Menu

Raised donut recipe?

My neighbor gave me a fryer. I tried to turn it down since we don't often eat fried food but she insisted we'd use it sooner or later. And we did! It came in handy when my friend wanted to fry a batch of fritters last weekend.

I think I want to make donuts and give a plate to my neighbor to thank her. I'd love a tried and true recipe, though, since I've never made them.

The best recipe I have used has been from King Arthur flour. Go to their recipes online and search for donuts.....

Dd just reminded me!!!! The last time I made donuts, I used Alton Brown's recipe. Oh my, they were wonderful!!!!! I did not use the fryer, but used my heavy pot on the stove and flipped them. His chocolate glaze recipe is really, really good. Hummmmmm time to make the donuts!!!!

Edited by HollyDay
forgot something

These aren't raised but they sure are good:

Pumpkin Doughnut Drops

Cream together in a large bowl:

2 tablespoons shortening (I use oil)

1 ¼ cup sugar

Add in:

2 eggs

1 cup canned pumpkin

1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix in a medium bowl:

3 cup flour

1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder

3 teaspoon baking powder

¾ teaspoon cinnamon

½ teaspoon ginger

¼ teaspoon nutmeg

¼ teaspoon salt

Add flour mixture to the liquids alternately with

½ cup ginger ale or 7-Up

Mix well. Pour oil to a depth of about 3 inches and heat to about 375 degrees. Scoop about 1 tablespoon of dough for each ball. Push off carefully into hot oil. Drop in 1 ball and fry about 2 minutes, turning as needed to brown evenly. Test and see if it’s cooked throughout and adjust cooking times as needed, cooking about 4-5 balls at a time. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on a plate with napkins. Serve plain or with a coating of cinnamon-sugar. Makes 4 ½ dozen.

So, my daughters made the *yummiest* donuts last weekend. They said they were quick and easy, too. The recipe? Canned buttermilk biscuits cut in half, shaped like a donut and fried, then rolled in cinnamon sugar when they came out.

How easy is THAT? :D