Menu

Song School Latin q's

Celia

One thing you might want to think about is... what's next after SSL?

I decided to wait until 2nd grade or so to do SSL because there isn't much after that until 3rd grade. And languages are one of those things you need to use regularly in order to keep it, so doing a year of Latin, followed by a year or two break wasn't ideal for us.

Just my 2 cents, since you asked about waiting. :D

We spend around 20 minutes a day doing SSL. My son started last year (in first grade) and is finishing up his last few lessons now. I think it is worth starting in first grade as the program seems just right for that age. SSL engaged my son and now he loves Latin and wants to continue learning it. We are following it with Minimus for 2nd grade, and then we will start Latin for Children in 3rd.

We just started and are doing 20 minutes a week, but having a blast reviewing in between! It is perfect for these young ages.

After we finish this, we'll move to Lively Latin or Minimus, I think she will be able to handle it, she loves learning grammar/LA.

Teacher's Edition isn't necessary, I bought it and regretted it.

I'm doing SSL with my 2nd and Ker. 2nd grader has already done Prima latina, orally last year.

Basically we listen to the songs 1-2 x a day, takes just a few minutes. I introduce the words on Monday, have kids repeat back to me a few times. Read the lesson..anothe rcouple minutes or so. Then older child does written work...usually takes less than 10 mins. He does a page a day until the lesson is over, we just review each day, and friday I "quiz" them to make sure they know all the words/phrases.

We do not have the TM and I haven't missed it at all.

We are really enjoying it so far.

I didn't use the TM when I did it with my 1st grader last year, and I never missed it. We listened to the songs, up to where we were studying, about once a week, and we did a page or two per week as well. I took the entire year to get through it. This year we're using Minimus, and the boy is really liking it and is recognizing some words from SSL (cibus, mater, pater are the examples that come to mind right away).

We are doing SSL with dd (2nd grade) this year. We spend about 10 min. maximum a day going over the lesson and singing the songs. It is a perfect fit for us this year and dd is loving it. She is even trying to teach freinds the words/phrases. Next year we are planning on using Latin for Children.

We did SSL listening to the CD daily, mostly in the car, and did the written work about 2x a week.

You don't need the teacher's manual, but if you want it, PM me, and I'll send mine to you. I think I looked at it once.

Thanks for the very kind offer, but if it's not really needed, I'd rather not have money wasted on shipping :)