Menu

Tumblebook Library

8filltheheart

I was just on our library's website and this is a new resource that our library is offering. I initially thought this would be a resource for younger kids, but it isn't really. (I don't let my younger kids use the computer, so that wouldn't have interested me.

The spelling games would be good for elementary level kids (I didn't go through a lot of the levels, but one that I did had words like discipline)

But the part that interested me the most were the foreign language activities. There are children's books available in several languages (French Spanish Italian Chinese Russian) and some are read alongs. I think this is an excellent supplement for our French studies.

Just thought I would share in case other libraries are offering it as well.

This might be a link that works for anyone: http://www.tumblebooks.com/library/asp/home_tumblebooks.asp

Our library had this last year, but by the time I even knew about it the subscription was just about over. I never even got to use the site. :sad: It looks really neat and I wish they'd get it again.....but it looks like the subscription is $399. Ouch! :tongue_smilie:

So.....definitely take advantage of this resource while you can.

Our library had this last year, but by the time I even knew about it the subscription was just about over. I never even got to use the site. :sad: It looks really neat and I wish they'd get it again.....but it looks like the subscription is $399. Ouch! :tongue_smilie:

So.....definitely take advantage of this resource while you can.

I just googled to see if I could find other libraries that had it. The St. Charles Library in IL came up as offering it free through their website. I was able to then access it by just clicking on it.

http://www.stcharleslibrary.org/youth_services/tumble.htm

I just showed this to my 6th grader and she is extremely excited about the books in French!

Thanks for the link! My kids are just starting spanish this year and I've been planning on adding picture books with audio cds at some point, but was wondering when to do it. Should I wait until they complete a few years of the language (we are using a very slow moving program) or would it benefit them to just jump in and start listening to these books?

Thanks!

Lisa

Thanks for the link! My kids are just starting spanish this year and I've been planning on adding picture books with audio cds at some point, but was wondering when to do it. Should I wait until they complete a few years of the language (we are using a very slow moving program) or would it benefit them to just jump in and start listening to these books?

Thanks!

Lisa

Jump right in. Start with translations of familiar stories or simple stories that will be easy for them to follow. Listening to a variety of speakers/accents will help train their ears. Listening to Spanish language children's music and watching the Spanish tract of familiar children's DVDs are additional fun ways to enhance learning a foreign language.

Jump right in. Start with translations of familiar stories or simple stories that will be easy for them to follow. Listening to a variety of speakers/accents will help train their ears. Listening to Spanish language children's music and watching the Spanish tract of familiar children's DVDs are additional fun ways to enhance learning a foreign language.

Thanks!

Lisa

Quiver pointed out on the high school board that the link I posted is now requiring library ID #.

If you simply google Tumblebooks (for young kids) or TumbleReadables for novels, you'll find multiple libraries that offer it. I am not going to post any more links b/c I am suspecting that it was hits directly from here that lead to the other one requiring library login.

Our library (I didn't link our own ;)) does not require any login, and I found lots of others that are the same way, though all libraries do not appear to offer the Readables version along with the Tumblebooks.