Menu

Spelling question

skueppers

My daughter asked me today why "collar" is spelled with two l's. I wasn't sure what the best answer was, as I'm an excellent visual speller and never took an interest in why words are spelled the way they are.

Can anyone explain this to me? Also, since I imagine she will have more questions like this in the future, is there a book you'd recommend I read and have on hand?

If there was only one L in collar, the O would make a long sound because it would then be an open syllable. If there is one consonant between two vowels, it usually goes with the second vowel. My kids are learning these rules by using All About Spelling.

Thanks! That was my gut feeling, but I didn't think it was wise to give an explanation without having something beyond my instincts to go on. :)

I'm not really interested in implementing a formal spelling program for her, as she's a Kindergartner and we have enough to do as it is! But if anyone has thoughts about something I could read myself so as to be better equipped to handle these types of questions in the future, I'm all ears!

It's funny because I am training right now to use Barton level 4 (multisyllabic words) and this very issue was addressed. Like the previous poster said, the syllables of the word would split into co-lar which would have a long "o" sound. If you hear the short vowel sound but there is no consonant ending the syllable, then double the consonant starting the next syllable. They use the example of the word "happy".

If there was only one L in collar, the O would make a long sound because it would then be an open syllable. If there is one consonant between two vowels, it usually goes with the second vowel. My kids are learning these rules by using All About Spelling.
But even then...

choler

cholera

come from the Latin cholera which came from the Greek kholera

collar

ultimately comes from the Latin collare

There are only just over a dozen two syllable words in English ending in "l(v)r, and "choler" and "color" are the only exceptions to worry about.

But even then...

choler

cholera

come from the Latin cholera which came from the Greek kholera

collar

ultimately comes from the Latin collare

There are only just over a dozen two syllable words in English ending in "l(v)r, and "choler" and "color" are the only exceptions to worry about.

Aha! Now THIS is a big part of what I would like to know when I have questions. Do you just know this from years of study in diverse resources, or are there reference works you would recommend?

The derivation of any given word I can of course look up in the OED. But what I don't currently know how to find out is things like how many words follow which spelling patterns, how many exceptions there are, and what someone who knows all of this would recommend in terms of explaining the spelling to a child.

You can see this in my syllable division rules.

I have spelling and syllable division rules linked at the end of my how to tutor page.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

A good book for 3rd grade and above that combines spelling and vocab via root study is M.K. Henry's words.

http://www.proedinc.com/customer/productView.aspx?ID=989&SearchWord=words

Aha! Now THIS is a big part of what I would like to know when I have questions. Do you just know this from years of study in diverse resources, or are there reference works you would recommend?
I wish. When I'm curious, I look it up either in my Shorter Oxford (on the computer) or the OED (online through the library). The Shorter Oxford has a crossword answer finder, so I can search for words

??ol?r

?ol?r

etc.

But there are undoubtably free crossword answer generators online.

The derivation of any given word I can of course look up in the OED. But what I don't currently know how to find out is things like how many words follow which spelling patterns, how many exceptions there are, and what someone who knows all of this would recommend in terms of explaining the spelling to a child.
I wouldn't worry too much about exceptions (other than very common ones) early on. More often than not, the rules will work.

I think we all have our problem spots: I have trouble with the "-ant/ance/ancy" and "-ent/ence/ency" rules and exceptions.

• 2 weeks later...
So that book has the root words and where from? I took Latin in high school, so recognize a lot of the Latin base words, though I don't know which ones are from other roots. I'd like to be able to answer the same types of questions from ds.

No, but it will tell you if language of origin plays a part in certain spelling patterns, and what language, how often the spelling pattern occurs, any exceptions, etc... Definitely a helpful resource!

For the etymology of individual words, get a good etymological dictionary. I have one from my college days--really I hate to use a dictionary that doesn't include etymologies! The one I have is an American Heritage. There are some Webster's that have etymologies too--you just have to look for that in the description.

Merry :-)