Menu

Dictionary for age 8?

egomet_bonmot

I've always hit the jackpot on WTM and thanks for any help on this!

I'm looking for the perfect English dictionary for an eight-year-old. Old school and trying to avoid pictures & illustrations, but definitions geared to the young would be a big plus. Cloth bound but small enough for little hands, and ideally the book falls wide open for easy reference.

My hunch is that someone has a favorite volume published ~60 years ago to recommend that I can pick up on Abebooks. Thank you so much for any suggestions!

Tim

My 8 boy loves his Webster's New World Children's Dictionary. We got it at Office Despot. Kiddo watched it for weeks and insisted on it for his birthday.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471786888/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0028627660&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09SH07XY5TRQ4JA27GZF

My favorite for that age is the American Heritage Student Dictionary. It does have a few illustrations, but it's certainly *not* a picture dictionary. It seems to have an excellent range as well. The one place it does not fit your criteria is size -- it's big, and my kids and I generally open it flat on a table/couch/floor in order to look for things. Still, it's by far the best juvenile dictionary I've tried.