Menu

What do your first graders read "for fun"?

Mommy22alyns

I tend to overthink things just a little... :001_smile:

So following WTM, we'll be doing history-linked read alongs and some children's literature for the narration pages. Basically things that she can comprehend, but isn't ready to read independently yet. But what do they read in their fun time - does it matter if she's reading Fancy Nancy?

She was way into fairies for a while so she read through all the Disney Fairy books and the Flower Fairy chapter books... Now she's into more Mary and Laura pioneer stuff, but we've read those aloud, so she's reading the Fairchild Family series (Happy Little Family, Schoolhouse in the Woods)... I think just let them run with their interests. It should be fun, of course. Fancy Nancy is definitely fun! I would only be worried if their interests lied in things I was more concerned about...

My 1st grade DS is now into the magic tree house books, he has read things like Henry & Mudge and Nate the Great, or sometimes I would just tell him to pick a certain level on those leveled easy readers at the library (there are Arthur books like that). He started off in level 2 this year and now reads a 3 or 4. I try and make him get a least one book that is a slight challenge. But for my son it is more about building attention skills. Or in other words in has no patience to read a very long book! Also at the library I will let him and my daughter (age 8) pick out whatever they want (within reason) and then if I don't think they picked anything that is at least at their level I go pick something else for them too! And this has really helped my 3rd grader pick up on her reading. She was still reading the books my first grader was earlier this year and because I got certain books for her she is reading books that are at a 5th or 6th grade level! Of course that is probably more than you wanted to know :D!

~Erica

My beginning readers don't have a clue what they'd like to read. So, I try to give them books to read that I know they can handle, will enjoy, and that I also approve of.

We've enjoyed Cynthia Rylant the best for early readers. Mr. Putter and Tabby and Poppleton have been favorites with all my dc at that age. Also, "I Can Read" has some books based on historical persons or events. The Golly Sisters Go West, George the Drummer Boy, The Drinking Gourd, etc. Rainbow Resource has a list of them in their catalog. Look in the index under "I can read historical fiction".

books. So I allow some of his choices, and I suggest frequently. I am lucky that he reads well and loves to, so he rarely declines a suggestion. Right now, he is working on The Wishing Chair by Enid Blyton. He likes magazines, have you considered them? He also loves picture books, so I get a large quantity of books from "Z8"-fairy tales and folk tales form the library each week.