Menu

My science and history cycles aren't in sync

mindygz

So, I guess I didn't know or forgot about the idea of keeping the history/science cycles in sync, but last year we did SOTW1 and Earth/Space Science when DD8 was in 2nd grade. So now I can't decide if we should do biology (since we didn't really do that in 1st grade) and save Chemistry for going along with SOTW3, or do Chemistry now and just catch biology the next time around. My kids have a good understanding of biology just from living with me, as I got my MS in Zoology and find it interesting to talk about. They are always catching bugs and we have a lot of pets, too. So, I'm mostly trying to decide if it matters that much, and if it does, it seems better to sync Chemistry with SOTW3 next year.

My DS5 (kindergarten) also does our history & science with us, if that is a consideration.

I'm confusing myself, even. :blink: What would you do if you were me?

I doesn't really matter. My science is off too because I rationalized it differently. So, ancient was earth and astronomy (you know beginning of world), middle ages was chemistry (I thought alchemy, etc.), early modern is physics (Newton was alive in the "early modern"), and biology for modern (all the advancements made in medicine, dna, etc.) I think as long as you're consistent you'll be fine - esp. for elementary school kids.

I think it's fine, too!

What's funny, is you and I are doing the same thing with the same ages! Our history and science got off b/c I did biology in 1st, but we did YR 4 with a Co-op our first year. Last year (2nd) we did SOTW 1 and Earth & Space. This year we are doing SOTW 2 and Chemistry. I also have a Ker tag-along this year!! ;)

I debated doing chemistry and considered doing another Apologia study (we enjoyed Astronomy last spring semester), but my son wanted to forge ahead with chemistry!

Anyhoo, I think you'd be fine with whatever you choose. You'll eventually cover them all! ;)

Our science has always been off. I've been going mostly by interest. So we've done astronomy about 3 times already. ;) One year we did human body and earth science. For middle school I try to cover the physical science topics more. But otherwise it's pretty much a mishmash of topics.

Cinder

The justification for keeping science somehow in sync with history is weak at best unless you're studying the history of the sciences, as with The Story of Science.

Our science is "off" too. This is our first year homeschooling so we are starting with SOTW1 but I chose Chemistry as our science because it's the one science I am not strong in and wanted to re-learn it along with my children. And then we got involved in a Co-Op who adopted the Chemistry curriculum my family had chosen so now I can't change my mind!

The linking of the science and history cycles is an artificial construct. There is nothing (other than WTM) that says you have to do biology with the ancients.

It is far more important to lay a solid foundation within the sciences. If at all possible it's best to have physics before chemistry and chemistry before earth science and biology.