Menu

Lindamood Bell Visualizing and Verbalizing program

cin

Our OT has recommended this program for our DD9. The only place in our area that uses it is NOT on our insurance. I'm wondering, if I buy the book (Amazon $60), would I be able to do it? There's a seminar teaching the program in our neighborhood in November, but it's 2 full days, and $600 (no room and board). Even with the training, it would be cheaper than the professionals.

Our OT has recommended this program for our DD9. The only place in our area that uses it is NOT on our insurance. I'm wondering, if I buy the book (Amazon $60), would I be able to do it? There's a seminar teaching the program in our neighborhood in November, but it's 2 full days, and $600 (no room and board). Even with the training, it would be cheaper than the professionals.

Here is another place that carries the VV products and allows you to buy pieces.

I am reading the manual now and have just finished the why this works section, but (of course) haven't started the practical implementing section.

I am using the sister program, Seeing Stars that develops the ability to see words in the mind for those who don't naturally and there was no problem reading the manual and implementing it with our current spelling program.

In the family of Lindamood-Bell products I have also used LiPS and found. Point being they are fairly user friendly and easy to implement. Generally they have a scripted text that shows you how to implement it, but then it is up to you to decide the pace, bring in review and sometimes apply the scripting to different sets of material.

Heather

Heather, thanks for your feedback. Did you buy the kit or just the book? Do you think all the things in the kit are needed? It is $400 :svengo:.

I'm thinking about buy the manual and then buying bits and pieces from there. As Needed.

I only have the manual for VV, but I haven't read far enough into it to know for sure that I can make it work with only that. Though another mom has the manual and some of the workbooks and that worked for her. Hopefully she will pop in and let you know how it is going for her.

Heather

I have the manual and one of the V/V Stories books - it has 9 levels, 12 stories per level (http://www.ganderpublishing.com/Visualizing-Verbalizing/Workbooks/VV-Stories.html).

My DS has improved a lot, he actually enjoys stories now. His narrations are better, but some of that is his in-attention of late... Anyway, I think it is possible to do the program depending on your child. At 7, my DS didn't have a lot of negatives to overcome, and he was willing to work with me.

I plan to buy Vanilla Vocabulary for next term, when we drop V/V (we are working towards the single paragraph level now). I wish I could buy all her books. Maybe it's time to call the library and get an inter-library loan.

HTH!

Amy

I don't believe you need the whole kit.

I found the manual on E-bay.

The pictures can be copied from the manual and colored before using.

If you have anyone that can help you to color the pictures.You can photocopy the word cards that are included in the manual.

You can purchase the Visualizing and Verbalizing Workbooks to help you with the sentence, whole paragraph, etc.

Yes, the vanilla vocabulary looks good. I have not started using it.

This would be better after having a good grasp on visualizing and verbalizing.

In conclusion, I got the manual discounted on E-bay, made the things I need, purchased visualizing and verbalizing workbooks set and the vanilla vocabulary from ganderpublishing.

Hope that helps.

Also wondering if anybody knows, is Vanilla VOcabulary any good?

I bought a used copy of Vanilla Vocabulary, as well as a used older edition of Visualizing and Verbalizing.

Vanilla Vocabulary goes through common words in alphabetical order, giving their meaning and using them in a few sentences and providing the child a place to use the word in a sentance of his own. We did a significant portion of this outloud. It was illuminating for me, (and it taught my children something too.) My son who struggles with dyslexia didn't really understand some of the basic words that I had assumed he knew. If the o.t. recommended Visualizing and Verbalizing because she thinks your son misses the "big picture" then making sure he understands the meaning of common words seems worthwhile.

As far at doing Visualizing and Verbalizing at home with the manual, I believe it's do-able. The old manual I have tells of how to do the program before all their other materials and kits were available. You also might find it helpful and informative to watch this presentation by Nanci Bell, the woman who wrote the V/V program http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw65NKe0VmY&NR=1

There's another program very similar to V/V but that offers more scripting (for a lot less money that the v/v kit or LMB training.) If you feel uncomfortable trying v/v from just the manual, it might be a great alternative. It's based off similar research as v/v and works with the same concept, taking similar steps to help a child form mental pictures of what they read. That program is called IdeaChain. http://www.mindprime.com/

Edited by merry gardens