Menu

Do resumes really need to be one page?

It isn't so much that they have to be - it's more that the person reading them probably won't bother looking at the 2nd page unless the first one is really good.

So - try to get of the impressive stuff on the first page :)

If I go with a Functional format, I am can get it all on one page. Then I can highlight all the good stuff, right?

I have to have a couple of different ones, depending on the focus of the job (public or private, industry, etc.)

If it is relevant experience, 2 pages is acceptable. I have worked at 4 job locations in 15 years with promotions at some of them. My resume is 2 pages.

It's a matter of trying to figure out how much detail to include! My experience that is more than 10 years old is pretty unremarkable - bookkeeper, accounting assistant, etc. Pretty basic jobs with pretty basic responsponsibilities. Is it okay to list them, but not list duties/accomplishements for them?

Or should I move my unrelated experience to another section and only provide detail for my accounting experience?

Or skip it all and just do functional?:tongue_smilie:

For my husband .... we used a functional resume and the early jobs got shunted to the 2nd page and were barely mentioned.

I had always heard that any jobs over 10 years are hardly worth mentioning, but my husband, a diesel mechanic, has some pretty neat experience that goes back around 20 years and the middle years are blah.... so a functional resume seemed appropriate. We grouped his work experience based on the class of vehicle he worked on...... Marine/Heavy Equipment/Automotive.

He got the job and is making more than he ever has. :D I guess the resume was a good one.

For my husband .... we used a functional resume and the early jobs got shunted to the 2nd page and were barely mentioned.

I had always heard that any jobs over 10 years are hardly worth mentioning, but my husband, a diesel mechanic, has some pretty neat experience that goes back around 20 years and the middle years are blah.... so a functional resume seemed appropriate. We grouped his work experience based on the class of vehicle he worked on...... Marine/Heavy Equipment/Automotive.

He got the job and is making more than he ever has. :D I guess the resume was a good one.

Wanna write mine?:lol::tongue_smilie:

That's a neat idea, though! My public accounting experience (for an actual CPA firm) was about 10 years ago, so I need to include that, but these other jobs might get bumped to page 2.

No, they do not have to be only one page. In fact, for white collar, professional resumes it is better that they be longer. Three separate headhunters told my dh this three years ago when he was job hunting, and they all re-affirmed his expanded resume this year when dh started job hunting again. In addition, a couple colleagues who reviewed dh's beefed-up resume affirmed this as well.

No, mine cannot be one page because of education and research stuff, which takes up one-two entire page or more, plus work experience.

But it really depends on what kind of job it is and how much relevant work experience you have. You should make it just long enough to get everything in that is important - but don't add things you can tell them later unless you feel you need to convey this message in order to secure the interview.

I've written and read a lot of resumes. If you have a lot of experience, a two-page resume is fine and probably necessary. (The only time I saw one-page resumes were for "kids" just out of school.) Just don't put a bunch of irrelevant information on it. For my older jobs, I put where I worked, a brief (one sentence) description of what I did and the dates. These were on the second page under other relevant experience. I've had a lot of negative reaction toward functional resumes. I've tried them for both my dh and myself. People usually think that you have something to hide.

The can be two pages if it is all important stuff. I am assuming you are putting "References available upon request." instead of listing references in the resume and making older jobs especially summer/college/enter-level jobs down to one-liners.

Also if you have certifications especially if they include a lot of dates or other information that you are including, you may think about putting something about that information is available upon request also.

Thanks, everyone! I won't worry about 2 pages.

As for the functional vs. traditional - I really could go either way. For positions I apply for that are outside my direct experience, I might use a hybrid type. I have plenty of experience, but my more recent experience is mostly freelance and part-time. I have good references to back it up (from previous clients), but I need to get the interview, KWIM?

I am hoping passing the CPA exam will help solidify my experience.