Menu

Sonlight history?

bbrandonsmom

I'm looking at Sonlight now. Sotw-we just can't get into. Between reading the 2 pages in the chapter, then coloring or map finding-it's too much moving around for ds. We read a lot though, and learn a lot through books, and I see that Sonlight is mostly reading, with creating your own projects to do. What I can't find is-

if I check the books from the library-what do I have to purchase for Sonlight k or 1 other than an instructor guide-and can I get that by itself?

Anyone use this for the early years and like it? Thanks.

We like SL for the early years; I stretch each core out and combine it with other things already on my shelf or from the library. Many of the SL titles probably will be available at the library, but not everything. Do you have a catalog? I needed a catalog to help me wrap my head around just what was in a core and what I would need. You can purchase anything in each core (including the IG) individually from SL.

If you are only looking for an IG, try the for sale boards here. Much cheaper than buying brand new.

Guest TheBugsMom
I'm looking at Sonlight now. Sotw-we just can't get into. Between reading the 2 pages in the chapter, then coloring or map finding-it's too much moving around for ds. We read a lot though, and learn a lot through books, and I see that Sonlight is mostly reading, with creating your own projects to do. What I can't find is-

if I check the books from the library-what do I have to purchase for Sonlight k or 1 other than an instructor guide-and can I get that by itself?

Anyone use this for the early years and like it? Thanks.

You can order the IG by itself and this is all you would need if you are able to get the books from the library. You can buy the time line figures to go with the core and the Time line book they offer, but these are optional.

I did note though you mentioned the frustration of reading just a few pages in SOTW. In SL, if you follow the IG, you will be doing just that. A few pages from a few books a day.

I have used Core K but did not use the IG. We did our own activities and used the Create-a-Calendar to lead us in our Geography/cultural studies. My dd did enjoy this core and I would recommend it as a great introduction to different cultures. As for core 1, I will be using the books as a supplement to or World History studys.

My frustration comes from not only keeping moving from one thing to another, but those 2 pages to read are it. I feel like there is no story in it, so then when we read the next chapter to pick up the story next week, ds is a little lost. But if we read a whole story, he retains it and can tell me what it was all about. For us, it seems to be better if we can check out books for the whole week to read, and do coloring pages or projects, then the next week repeat w/ what's next. Maybe we just haven't found our history groove yet? We really don't have to do history except some US history technically, but ds likes to read about all different people so...

I requested the catalog and was going to look more at their page tonight. I saw that we can get the timeline, but didn't see getting the IG alone.

I'm not sure if you would like Sonlight any better. As the pp said, you read a little in a book at a time. In the early years, the readers don't align with the history, so you don't necessarily keep getting more on that story every day. In Core 3 and up, you are reading about the same time in history in readers, read-alouds and history spines. I didn't homeschool K, so I can't speak to those cores, but some people find Sonlight too jumpy, so I worry you will find it frustrating too.

Why don't you read the amount of SOTW that works for you and your ds each day and stop following the AG schedule? Somehow I just see you equal frustrated by the SL schedule, but maybe not. It is easy to purchase the IG and then use the books from the library. I buy the IG used here on the FS board and then buy the spines and any books my library doesn't have. Most of the books I'm able to check out from the library. I am a big library user with a good local system and a great Inter-library loan system too.

Deb, that's what I'm thinking of doing-with the Ig. I spent last night looking at Sonlight and Winterlight, then TOG, then back to Sotw. I thought I could read ahead, check out all the books needed for say all Egypt coverage and read them. Then mix in the projects? Following the IG is just not working, and I'm starting to think at this age, any history IG isn't going to work. I was thinking to ease into it, where by spring, ds might be a little better w/ the IG approach? I just like having things planned out for me, but I guess that's the benefit of h/s-I can adjust to meet our needs.

For SL, I really like they are so lit based, but was reading some of the books per level may be too advanced emotional/lesson wise, so I'm going to take a look at them first.

If you don't like jumping you may not like SL without changing it up a little.

Some weeks we read across and not the 'daily'. We too hate stopping in the middle of a good thought and will read that week assignment and do another book the next day.

Some books are longer and harder for the kids to focus long time on, so those we gladly read just that day's assignment.

We are loving SL K right now. I haven't used Core 1 yet, but I used Core 2 last year, and we really liked it. P4/5 is the only level I've heard of that jumps around too much (the IG for that level drove me batty).

The IG for SL will usually have you reading only a chapter (or half a chapter for really long chapters) at a time. When we are really interested in a book, I have decided to just keep reading. My dc have managed to get me reading 3 chapters a night for their read-alouds right now. Since we are doing 2 cores, I can stay sort of close to the schedule by only reading one book at a time and alternating whose read-aloud we read through.

