces in the context of the rest. Once more the order they use really clicked for me, where the traditional find the noun and subject first did not-if I couldn't find them I was stopped cold.

Heather