Menu

Literary Lessons from LOTR vs. Teaching the Classics or something else?

Amy loves Bud

DS12 started public school this year and is doing very well in all his classes except English, where he's managing a low-mid B. There is no grammar and very little writing :glare:, but lots of literary analysis and comprehension, which we haven't really done much of in our homeschool, thinking we would start adding that in more in 8th grade/high school.

I was wondering how LLLOTR would work as a supplement for him at this age. He enjoyed The Hobbit, but hasn't read LOTR yet. Or would I be better off just using something like Teaching the Classics and letting him select books he wants to use?

He is required to always be reading, and though his teacher hasn't specfically mandated an amount of reading her expectation seems to be one book every 1-2 weeks. I would like to work with him on the literary analysis with the books he is reading so it doesn't add a lot of additional reading for him - we don't have a lot of extra time in our day with his homework and extracurricular load.

Any input from you all would be very helpful!

DS12 started public school this year and is doing very well in all his classes except English, where he's managing a low-mid B. There is no grammar and very little writing :glare:, but lots of literary analysis and comprehension, which we haven't really done much of in our homeschool, thinking we would start adding that in more in 8th grade/high school.

I was wondering how LLLOTR would work as a supplement for him at this age. He enjoyed The Hobbit, but hasn't read LOTR yet. Or would I be better off just using something like Teaching the Classics and letting him select books he wants to use?

He is required to always be reading, and though his teacher hasn't specfically mandated an amount of reading her expectation seems to be one book every 1-2 weeks. I would like to work with him on the literary analysis with the books he is reading so it doesn't add a lot of additional reading for him - we don't have a lot of extra time in our day with his homework and extracurricular load.

Any input from you all would be very helpful!

I wouldn't use either since you say you don't have a lot of time. Have you thought about looking to see if there are cliffnotes/sparknotes for the books he is already reading and your using those to discuss the books analytically?

I wouldn't use either since you say you don't have a lot of time. Have you thought about looking to see if there are cliffnotes/sparknotes for the books he is already reading and your using those to discuss the books analytically?

I use the Progeny Press Guides www.progenypress.com with my students for the literary analysis/apologetics class it teach on J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis.

Another thought would be to work with short stories and just have your son identify the basics: plot, theme, characterization, setting, tone, and point of view. For example, you can use a resource like Figuratively Speaking to quickly go over the definition of "plot" and the parts of a plot structure. Next, your son could read "The Lady, or the Tiger" and "The Most Dangerous Game. He can identify the parts of the plot for both stories. A week or two later, introduce characterization and another story. With the new story, you can look at plot and you can also analyze characters in the first two stories. You can keep the lessons short this way and fresh with the introduction of new material.

My one hesitation in further analyzing what he is doing at school is that the schools are often already flogging the life out of a work. Short stories allow for repeated skill practice.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

My one hesitation in further analyzing what he is doing at school is that the schools are often already flogging the life out of a work. Short stories allow for repeated skill practice.

Just to clarify on this note, the school is teaching literary analysis through boring textbook stories written for the purpose. They do not have any actual "literature" assigned for class discussion.

They are required to read from a wide range of genres at a rate of one book every 1-2 weeks, but Luke gets to choose the books he reads. These books are listed on a booklist he keeps, but otherwise they are not discussed or analyzed in school. I would like to work with him on the books he is reading so he doesn't have to read anything else.

I think I'm ruling out LOTR at this point because he would be locked into those books in order to get the full instruction. However, TTC does sound like it could help me discuss the books he is reading with him and give him the instruction he needs. Does this sound accurate?

I would get SWB's lecture on lit analysis. It's $3.99. She has questions for fiction and biographies, and the questions can be used for any book. It's enough for after school. We have an easel in our school room, and I wrote the questions on a flip chart for easy reference.

I agree with the rec of Figuratively Speaking. Also, the logic stage literature questions in TWTM are really, really good as jumping off points for discussion--you could use those with the books he is already reading.

Additionally, there is a great intro to the most basic literary elements via the movie "The Wizard of Oz" in "Teach Like Your Hair is On Fire" by Rafe Esquith. That book is old enough to find in libraries, and I've used the intro very successfully with a group of 5th through 7th graders.

Not having BTDT - I'll give my 2 cents anyway. If it were me, I'd listen to SWB"s MP3s on Literary analysis. I'd get Figuratively Speaking (low cost). I'd also download Adam Andrews' free MP3s from http://www.centerforlit.com. There is also another one where he analyzes "A Bargain for Francis." I think that one is $4-5. If I felt I needed some more info after those, I'd get the TtC syllabus. I'd start w/ analyzing picture books as Adam ANdrews suggest. He suggests picture books even for high school students. Then you could use what you've learned w/ the books he has chosen to read for school.