Menu

My 7th grade dd wants to switch back to Singapore

Quick history- we attempted Singapore when I first started homeschooling her. She completed 4th grade in PS and I started homeschooling her 5th grade year so ofcourse I got Singapore 5th grade right? I did not know it was advanced and she was behind in math. You can imagine how that worked out. :glare: We switched to BJU and got her caught up to grade level. Now she is in Pre-algebra using chalkdust and doing great but for some reason she really wants to switch back to singapore. So I printed out the placement test to give her tomorrow. I am almost positive she will start in 6A based on the 5B and 6A placement tests. Now, my concern is I am not the strongest mom in math :001_huh: Would this be do-able for a non math strong mom with the HIG's? Or would you recommend sticking with CD and LOF? (We would keep LoF either way)

Quick history- we attempted Singapore when I first started homeschooling her. She completed 4th grade in PS and I started homeschooling her 5th grade year so ofcourse I got Singapore 5th grade right? I did not know it was advanced and she was behind in math. You can imagine how that worked out. :glare: We switched to BJU and got her caught up to grade level. Now she is in Pre-algebra using chalkdust and doing great but for some reason she really wants to switch back to singapore. So I printed out the placement test to give her tomorrow. I am almost positive she will start in 6A based on the 5B and 6A placement tests. Now, my concern is I am not the strongest mom in math :001_huh: Would this be do-able for a non math strong mom with the HIG's? Or would you recommend sticking with CD and LOF? (We would keep LoF either way)

I think you would be fine, namely because you have access to the author of the HIG's. She is the moderator over on the singaporemath.com forums, and she is great about answering questions. :D

Continuing with Singapore upper level math they have three different options, and you don't have to do the hard one. I am mathy but plan to use the middle road because they have full answer keys (as in the problems fully worked out by the author). I just don't have the time to be working out math problems to verify anyone's work, KWIM? The upper level only has answer keys for the first two books and there are no plans to finish them becuase they loose money on them. I don't know much about the easiest level, but you could find out more on the forums.

Heather

I just learned today how to teach the harder part of singapore math...using the boxes. It was a "wow! I get it moment" for both my son and I! You can do this...if you really want to.

If she is in pre-algebra but placing lower in Singapore, then I would definitely move back to Singapore and get those skills before attempting pre-algebra again.

I think you would be fine, namely because you have access to the author of the HIG's. She is the moderator over on the singaporemath.com forums, and she is great about answering questions. :D

Continuing with Singapore upper level math they have three different options, and you don't have to do the hard one. I am mathy but plan to use the middle road because they have full answer keys (as in the problems fully worked out by the author). I just don't have the time to be working out math problems to verify anyone's work, KWIM? The upper level only has answer keys for the first two books and there are no plans to finish them becuase they loose money on them. I don't know much about the easiest level, but you could find out more on the forums.

Heather

How does the order of the upper level books go? Is the middle and the easy one still challenging? I doubt I would go with easy one though.

I just learned today how to teach the harder part of singapore math...using the boxes. It was a "wow! I get it moment" for both my son and I! You can do this...if you really want to.

If she is in pre-algebra but placing lower in Singapore, then I would definitely move back to Singapore and get those skills before attempting pre-algebra again.

Can you teach me?? :001_smile:

Ok so if she is doing pre-algebra now what would the equivalent level in Singapore be? We still have yet to do that placement test- we will do that in a little bit

I wouldn't be "afraid" to move away from the DVD type math program. I thought I would surely need something like mus when we first started hs'ing but quickly realized te math is really not that hard to teach and one of the few things I actually *enjoy* teaching. We switched from MUS to Singapore last year and I have been enjoying teaching the Singapore math. Granted, I *have* needed the HIG on occasion, and I'm sure I'll need it in the upper levels too. But I plan on sticking with singapore all the way through HS (unless it's just not working at some point). We supplement with LoF too & it seems like a great mix to me.

HTH! :)

What about Math Mammoth? Maria Miller says that 6-B will be published some time this fall.

MM is designed to be all-in-one and self-teaching. It also does a better job than Singapore IMHO at walking the student through the concepts step-by-step-by-step rather than making the conceptual leaps that Singapore does.

What about Math Mammoth? Maria Miller says that 6-B will be published some time this fall.

MM is designed to be all-in-one and self-teaching. It also does a better job than Singapore IMHO at walking the student through the concepts step-by-step-by-step rather than making the conceptual leaps that Singapore does.

Ok I am looking at math mammoth now-- Help walk me through this. What is the difference between the blue series, light blue series, golden series and green series?

How does the order of the upper level books go? Is the middle and the easy one still challenging? I doubt I would go with easy one though.

I own the first levels of both NEM and Discovering Mathematics (DM), but I haven't done more than glance at either. Most of what I know is from asking Jenny over on the forums, and reading other people's posts.

DM is said to have more detailed instructions with less logical leaps, and is supposed to have more practice problems. What makes NEM challenging is it will introduce a topic, given a couple practice problems, then have the child apply it to a totally different situations to make sure they understand the idea and are not just memorizing formulas. DM still has the challenging work, just with more practice with the easy stuff first.

My understanding is the third program (NSM I think) has yet more of the easy review problems, then has challenging work, but less of it.

All three are supposed to still get at the why of math, vs. being formula driven.

Heather

DM is said to have more detailed instructions with less logical leaps, and is supposed to have more practice problems. What makes NEM challenging is it will introduce a topic, given a couple practice problems, then have the child apply it to a totally different situations to make sure they understand the idea and are not just memorizing formulas. DM still has the challenging work, just with more practice with the easy stuff first.

DM also has an optional workbook that has problem sets that are more challenging than the ones in the text. We're really liking DM so far.

Ok I am looking at math mammoth now-- Help walk me through this. What is the difference between the blue series, light blue series, golden series and green series?

Blue series are single-topic worktexts and best used as a supplement to another program. Light Blue is the full curriculum with a mix of topics, tests, reviews, and so on. Gold and Green are worksheets only with none of the instruction. Those again are best used as supplements.

You would want the Light Blue series. I would imagine 6A is probably the right level but give the placement test to be sure.