Menu

Tiger Schulman's martial arts for child?

DebonLI

My daughter is 10, has language delays, auditory processing disorder. We're going to a neurodevelopmentalist and working on mixed dominance, mental processing. I'm thinking a sport would be a good idea. Has anyone tried martial arts for a child with these issues? Was it beneficial? I would appreciate any input. Thanks! Debbie

I'm not familiar with Tiger Schulman, but martial arts has been very good for my DS14, who struggled with hearing loss, language delays, and vision and coordination issues. We started him young (at 6yo) and he earned his black belt at 13yo. It has been especially good for my DS in that he could proceed at his own pace, but always get a good physical workout.

Find a studio that will let you do a couple of trial lessons (most will) and see how your child does.

DS12 (SPD, ADD, dyslexia, anxiety) takes Tae Kwon Do and it's been fantastic for him. He goes 3-4 nights/wk and gets an incredible workout, which helps him sleep better, plus he's more focused, more confident, and less fidgety. He has a really great teacher who emphasizes focus & attention, self-control, doing your best, etc. He expects a lot of the kids but is also really supportive and encouraging. I only wish we'd started several years earlier!

Jackie