Menu

If I say what I'm looking for, can you name a writing curric that can do it for dd10?

HappyGrace

She is very bright, 5th grade, has done three years of IEW, but strictly rewriting from KWOs with adding dress-ups, etc. Before that it was mostly copywork, etc. So she hasn't had much report writing, etc. She does like to write and says she wants to be a writer, so I want to move into structure in a way that won't kill that love. We're just now going through Paragraph Writing Made Easy to try to nail down topic/supporting sentences, and she finished the Remedia Outlining book. She is doing Rod and Staff English 5 and the writing portions in it are too basic. She can also narrate and summarize just fine.

I planned on doing TOG with their writing this year, but I find she is needing more actual instruction and guidance than that offers. I found and have Apologia Jump In and that would actually be about perfect, but it addresses abortion, etc., and I'd like to wait on that til next year.

She does put in the nice dress-ups, etc., that she learned in IEW, but she tends to ramble on and not have much structure to her writing. I'd like to start having her watch for things that I've read about having them look for in their writing, like passive voice, etc., but I don't know how to teach any of that. I have NO idea where to start with helping her address these issues and start some nice report writing, so we really need very specific handholding! I need to know what I am looking for when critiquing her writing too. I was thinking maybe IEW SWI but I really only need the report-writing portions, since the rest is just review. HELP!!! What program am I looking for?

Edited by HappyGrace

Sounds exactly like Lost Tools of Writing. It is written for slightly older but she might really be ready for it. It takes a fair bit of mom involvement and I don't think he has it laid out as smooth as he should but the basic program is incredible. I would sum up a lot of it as 'how to logically write'. There is a lot more to the program than that such as active/passive voice etc. that it sound like you are looking for.l

Thanks you, and that's funny!-I had JUST looked at that the other day but could not make heads or tails of the website, and it looked pretty complicated to figure out the program. I will try to read old threads on it. Is it as complicated as it looks?

In the meantime, any other suggestions?

ETA: I just went back to the website and immediately remembered-----I saw "SIX CDs explaining the program" and gave up on it! I hate all those CDs-we did that w/ IEW and I watch CDs every week for how to teach PR-isn't there something that's laid out for me better? I will try again to look at it but I just don't think I can get past all that!

Edited by HappyGrace

Finish the rest of IEW. If you've only done the first few units, you are missing the heart of the program. You could do units IV and VI (and maybe even VII and VIII) all year with her, focusing more on the decorations and more advanced stylistic techniques, and she will be a fabulous report writer. You could use the topics from TOG for the material, even.

Thank you so much, Angela. They did the first few units of IEW in co-op (although I did watch the DVDs at home too and I was involved enough that I know all of what she did.)

My instinct was to get one of the SWIs so it could teach it directly to her but it looked like mostly review. I found what is in SWI B (http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/SWI-Topics). I'm wondering if enough of the material (volume/time-wise) in B is focused on Unit IV and up to make it worth getting? Maybe I need a S/O thread to ask that.

Edited by HappyGrace

Thank you so much, Angela. They did the first few units of IEW in co-op (although I did watch the DVDs at home too and I was involved enough that I know all of what she did.)

My instinct was to get one of the SWIs so it could teach it directly to her but it looked like mostly review. I found what is in SWI B (http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/SWI-Topics). I'm wondering if enough of the material (volume/time-wise) in B is focused on Unit IV and up to make it worth getting? Maybe I need a S/O thread to ask that.

I don't know if it would be worth it for only part of it. You also wouldn't be able to integrate it with your history. Is there any way you could get the TWSS? It really is the best way to do IEW. The hardest part of the TWSS is having to come up with material for the first three units, but you are past that (though I would still watch the material about those units.) With the TWSS, you will be equipped to teach writing for the next several years. She can even watch it with you. :001_smile:

Of course, she may still need some review of the concepts from the co-op (not all IEW co-op teachers are great, trust me.) So then you could just use the whole SWI for the year.

Wah! I was hoping to not have to do it that way. We have a lot on our plate this year. I did watch the entire TWSS myself, and she also had an excellent co-op teacher. Unfortunately, I really need more handholding this year and more planned out than trying to do it myself from the TWSS. Thanks so much for the suggestion though!

ETA: I might try to watch the latter part of TWSS again to see if there is ANY way of making it work for us, but I'm doubtful!

The CD's just gives Mom and overview of there program. I bought it used and didn't get the CD's and am doing fine. The most confusing part of the program is that I have to use 3 books to prepare - the book that sort of overviews and tells you where each lesson is going, the book with the what to cover and say for the lesson, and then the student book with the worksheets (there aren't copies in the teacher's book so you have to preview them to be ready). Otherwise I like the direction and teaching tremendously! I think my kids like it and are learning a lot.

Tina-I see it says your students were solid with structure before starting. Does WriteShop do any work at all with structure? Because that's what she really needs.

