Menu

I have a math question....is this is right forum?

My 2 daughters (TT7 and TT Pre-algrbra) are beginning to HATE math and it's largely because of long division! They are tired of doing endless math problems that anyone in their right mind would do with a calculator in real life!:D

So...when do you allow your children to use calculators?

Do they understand it? Can they consistently do it correctly? If so, I wouldn't expect them to continue to do more problems. They should do a few every now and then for review, so they don't forget how.

I don't allow calculators until Algebra 2.

Edited by Perry

We do not allow calculators unless the directions call for their use (which is rare). We use Singapore and TT, by the way. If your daughters are getting the answers correct, then maybe you could allow them to do less problems, or skip a lesson or two ahead? The worse thing IMHO you could do is allow them to start relying on the calculator.

When my son started complaining about long division, I added more division to his day. In his case, I realized that while he know HOW to do it, he was having to work pretty hard to do it, and would make some careless mistakes.

I got a workbook (ours is Master Long Division Practice Workbook) and have him do a daily 5 minute division drill. The early problems are easy and divide cleanly, then gradually the difficulty ramps up.

Surprisingly, he doesn't seem to mind doing the drill. And it has really helped his proficiency. He argues much less about doing the long division and he does it better. Your mileage may vary, of course!

Oh, I edited to add that we also only allow calculators when the program calls for them. We're using Lial's Basic College Math.

Would you share the publisher, ISBN, or link to this please:)?

I got it from Amazon. If you search for the title it comes right up, but in case there is any question the author is Chris McMullen, PhD, and the ISBN is listed this way:

ISBN-10: 1448614252

ISBN-13: 978-1448614257

I'd link to it if I didn't have to stop and figure out how first. I'll try to figure that out later.

I got it from Amazon. If you search for the title it comes right up, but in case there is any question the author is Chris McMullen, PhD, and the ISBN is listed this way:

ISBN-10: 1448614252

ISBN-13: 978-1448614257

I'd link to it if I didn't have to stop and figure out how first. I'll try to figure that out later.

Thank you very much:001_smile:.