Menu

Simplifying: Should I just try SWO?

Annabel Lee

I just re-read the Grammar stage Lang. Arts section in TWTM last night... I've been wanting to streamline & simplify.

I've got various methods of phonics going on w/ both of my boys and it eats up WAY too much time. They're doing a phonics instruction course w/ workbooks where they mark up words & practice applying spelling rules to add affixes; AAS; and some grade-level spelling words from Abeka so they are learning to spell harder words than their current levels of AAS. I love AAS, but I can't wait through 5-6 levels to introduce the rules of how to spell phonograms/affixes to them, hence the phonics course.

Should I back up and try a simpler, easier method before assuming my kids need all this other stuff? I never gave SWO a fair try (bought it, looked it over, sold it). Some of the reviews here about kids not retaining anything after years of SWO worry me, but if we kept a spelling notebook as described in WTM where they copy rules and apply them to their list of "trouble words", do you think it could work out alright?

I'm playing w/ the idea of trying it for a semester - what do you think?

TIA for your thoughts!

We've been using SWO for almost a year now after struggling to find the perfect spelling/phonics program. We also keep a spelling notebook as suggested in the WTM. I'm pleased with the progress so far. It's been simple and painless, plus it only takes us 5 min a day.

I just don't see SWO teaching the phonics rules, but we only did Level A. Perhaps the phonics rules were the basis for making the lists, but we never really learned the rules using SWO. We switched to SWR and both dd and I are much happier with it. Dd actually asks if we can do more spelling now, even though it seems more difficult (to me).

I just don't see SWO teaching the phonics rules, but we only did Level A. Perhaps the phonics rules were the basis for making the lists, but we never really learned the rules using SWO. We switched to SWR and both dd and I are much happier with it. Dd actually asks if we can do more spelling now, even though it seems more difficult (to me).

Your concerns echo mine, except I had levels A and C for a brief moment in time, and there were rules written at the top of the page in the C book. It was as you described though, they were simply the logic behind why that particular group of words was on the list together - no marking anything, no practicing phonics work on the words.

I really hate making these kinds of decisions! It's nice to hear that SWO *does* work well for some people, too. It obviously worked well enough for SWB for her to recommend it in her book.

How far along are you in AAS? Adding suffixes is covered in level 3, and prefixes in level 4. I'd just zip along until you hit the point where it's work for them. I will say that if that is before level 3 you shouldn't be having them learn grade level words anyway.

My gut would be to drop the phonics workbook and the Abeka. I have no idea if SWO would work for you or not, but if AAS clicks for you I'd suggest just going with that.

I will say, though, that we do copywork and dictation with words we haven't covered in AAS, so that may be filling a gap for us that I don't realize.

Julie D.

No but it is painless practice. We did pre-SWR (cards and games) for K5, and did it extensively in 1 and 2, but by then he knew those cards in and out, and I found that it was not my idea of spelling...of reading and phonics, yes, but not spelling.

SWO gives some lighthearted practice, rather than me just dictating a list of related words for repetition. (Or in the case of SWR, unrelated words.) Kiddo is enjoying it, he is being a bit more independent, and when he is ready for the "big kid" lists (i.e. he has interest in those long words) I think I'll re-cover SWR.

I didn't get the impression WTM advised SWO for phonics. Just spelling.

You're right, but I believe that WTM recommends that you start spelling after phonics instruction. So it's not really necessary to have lists to teach the phonics rules since you've already taught them. We do continue to do spelling analysis (aka-marking up words) as part of our writing program (Classical Writing).

Well that's just it; my 9yo didn't have any sort of real phonics instruction. He did Abeka k4 & k5, and he had a handful of exposures to Abeka phonics charts in 1st & 2nd. Nothing like what the pre-SWR you did sounds like, Kalanamak. For the longest time, I thought the only phonics WTM suggested was OPG or something like it for learning to read - when we started WTM he already knew how to read. Now that I'm on my 3rd year of hsing after reading WTM (there were some years before it), I just now found where it says to do MPC Plaid Phonics or ETC workbooks w/ a younger one for putting phonics rules to practice. I thought those were in lieu of OPG as alternatives for phonetic reading practice, and didn't bother w/ it since he knew how to read well.

I've thought of ditching everything else but AAS. It's not that my older one hasn't had any spelling; just lists though - I had him doing the Abeka spelling book in 1st & 2nd but I didn't realize that in order to get all the rules & phonics practice we were supposed to use their WHOLE LA curric. I realized that around Christmas time when he was in 2nd. That was my 1st year homeschooling a la WTM. He was doing FLL + WWE at the time as well.

I just looked through the Abeka books (only the workbooks, not the full LA curric.) and our phonics instruction course; I see where I can pare things down but I also see things that AAS doesn't cover (things that may be in FLL - I'll have to get them out side by side & see). I think after my experience w/ my 1st son, not realizing I was missing so much, I have a worry of missing things again and overcompensate.

I think I'll just go forward, making AAS our priority. I have through level 5 on the shelf. If we get to nothing else for spelling, fine, as long as we do that. I'm not comfortable dropping some of the "word-work" phonics exercises in the other books, but after looking last night I see alot I can drop - which will help. My "plan" (HA! whenever I plan, the plans change) is to finish out AAS and move on to Megawords. I recently thought of just plopping my 9yo into Megawords so I bought it. After looking through level 1 I think he might do well to finish AAS this year and then start MW in 5th.

Sorry for thinking out loud so much here - it's all such a jumble in my mind. I know I'll have to whittle things down further if we're to survive the school year. Your suggestions and shared experiences have been helpful; thanks!

Edited by Annabel Lee