Menu

Read-alouds for dads

poodlemama

Hi Ladies,

I've managed to pass bed-time chapter books off to hubby (so I can do picture books with the 3 year old) The problem is dad is picky and has to enjoy the book himself. So... does any one have any suggestions for good read-alouds for my 6 and 9 year olds and hubby? Family interests:

Airplanes

Adventure

Animals (but need adventure)

Books that have been a hit with all three:

Born to Fly

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Fly-Michael-Ferrari/dp/0385737157/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283727125&sr=8-1

Hard, Cold

http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Gold-Colorado-Rush-Witness/dp/1423105206/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283727189&sr=1-1'>http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Gold-Colorado-Rush-Witness/dp/1423105206/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283727189&sr=1-1'>http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Gold-Colorado-Rush-Witness/dp/1423105206/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283727189&sr=1-1'>http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Gold-Colorado-Rush-Witness/dp/1423105206/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283727189&sr=1-1

21 balloons

http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Gold-Colorado-Rush-Witness/dp/1423105206/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283727189&sr=1-1

Flops:

The Moffets (kids loved it hubby did not)

5 little peppers (no one liked it)

swiss family robbinson (hubby thought it was slow)

Thanks,

Lindsey

Here are some adventure-based titles for you:

FANTASY ADVENTURE

- Chronicles of Narnia (Lewis)

- Peter and the Starcatchers (and sequels) (Barry)

- The Secret of Platform 13 (Ibbotson)

- The Sea of Trolls (Farmer)

- Dragon Rider (and sequels (Funke)

- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Fleming) -- by the same author as James Bond 007 stories!

- The Never Ending Story (Ende)

- The Hobbit (Tolkien)

- The Mysterious Benedict Society (and sequels) (Stewart)

SCI-FI ADVENTURE

- City of Ember; People of Sparks, Diamond of Darkhold (du Prau)

- The Green Book (Walsh)

- The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet (and sequels) (Cameron) -- I LOVED these when I was a kid, and our DSs loved them, too; something magical about a spaceship, planet and little people all the size of you (kid-sized)!

FUN TALL TALE

- The Whipping Boy (Fleischman) -- hilarious favorite of DSs!

- McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm (Fleischman)

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman) -- one of my DH's all-time favorites to read to DC

- Holes (Sachar)

- Motel Of The Mysteries (Macaulay) -- very funny "interpretation" of an abandoned motel by an archeologist, complete with "sketches of how items were probably used"

REAL LIFE ADVENTURE

- Robert Fulton, Boy Craftsman (Henry) -- inventor of steam engine as a boy, and what he invented as a boy

- The Great Brain (and sequels) (Fitzgerald) -- turn of century rural town boy hijinx

- The Cay (Taylor) -- shipwrecked adventure

- Little Britches (Moody) -- adventures of a city family that moves to a ranch

- Call it Courage (Sperry) -- South Pacific boy and his ocean adventures

- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken) -- Dickens-like rags-to-riches story with an evil governness

MYSTERY ADVENTURE

- Detectives in Togas; Mystery of the Roman Ransom (Winterfeld) -- Ancient Rome

- Hardy Boys mystery series (Dixon)

- Samurai mystery series (Hoobler) -- 1700s Japanese boy helps samurai/judge "Sherlock Holmes"

- Case of the Baker Street Irregulars (Newman) -- 1890s boy helps Sherlock Holmes

- The Houdini Box (Selznick)

HISTORICAL FICTION ADVENTURE

- The Kite Fighters (Park) -- 1400s Korea

- Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow (French) -- Viking

- Adam of the Road (Gray) -- Medieval England

- The Door in the Wall (de Angeli) -- Medieval England

- The Sign of the Beaver (Speare) -- Colonial US/Native American -- a favorite of our DSs

- Johnny Tremain (Forbes) -- Revolutionary War

- Carry On, Mr. Bowditch (Latham) -- early US sailor who improved naval navigation; a family favorite

- The Great Wheel (Lawson) -- building of the first Ferris Wheel in 1893; another family favorite

- Race to Kitty Hawk (Rigsby) -- 2 girls meet/help the Wright Brothers

- Twenty and Ten (Bishop) -- WWII French children hide Jewish children

- The Little Riders (Shemin) -- WWII occupied Europe; girl hides lead statues from the Nazis

- Snow Treasure (McSwigan) -- WWII Norweigan children hide the country's gold from the Nazis

- The House of Sixty Fathers (de Jong) -- Chnese boy's adventures in WWII occupied China

- Winged Watchman (Van Stockum) -- WWII occupied Denmark from a boy's point of view

ANIMAL ADVENTURES (real)

- Big Red (Kjelgaard)

- Gentle Ben (Morey)

- Rascal (North)

- Shiloh (Naylor)

- Owls in the Family (Mowat)

- My Side of the Mountain (George)

- Summer of the Monkeys (Rawls)

ANIMAL ADVENTURES (talking animal)

- Rikki Tikki Tavi; The Jungle Book (Kipling)

- Trumpet of the Swan (White) -- one of my DH's all-time favorites to read to DC

- Ben and I; Mr. Revere and I (Lawson)

- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (O'Brien)

- Wind in the Willows (Grahame)

- Redwall Series (Jacques)

- The Reluctant Dragon (Grahame)

Edited by Lori D.

Maybe something like Farmer Boy or Caddie Woodlawn?

We really like Sid Fleishman books--Chauncy and The Grand Rascal is a fav around here, and By The Great Horn Spoon was good, too.

They are both funny and interesting.

Our favorite Roald Dahl books were Big Friendly Giant (The BFG), Charlie and the Choc Factory, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and The Twits (a little mean-spirited, but quite funny, in an English sort of way).

My dh read all the Narnia books to dd when she was 8-9. They particularly liked The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

Wolf Story by William McCleery http://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Story-William-McCleery/dp/0208021914/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283749522&sr=8-1

It's actually a story within a story - a boy wants his dad to tell him a story- but it's got to be about a wolf... and it needs to be scary... so the boy keeps "suggesting" story lines to the dad. It's very entertaining; I'm sure your husband would enjoy reading it! Check out the reviews on Amazon.

Here are some adventure-based titles for you:

FANTASY ADVENTURE

- Chronicles of Narnia (Lewis)

- Peter and the Starcatchers (and sequels) (Barry)

- The Secret of Platform 13 (Ibbotson)

. . .

Slight hijack . . . Lori D., I've noticed that you always seem to have great book lists handy (and organized!). Do you have them online somewhere? Or would you be willing to share them?

Alas, nothing online, other than old threads here. I tailor make lists by cutting/pasting from files on the hard drive, and then adding titles from other people's suggestions in threads, and sometimes searches on Amazon and other book sites. Most of my ideas come from the 1000 Good Books list, Sonlight lists, Veritas, and Ambleside Online, which all have far bigger book lists than I do! :)

Alas, nothing online, other than old threads here. I tailor make lists by cutting/pasting from files on the hard drive, and then adding titles from other people's suggestions in threads, and sometimes searches on Amazon and other book sites. Most of my ideas come from the 1000 Good Books list, Sonlight lists, Veritas, and Ambleside Online, which all have far bigger book lists than I do! :)

Oh, well! I trawl those lists fairly frequently myself. :001_smile: Yours are always so well organized by subject/reading level/type of book or whatever. Thanks for the ones you've shared, though. They've been helpful for compiling my own lists!