Menu

Would this be totally crazy?

Would you do this?

I have two kids with birthdays in October. Oldest (dd) is turning 16, wants to have a movie marathon sleepover with about 15 friends. Youngest (ds) is turning 10 and also wants to have a sleepover. I can't do any parties before their birthdays as all weekends between now and then are booked. I can't do dd's party on her birthday, even though it is on a Friday, b/c middle child has an 8 am soccer game! Then we run into church functions and Halloween after both birthdays.

I can either push one party out to November, which ds is ok with. Or I can do them back to back on the same weekend - have 16 giggling girls up all night watching movies on Friday night and then have up to 5 or 6 boys trying to stay up until 11 on Saturday night. (I have lights out until about age 12 or 13.) DH would be fine with either one as I'm the one who stays up with the kids. I would go to bed on the girls. Their rule is that as long as I can sleep, they can stay up. All kids involved are good kids. They listen when given a directive. One is a negotiator that drives me nuts. (Maybe he'll make a good lawyer some day?)

Would that be totally crazy? Would you do it?

I would do it. I would require the 10yo to give me some real help on Saturday afternoon, getting ready for his party. I would also ask the 16yo to take care of Sunday dinner so I could plan for a nice rest after church!

This. I don't see why you couldn't do them back to back. Have the 10yo help clean up after the 16yo party and the 16yo clean up after the 10yo party. I think you'll be fine. IMO, it would be much less stressful to do them both the same weekend than to have to do it on separate weekends. Make them simple. Movies, popcorn, drinks, pizza and cake.

Make them simple. Movies, popcorn, drinks, pizza and cake.

This is every sleepover type at our house! :tongue_smilie: I don't do complicated. For one or both parties, there may even be an ordered ice cram cake. OR my 13 yo may be making brownies for her sister, I can't remember what was decided.

My only concern with the Saturday party is that it is on a Saturday night. We fully expect our son to be at church Sunday morning and would either decline or come pick him up early the next morning for services.If you have any other families with the same attitude invited, your son may not have as many friends attending.

My only concern with the Saturday party is that it is on a Saturday night. We fully expect our son to be at church Sunday morning and would either decline or come pick him up early the next morning for services.If you have any other families with the same attitude invited, your son may not have as many friends attending.

I understand! At least 2 of his friends go to our church anyway. When we do invites, I'll say what time to pick them up Sunday morning before we need to leave or we'll give them lunch after church and we'll be home by xx time. We did this last year and it worked out great.

When we've done it with dd's friends, they all go to church with us. Last year with ds's friends, 2 got picked up Sunday morning.