I will look at Write Source but I think I didn't love their younger books-maybe the ones for older are better. I know they have a great reputation!

Nukeswife-have you used the SWICC? Did you like it? I'll do a S/O thread to ask more about that too. Thanks!

ETA: Good grief-the SWICC is out of my price range! Yikes! Too bad. :(

Edited by HappyGrace

Tina-I see it says your students were solid with structure before starting. Does WriteShop do any work at all with structure? Because that's what she really needs.

from the Teacher's Manual directly, which is used for both Volumes I&II.

1. emphasizes clarity, conciseness, colorful vocabulary, and interesting sentence types;

2. focuses on developing a strong paragraph;

3. offered a wide variety of writing activities;

4. helps students know exactly what to look for when refining their own work;

5. helps parents know how to methodically evaluate their children's writing.

"This cyclical method (using WSI&II) of instruction ensures retention of key writing concepts...Lessons may be repeated year after year simply by changing topics and requiring longer compositions. (Suggestions included) Also, teach high schoolers how to write a business letter, a research paper (complete w/ biblio. and footnotes), and longer, more in-depth essays."

When Lil' Mother began writing, she knew what topic and closing sentences were, but admittedly could write them at a very elementary level. Here papers were always based on readings in either science or history, but again, were very elementary in nature. Mostly, she had some confidence that she could write, so when we started WS, she had a rather rude awakening b/c she finally had to apply her grammar skills, writing structure (even at the basic level), and actually grow the skill. We started WS in the middle of her 6th grade year, so she went from very elementary to what I posted on my blog. Really, a looong way from a basic paragraph to where she is now. That development is honestly due to WS. I taught her the very, very basics, but WS has developed her writing far beyond. If your child can write a general and basic topic/closing sentence and a 5 sentence paragraph about anything, she's ready for WS. You can choose the pace that will meet her needs. Keep in mind, WS has lower level writing now and I believe is developing the levels between their newer publications and Volumes I&II. The author's suggest WSI is for "bright 5th and 6th graders or 7th graders and beyond" using the schedule as suited to the students abilities.

If you want to pm a sample of a paragraph she writes now, I can let you know if I think she's ready for WS.

The program offers a 2-year schedule to follow that will provide for very slow and gentle writing. We are taking 2 weeks to complete 1-lesson and it's really easy to get the work done.

I plan to start my next kiddo in her 6th grade year b/c we're finishing up PR with her first. Then we'll spend a year in W.S. before starting Latin Road :) By mid-7th grade, she'll be in Latin and keep moving forward in WS. To follow, we'll use Writing Aids, as a nice follow up since they'll be solid in writing after WS :)

I'm over there looking at the website. Based on what you say, I think she could do it. The five points you listed from the TM seem to be what I am looking for, as long as it does actually develop that structure. Dd sounds like she is at a similar to point to where L'il Mother was when she started, so that was very helpful to know, thank you. I like that it helps with conciseness and uses grammar to help correct sentence structure.

There does seem to be a huge emphasis on descriptive writing rather than report writing. Do you find that to be true? If so, do you at least feel that the writing they are learning is the type that will carry over well to report writing?

Also a quick question-do you use the grammar book they suggest? Do they refer to it in the program? ( Wondering because if so, I'd like to get that too.)

Thanks for your help!

I'm over there looking at the website. Based on what you say, I think she could do it. The five points you listed from the TM seem to be what I am looking for, as long as it does actually develop that structure. Dd sounds like she is at a similar to point to where L'il Mother was when she started, so that was very helpful to know, thank you. I like that it helps with conciseness and uses grammar to help correct sentence structure.

There does seem to be a huge emphasis on descriptive writing rather than report writing. Do you find that to be true? If so, do you at least feel that the writing they are learning is the type that will carry over well to report writing? The first unit is all about descriptive writing as a genre, but they work this by varying sentence structure, verbage, phrases, etc., so it's not all about adjectives (which is where my mind takes the word "descriptive"). It does lend nicely to report writing, as the genre changes in unit 2. I think Lil' Mother's cheetah and biography express that nicely. I have also seen improvement in her summaries, which I require as part of TOG study, and her Famous People descriptions. The crossover I see has been very pleasing.

Also a quick question-do you use the grammar book they suggest? Do they refer to it in the program? ( Wondering because if so, I'd like to get that too.)

Thanks for your help! Welcome!

For grammar, we use the Latin Road to English Grammar daily and also rotate between Daily Grams and Editor-in-Chief (one semester of each), twice weekly just as spiral review. Prior to the Latin Road, she used Rod & Staff through level 6 (which I've now replaced with PR for the younger bunch). Write Shop does give reminders to student and teacher for grammar areas, like commas in a series, noun verb agreement, etc and b/c they're developing sentences using appositives and participles, you get some "advanced" grammar too. I think that after this year, we'll drop the "extras" all together, as none of them need them -- they're pretty solid in that area and I'm a stickler for editing :)