Menu

FLL - will it pick up speed?

Spryte

I'm sure I've seen this discussed here, but can't find that thread right now.

Does FLL gather speed quickly? I am hoping to hear that we will start leaping forward, rather than continuing at the same pace.

We started a few weeks ago, and my 6 year old son is, quite simply, bored. We are doing 1st grade, but I must clarify that a lot of our K work was 1st grade level as well, although I tried to save a lot for this year, and focus on play in K. I wanted his fine motor skills to catch up with him.

What we love about FLL - it is short and sweet. We do it while the kiddo is active, so it is compatible with his incurable case of the wigglies. It is not heavy on the handwriting, which is improving, but not his favorite activity.

I just worry that the pace is too slow for him. He memorized the poem on the first day it was introduced, and the same goes for definitions of nouns, etc. It doesn't seem to be challenging him at all, but maybe it's too early in the game to make that call.

Would it be best for me to combine lessons, skip lessons? Or simply plug through and have him do one lesson per day?

Any advice from the veterans would be appreciated!

Definitely don't hesitate to combine lessons or skip excessive review (some amount of review is vital -- but many kids don't need as much as FLL contains). You may find that at some point you want to slow down. Or you may find that you finish all of FLL1/2 in less than a school year and that is *okay*. I think the original FLL is very worthwhile and covers a fantastic amount of material in very small chunks. But some kids don't need 1-2 years to cover it. There's nothing wrong with finishing early, if your ds grasps and retains the material.

Yes. Those noun lessons seem to go on forever. Look at the TOG. Figure out which lessons seem to be redundant. Skip those lessons, or combine them.

I also ignore the script for things like "I will read this 3 times, then we will say it together 3 times, then you will repeat it 3 times." Instead, I just read it once, then ask ds to repeat it back to me.