Menu

Please tell me about water polo... for high school

Club swimming, even high school swimming, I know about. Water polo-not so much. My dd has been a varsity swimmer for the last three years. Her senior guy friends have decided to "recruit" her younger brother (15) for the water polo team. They are picking him up at 7:15am tomorrow. Should I be fearful? The boy is short, slight, and not typically into contact sports. Please don't ask about the year he played football. The one water polo match I saw, ended with the girl goalie having a bloody mouth. Is this really going to be a good thing?

All I can tell you is that my girls LOVE to play. It is a huge treat for them during swim practice when it is allowed. They like it best when it is "no rules". I think it looks absolutely brutal. Let us know how it goes!

Brutal sports are good for young men :D

I approve :lol:

Bill

But...it's not about the young man...it's about the thousands of dollars of dental work that are in progress right now. Shoot! Noses are nothing.:D

I love the water polo drill the coach required when I was at University (and was not on the water polo team).

The guys had to take a 5 gallon plastic water bottle (of the sort used for home delivered water) into the pool, submerge it and fill it with water. Then, while treading water in the deep-end, lift the upside down water bottle up out of the water and drain the whole bloody thing of water by holding the 5 gallon bottle up over their heads whilst kicking like fiends to keep their arms and bodies sufficiently above the water-line for the whole 5 gallons to drain.

Impressively brutal!!!

Bill (who preferred to bleed on dry land :tongue_smilie:)

Edited by Spy Car

I love the water polo drill the coach required when I was at University (and was not on the water polo team).

The guys had to take a 5 gallon plastic water bottle (of the sort used for home delivered water) into the pool, submerge it and fill it with water. Then, while treading water in the deep-end, lift the upside down water bottle up out of the water and drain the whole bloody thing of water by holding the % gallon bottle up over their heads whilst kicking like fiends to keep their arms and bodies sufficiently above the water-line for the whole 5 gallons to drain.

Impressively brutal!!!

Bill (who preferred to bleed on dry land :tongue_smilie:)

Ahhh, that is a good one. Btw, bleeding in the water is so much more efficient than on dry land.

Ahhh, that is a good one. Btw, bleeding in the water is so much more efficient than on dry land.

Bleeding in the water does make a bigger show :D

I learned tonight that Association Football (soccer) coaches (and mom and dads) don't necessarily approve of "rugby" skills being added to their form of football--when it results in a bit of blood.

Oops! :tongue_smilie:

Say you're sorry son!

Bill (who is semi-indifferent to a little blood-letting :tongue_smilie:)

Club swimming, even high school swimming, I know about. Water polo-not so much. My dd has been a varsity swimmer for the last three years. Her senior guy friends have decided to "recruit" her younger brother (15) for the water polo team. They are picking him up at 7:15am tomorrow. Should I be fearful? The boy is short, slight, and not typically into contact sports. Please don't ask about the year he played football. The one water polo match I saw, ended with the girl goalie having a bloody mouth. Is this really going to be a good thing?

My kids LOVE water polo...but it is rough...sometimes. It really depends on the kids and the coach.

My kids actually tlike it when it is on the rougher side. They play hard. So far, my kids have only played with their swim team friends. The summer team is rough and has ended up with players getting a broken nose or a cracked rib....crazy! When they have played with the winter team, it was much more mikd and the rules of the game were followed....coach making sure no one got too out of hand. I have never seen anyone injured there past a few scratches or a tiny bump. Needless to say, the kids like the summer better and parents and coaches like the winter better.

I'd let ds try it. If it is too rough, he won't want to play...or worse...he might WANT to play.

Water polo is fun. :D

Faithe

:lol::lol::lol:You all are such a helpful, comforting crew.:tongue_smilie:Ds did indeed go to the three hour practice today. He did the hour and a half in the water and was only mildly disconcerted by someone larger than him pressing down on his shoulders while he's trying to keep his head above water. He thinks he has the hang of the eggbeater. The two mile run was fine and the land drills were fun. There is just one minor detail I hadn't considered. "Mom, when I run track, I just run round and round. When I swim, I just swim back and forth, back and forth. Water polo? Man, you gotta think with water polo. I just don't know if that is my kind of sport.":001_huh:

In ancient history, Staff Sergeant would be a Roman soldier. Give him an order, discipline, a plan, and three square meals. Swimmer Dude is Greek all the way. Give him a good argument any day.

There is another 3 hour practice tomorrow. We'll see.