Menu

Critical thinking/Logic

Nakia

Andrew (11yo) enjoys Dr. Funster's Creative Thinking Puzzlers. They are also from The Critical Thinking Co. We all like Red Herring Mysteries. I put them on the fridge and all the kids try to solve them. At this age, I think it should be fun. My 13yo is doing Critical Thinking and it is a lot more work, and then . . . she'll get Traditional Logic or Introductory Logic in 9th (not sure which one yet - different kids of mine have taken to one or the other) and that's even harder. I like to ease them in and make it fun in 5th/6th grade.

Nakia, remind me and you can look at these when you come over.:001_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Andrew (11yo) enjoys Dr. Funster's Creative Thinking Puzzlers. They are also from The Critical Thinking Co. We all like Red Herring Mysteries. I put them on the fridge and all the kids try to solve them. At this age, I think it should be fun. My 13yo is doing Critical Thinking and it is a lot more work, and then . . . she'll get Traditional Logic or Introductory Logic in 9th (not sure which one yet - different kids of mine have taken to one or the other) and that's even harder. I like to ease them in and make it fun in 5th/6th grade.

Nakia, remind me and you can look at these when you come over.:001_smile:

I will try and remember, lol!

I bought the Mindbenders books for Anna, and she enjoys those. I also bought the Building Thinking Skills, and those, she detests. What would you all recommend for logic/critical thinking? She is 10 and just starting 5th grade.

I had a feeling my 5th grade daughter would not like the BTS workbook either - so I got her the CD-rom, so far she likes it - I went through a tried several of the activities. I think it might be a bit more on the light side compared to the workbook (at least from the sample pages I saw) but I can see s ome value in it - and it will give her a break from all her written work.

We also do mindbenders on cd-rom. We have all the A series.

The second edition of TWTM recommended the Mindbender warm-up book, we had it from my the oldest child - so she'll do that as well.

One of my main reasons for choosing the cd-rom is so that she can do it all independently. It corrects her and keep tracks of her progress. if I had to add it to my list of hands on with the kids - it probably wouldn't get done!

Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff, and Orbiting Logic are three that I've seen a lot on this board. Countdown is for about 3rd grade; Liftoff, 4th-ish grade; Orbiting, 5th-7th grades. I read on one of the boards that it might help with continuity if you start at the beginning even if you have an older student. Your choice, though. These are published by Prufrock Press, and are about $9-$10 each.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama
Cost of books...

Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff, and Orbiting Logic are three that I've seen a lot on this board. Countdown is for about 3rd grade; Liftoff, 4th-ish grade; Orbiting, 5th-7th grades. I read on one of the boards that it might help with continuity if you start at the beginning even if you have an older student. Your choice, though. These are published by Prufrock Press.

:iagree:

My older 2 are working through these books, and when they're done we'll begin Critical Thinking Book One.

Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff, and Orbiting Logic are three that I've seen a lot on this board. Countdown is for about 3rd grade; Liftoff, 4th-ish grade; Orbiting, 5th-7th grades. I read on one of the boards that it might help with continuity if you start at the beginning even if you have an older student. Your choice, though. These are published by Prufrock Press, and are about $9-$10 each.

:iagree:I've only used the last one, but will definitely be using the series with my youngest. Prufrock press has several other thinking books. I'm using some of the early elementary books with ds.

Mindware has books with logic puzzles called Perplexors. They contain many more puzzles in each than the Mind Bender books. I always like getting more for my money. They also have various kinds and several levels of each. I think they have some other logic books if you look around.