SL K doesn't really have a fully developed history program--it's just an introduction to different cultures throughout history. The books that you need long term (and should buy) are the Usborne Internet Linked Children's Encyclopedia, I Heard the Good News Today, Living Long Ago, and maybe Wild Places (you might be able to get away with checking this one out and renewing it a few times). Also, the Llama Who Had No Pajama and the nursery rhyme book are scheduled to be read slowly over the whole year.

For Core 1, you would need at least Usborne World History, Child's History of the World, and The Usborne Time Traveler--all 3 of these are also used in Core 2. Looking at the descriptions, I would guess that From Abeku to Zapotec, Missionary Stories with the Millers, The World Series, and Favorite Poems from Childhood are also scheduled out over a long enough time period to make them worth buying.

Edited by bonniebeth4

If you can modify the IG to suit you and not be bound to the schedule, I think you'll love SL. Although we have stuck pretty close to the schedule this year, it is actually the first time. Last year I used the schedule for the spine and but the kids read one book at a time in order - but not following the daily schedule. We all really liked it.

I love the books in SL. I've looked at TOG and when the kids were younger WP. We aren't crafty, activity based learners though. We all like just reading. TOG is too complicated for me. I keep thinking I'll switch, but I think I'll probably just come up with my own program when I run out of SL cores that I want to do.

My family loves time sent reading together silently and out loud. We love telling each other about the books we read. While the kids don't naturally look for literary elements, we discuss them and they find them. I am very happy with the love of reading and lit based learning we have gotten from SL.

I'd encourage cultural studies for your little guy. I think it will also appease your dh. You'll work through continents and general geography (which is appropriate for your little guy). You'll also touch on culture, including religious studies, food, etc. It's more unit study style, but it opens the door to reading, reading, reading and gives him a year to mature and be ready for SOTW or whatever else you choose.

I think My Father's World K is great for this. Galloping the Globe works well, and I imagine you could get more ideas from the Hive. Our library system is LOADED with both reading material and activity books that you could use to do your own thing.

I'd encourage you to slow down. B is young....basics are best and the rest is gravy...you cold even go super simple and simply read, read, read, about whatever you want (cultures is still a great plan). Here's a free lesson plan:

Planning: Choose books about a country, include activity books. You might even coordinate w/ your ES animal studies, as far as continents. Use tracing paper to make the maps from the books you choose, or borrow a children's Atlas from your friend, Tina...she has several :)

• Monday: Read and find on a map.
  • Tues.: Read and find on map, do "picture matching vocabulary" by printing pictures and matching words. This is very gamelike for little ones.
  • Wed. Read, narrate, begin activity.
  • Thurs. Finish activity
  • Fri. "Review" by presenting what he know to Dad. (accomplishing another goal of Dad seeing how great you're both doing).

Easy, fun, not too much time, and appropriate for his young age.

I forgot about Five in a Row. That's actually one I wanted to do from the beginning-I think I should have trusted my gut. We've checked out some of the books, and both kids like them.

GG does look fun :)

One other problem I'm having w/ Sotw are the books. Either our library system doesn't have them, or I have to wait forever for them. At least I can get the FiaR.

Still going to look at SL for comparison to Sotw for next year. Both for book availability and how in depth they are.

Tina-I know-I keep forgetting that technically we are K grade, and by the standards, I don't need to cover any of this, except some US stuff. Ds is loving ES with a capital L :) It's interesting you mention correlating both ES and geo study. I was wanting to find some maps for him to cut out, color and paste the animals on, to where they live. We are using a Planet Earth book to place the animals in the appropriate habitat, but I thought it would be nice to place them on a map as well.

• 2 weeks later...
My frustration comes from not only keeping moving from one thing to another, but those 2 pages to read are it. I feel like there is no story in it, so then when we read the next chapter to pick up the story next week, ds is a little lost. But if we read a whole story, he retains it and can tell me what it was all about. For us, it seems to be better if we can check out books for the whole week to read, and do coloring pages or projects, then the next week repeat w/ what's next. Maybe we just haven't found our history groove yet? We really don't have to do history except some US history technically, but ds likes to read about all different people so...

I requested the catalog and was going to look more at their page tonight. I saw that we can get the timeline, but didn't see getting the IG alone.

Go to http://www.sonlight.com/ig.html

Click on the IG level you want from the left side of the screen

The IG will come up with a green button "Add package".

Don't click that but click on the item itself

The item comes up as just the IG to be added to the cart.

HTH.