Menu

Let's revisit the washing machine problem

My washer is absolutely on its last leg. But, what to replace it with??

The reviews for the Cabrio are terrible!!! I do not want to spend $800+ on a washer that has such a short life span and a tone of problems (already did that with my Kenmore).

I want as big a machine as possible (we have king size bedding).

I CANNOT have a mold problem like I did with my Maytag Neptune. Think ending up in emergency room with severe allergy problems...... So, I am a bit concerned about another front load.

LG has great reviews on epinions, but our LG refrigerator is a piece of junk also about to die. Not sure I want to trust them with a washer.

So, please pass on some brands/models!!!!????

I've had a Cabrio since last spring. I didn't think I wanted this machine at all. We'd had mold issues on our front loader, Maytag bought it back...severe allergy issues, so I can understand you not wanting a front loader. I'll NEVER have another in our house (3 developed asthma while we had it).

I like the Cabrio. Was surprised how well it cleans, even lambing yuck out of barn towels this winter. We did buy the warranty on the electronics, but if we don't use it, the store will give us 50% of our money back in 3 years. The reviews I read weren't great, but with 8 in the family, we needed large capacity & we've been pleased.

I have the duet also. I've had it 3 years. No mold and I DO NOT use bleach because of our septic, but I do use vinegar on occasion. I have washed our washable down King Size comforter in it, no problems. One time was after it got spewed on by a projectile vomiting infant...it all came out, and would have smelled if it hadn't, so I would say it was washed well enough!

Oh, I forgot, I have had one mold problem...it was when a baby sock got under the seal. The sock molded, but now I wash my kids socks in laundry mesh bags and no more problems!:lol:

I'm not altogether sure about this, but I think the bad Cabrio reviews are for the older models. I think they've improved over the years. I own one of the older models so I don't recommend them, but ds23 works at an appliance outlet and he says the Cabrios they sell now get good reviews.

If I were buying a new machine, I would get the least expensive, no bells and no whistles, largest capacity machine I could find. I'm fed up with all the electronics and extras that just make the machine more expensive and more difficult for the average guy to repair. Oh, and I'd check Craigslist first before I bought anything new.

Hi Kathleen! A "no bells and whistles" is exactly what I want. But, I can't find it anywhere. I do want something large since I have a king bed. But, even the "old dial" washers are electronic now. It is those pesty electronics that are the problem. I really do miss my original Kenmore!! We gave it to our pastor's wife (at the time) when we did a cross country move. Her gain, my loss because I've never had another I liked as well......

I also own a Cabrio (2 years old) and I love it, even though yesterday it showed the dreaded F1 error code. I just pressed cancel twice and the load went through. It hasn't happened again, but we did purchase the extended warranty so I also called the company and scheduled an appointment. They are coming to repair it Wednesday. I would be upset if the machine didn't work at all, but for now it's fine.

Other than that, I love that machine!

I've owned my Kenmore front loaders for 9 years without issue. Okay, I had to replace a gasket and a pump... but that's nothing compared to the cost of a new washer.

We've never had mold. There is build-up, but we clean it. And, we leave the thing open between loads to remain dry.

I will be buying another one, when the day comes!

Another praise for the Whirlpool Duet! My parents have one too thats been going strong for as many years plus. We've had ours for about 10 years without any major problems. No problems with mold. I don't use bleach either. We use Meleleuca products and get very dirty greasy clothes (dh tire shop) ( baby spits up) clean!

Our problems were both our fault. We got a ball point pen stuck inside and it rubbed when it spun. One of dhs employees loved mechenical work and took it apart to get it out.

I washed a rag with bits of glass from a broken dish and ruined the pump. No biggy, repairman came in and replaced it for very reasonabl;e price.